• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what 2 do with a toddler(2years) that...

pattypatty

Earning My Ears
what to do with a toddler who is 2 years old and 4 months and he throws everything and to anyone!! I'm afraid that my nephew he is gonna throw something at disney to someone. Does anyone here has that BIG problem with their child? We tell him NO, and hit him a little in the hand if it continues but he doesn't obey :furious: :sad2: and we are going to disney this fridayyyyy!!! yesterday he threw a flashlight with batteries and everything to my mother and he laughs like is it funny:( my mother now has a bad eye pirate: He is a hyper kid.

ps. I'm afraid to give him somthing like a book or coloring book at the airplane because i'm afraid he will throw it to the other passengers! :sad2:

uh....i have no idea how to stop that, but how log has it been going on? If its something he's been doing for a long time, you are gonna have a hard time stopping it....uh...maybe try flicking him??? My friends kid likes to spit so his mom will flick him in the mouth...its the only thing that gets him....(he eve starts to cry, even though is mom isnt hurting him, i think it just kinda hurts his feelings or embarasses him) i dunno...maybe try time-out?

Try positive reinforcement. When you give him something and he holds it for even a couple of seconds, praise and clap for him. Then keep doing it and wait for the praise time until he can keep a hold of things longer and longer. Let him know what you expect and hopefully he will learn!

he started to do this a few weeks agoo... i think is like a phase.... I hope. I hope that he is gonna be entertained a lot at disney and he is not going 2 think about throwing things. :wizard: :sad2: :banana: :banana: anyways I think that we are not gonna let him grab anything......at all

As a mom to one laid-back child and one highly spirited child, I can tell you that we had to start time outs with the spirited one at 14 months old. At the time, it was in a pack n play where we would put her after being naughty. It has worked well. Don't get me wrong - at 2.5 now, she still tests us and I know she will every day of our lives - but we've adjusted discipline with her age. We take away toys that she likes, use timeout (and place her back in it again and again until she stays), don't allow any treats (Easter candy, etc.) if she's been bad. There are lots of ideas to 'step up' the discipline to his level of understanding (and I, for one, think they understand a lot more than you might think at this age).

It's just a big commitment to come up with the strategy that will work best for him and stick to it.

Good luck!

If he is going to be in a stroller, they have things that will attatch to the stroller and toy so incase he tries to throw it, it goes no where!

As a mom of a 3yo DS I know what you are going through. He also likes to throw things. Last year at 50's PTC he threw the dish that holds the sugar clear across the restaurant! I was so embarrased. What I try to do is sternly tell him no and do not let him have what he threw. When we go to a restaurant we remove almost everything from the table and give him a toy to play with. If he throws it, we don't give it back. If he starts to scream I will remove him from where we are.
Good luck!!

Try and nip it in the bud... We had the same problem with my daughter last month. She woke up one day a totally different kid. When she started to "act up" (for lack of a better word) we started to take her favorite toys away and putting them in the closet. If they went into the closet they stayed in there until the next day... Within the first couple of days just about everything she owned was in the closet!! :rotfl2: But she learned pretty quick. It only took a few days.

Maybe you should tell your son that he won't be able to go and see the Mouse if he keeps doing bad things!

Good luck!

When one of my two daughters act out we have a time out corner. They are put in to the corner from either 2-3 minutes(depending upon their age). After the time out we ask them if they know why they received the time out. If they answer "no" than we explain what the bad behavior was. After the explanation they have to go to everyone in the room and apologize (even my cats..lol.. :rotfl2: ).
We also try to get them to verbarlize what is making them mad, sad, or frustrated. Sometimes this helps them get down to the root of the problem.
It may not work for everyone, but it does work for us. It is worth a try. :)

pattypatty - I feel like you are describing my son here! He is exactly the same. I just want to say that personally I think it is a phrase they go through and to stay persistent, be firm, don’t shout, although I know it is hard to get stressed. I am a nursery nurse and I have the patience of a saint but sometimes he tests it to the MAX! Taking him to the super market is a task in itself - he screams in a high pitch - more like a screech! He chucks everything, spills his drinks, empty the dogs bowl etc. Everyone looks at me as if to say 'bad mother, bad child'. It really bothers me, my child could have autism or some other condition and it really saddens me that people are so quick to judge. Children express themselfs in different ways, I firmly tell my son NO, may occasionally tap his hand, put him to bed (they have to learn right?) but what else can you do? Send them to boot camp!?

While at Disney don't give him anything that he can throw. Or have what ever you give him have the ability to be tethered to his sleeve or stroller.

Remove the cause. I am a firm believer that if a child cannot be passively controlled in a public environment then one doesn't go to a public environment with him or her. That covers restaurants in particular but any public forum in general.

My wife and I were in perfect agreement when we were raising our children. If we couldn't take the kids without embarrassment, either we or they didn't go. The kids understood that early on and we never had a problem with them. If, on the rare occasion, they did act out they found out how fast we could leave places ending the fun.

how's he going to learn about gravity etc if he doesn't experiment ? ;)(well kind of ;) but also not )

maybe try to limit the "weapons" he can get to soft things that wouldn't hurt someone till he gets over this stage and if he wings it at someone, i wouldn't give it back..praise him and show him what to do with something like a flashlight other than throw it and take it away if the behaviour is inappropriate...guess i'm a firm believer in you are really teaching/training your kids all the time

granddaughter is into that also so that's what we do and tell her firmly no-no when it's something inappropriate and sing the Dora " you did it " song when it's something good.( who have ever thought my husband would sing along with Dora the Explorer :teeth: ) really though some is experimentation/learning so you don't want to totally stifle it, just substitute and try to make it less hazardous and imo at 2 they are just so interested in everything they aren't really trying to drive you nuts...well most times :rolleyes:

Time outs and be consistent. Don't worry, everyone should understand that he is 2 if he does throw something. Maybe give him some soft toys in case he does throw like a couple of mini plush disney characters from the disney store. Have a great time!!

goofyernmost said:
While at Disney don't give him anything that he can throw. Or have what ever you give him have the ability to be tethered to his sleeve or stroller.

Remove the cause. I am a firm believer that if a child cannot be passively controlled in a public environment then one doesn't go to a public environment with him or her. That covers restaurants in particular but any public forum in general.

My wife and I were in perfect agreement when we were raising our children. If we couldn't take the kids without embarrassment, either we or they didn't go. The kids understood that early on and we never had a problem with them. If, on the rare occasion, they did act out they found out how fast we could leave places ending the fun.

I agree completely and while I was reading this thread kept thinking, don't give him anything to throw. What he has to have like a sippy cup, tie to him in some way. While eating out, remove everything from his reach. If he throws the food, he is obviously not hungry so move that too. It ain't rocket science. Sorry to sound snippy. I don't mean it that way. I know my son has been a terror at times (he is 15 and a half now) but by and large he has been a really good kid his whole life, even now as a teenager. I just know so many parents who over think the whole parenting thing. I am a true believer in removing the object of the problem at hand or removing the child. We rarely had to use time out with DS because he hated it so much. Usually just a threat of timeout did it for him. I have two DN, 2 and 4. Timeout works for them usually and they hate it but it does work. I guess what I am trying to say is relax and enjoy the trip and just don't let him have anything to throw and all will go much better. I really don't think WDW is the place to try to teach him not to throw.

weeluvdisney said:
Time outs and be consistent. Don't worry, everyone should understand that he is 2 if he does throw something. Maybe give him some soft toys in case he does throw like a couple of mini plush disney characters from the disney store. Have a great time!!

Thank you for suggesting soft toys, because if any 2 year old threw something hard (like a flashlight) at my (or any stranger's) head I don't think I would understand.
Children on a plane (including mine) can annoy people, children throwing soft mickey's can annoy people, children throwing hard objects can injure someone and get the parent's return air passage revoked.

To the OP - good luck on your trip, hopefully it is just a stage, if it continues for tooo long you might speak to your pediatrician, some early behavior problems indicate other issues that early intervention can help with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter