• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What’s the deal with bringing a fan?

Menopause, so….. 🙄 I usually ask them to bring me a fan. I’ve had to do it on all the ships I’ve sailed on. It was no big deal. 🙂

i had brought a fan with the wrap around wire thing and used it just on my sons stroller but havent needed it for the room ever,

We just got off the Magic and our room was always warm. They even came by and looked at it and said nothing was wrong. Our stateroom attendant found a room dehumidifier for us that blew air out like a fan and it helped tremendously.

We just got off the Magic and our room was always warm. They even came by and looked at it and said nothing was wrong. Our stateroom attendant found a room dehumidifier for us that blew air out like a fan and it helped tremendously.
Out of curiosity…what room?

Sorry to hear you sent them both back. Unless you are extremely cold natured, there is always a chance of not getting the temperature right when away from home. Hotels and cruise ships - large blocks of individually adjusted air conditioning - just seems to present problems.

As for having the room steward magically adjust your temperature, the controls are all pretty straight forward. Maybe no numbers, but if you are hot, dial it down.

Our May cruise, we left it on the coldest setting, kept the curtains drawn in the daytime (oceanview), but it took nearly 5 days to finally be cool enough for my sister (and she did have a fan). In the meantime, I wore a polar fleece jacket over long pajamas. Two people, same cabin - different experience.

Hot air rises - the upper berth may be warmer than the bed.

If I am correct, other than the Magic & Wonder, the power turns off when you take the card from the control slot as you leave. Which would mean your room has no cool or circulating air in the Caribbean. In a metal box of a cabin. And often, people leave the darkening curtain open.

Just some thoughts.

We like our cabin As cold as possible. We keep the thermostat as low as possible. On occasion I have asked the steward to have maintenance come in, clean the filter and try to get it colder. We also ask the steward for a fan, which we have always received. Having moving air at night is very important to me being able to sleep.

I hate being cold but have my ceiling fan on year round. I just like air movement. I'll probably just deal with the lack of one for 4 nights.

Just fyi, I sailed on the Magic last month and there was no problem at all keeping my room very cool. A/C works well and is easily adjustable by guests.
That’s been our experience on all of the ships. We have a small travel clock that includes a temperature display. That allows me to self-calibrate the A/C setting, since there are no numbers on the thermostat. Otherwise, it’s strictly trial-and-error.

After seeing a lot of people say the cabins can get hot, I ordered two portable fans. One has a sturdy base and one wraps around a rail for my little one who will be on the top bunk.

Today we read that the rooms are temperature controlled and you can ask your cabin steward to adjust the temperature to your liking. If this is the case, why does everybody bring portable fans? Do the room controls just not work very well?

We travel with one for noise. Can’t sleep without the fan now. Been that way for many years.

Most people who bring fans are those "fan sleepers" at home.

If you are someone you know is consistently a "fan sleeper", it may be an indication of ADD/ADHD. Most people can ignore minor noise and get to sleep, but persons with this problem can't ignore the random noise and can't sleep. The white noise of the fan cuts distraction. The problem is not limited to hyperactive children, it happens in adults, too. Consult a medical professional.

-Paul

I sleep with a fan because I'm always hot, even if I go to sleep cold, I wake up really warm. A fan on me helps a lot. When at home in the summer, we sleep with the air set at 67 degrees, a ceiling fan and 2 additional tables fans, one on each side of the room, and sometimes I still wake up warm. So, I always travel with a little fan. My usual one has been approved by DCL most times, but the past couple it was denied, so I brought a usb fan on the last one and there were no issues with that. I also don't want to freeze my other family members :)

Out of curiosity…what room?
Room 1076 on Magic. I was worried about having a room that far down on ship. It was actually amazing other than being hot. One morning everyone talked about being sick the night before from the ship rocking. We felt nothing! The only people we ever saw pass our room were cast members so no loud noise in hallway.

After seeing a lot of people say the cabins can get hot, I ordered two portable fans. One has a sturdy base and one wraps around a rail for my little one who will be on the top bunk.

Today we read that the rooms are temperature controlled and you can ask your cabin steward to adjust the temperature to your liking. If this is the case, why does everybody bring portable fans? Do the room controls just not work very well?

TIA!
been cruising with DCL since 1998 and have 53 DCL cruises. Never brought a fan.

MJ

If you are someone you know is consistently a "fan sleeper", it may be an indication of ADD/ADHD. Most people can ignore minor noise and get to sleep, but persons with this problem can't ignore the random noise and can't sleep. The white noise of the fan cuts distraction. The problem is not limited to hyperactive children, it happens in adults, too. Consult a medical professional.

-Paul
You are aware that ADD and ADHD is a spectrum right. Many people fall on the spectrum somewhere most can live 100% "normal" lives without medication or doctor intervention.

Like me for example, recently I spoke with my doctor about it and she did say I do fall on the ADD spectrum but she has no need to intervene with medication or anything because I handle life just fine. ADD/ADHD is not this terrible disease that people need to get help immediately if they have it. If you have trouble functioning or struggle with the day to day by all means. But jumping off the deep end because someone doesn't like the silents or prefers movement in the air is a little extreme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter