What’s for Dinner Tonight?

We're going to be hitting the road again soon, so we ordered pizza from our favorite, local Italian restaurant last night. Meat Lovers for DH. Tomato sauce, Mozzarella, diced tomatoes, Prosciutto, Arugula and shaved Parmesan cheese for me. That will be lunch today as well.

Dinner is undecided, so I'll have to get back to you.

My lack of posting on here is evidence of how little I plan our meals in advance. Tonight, I'm grabbing some barbecue so we can relax and watch the Duke/UH basketball game. Debating about brisket mac & cheese or a brisket and sausage plate with serrano potato salad and cornbread.

Recipe, please?
This is the classic South Texas way for making salsa, the kind you’ll find in the authentic border restaurants. It’s how our family has always made it but I don’t have an official recipe. It’s super easy though. You boil all the ingredients for about 10 minutes and then blend in the blender with a half a bunch of fresh cilantro and lime.

The ingredients:
5-6 Roma tomatoes (whole- leave skin on them)
1 large jalapeño (whole- just remove the stem after boiling)
1 small Serrano (optional)
2-3 garlic cloves
1/4 white onion (optional)
Salt (I never measure- maybe a teaspoon)

Cover with water and boil for 10 minutes or until fully softened. Remove the veggies and place in blender. Add a little of the cooking water to blender, not too much maybe a 1/4 cup at a time to your desired consistency during the blending process. Add a tiny bit of knorr chicken base, maybe an 1/2 teaspoon. You can also use Better than Bullion) Add in a 1/2 bunch of cilantro and blend/puree. Add in the juice of one lime then pulse a few more times.

Serve warm and you have a true taste of South Texas. Enjoy!

I live in CT and today is 57 and sunny which is delightful for March. Having a few friends over today for patio time and will light the fire pit. I’m serving

Cheese board
Shrimp cocktail
Pigs in a blanket
Bacon wrapped scallops
A boxes of mixed frozen apps from Trader Joe’s
Deviled eggs
Chips and dip.
S’mores
A friend is bringing pastry from a great bakery near her

I’ll also have sparkling from my favorite vineyard

Last night: Cheese ravioli, sauce, meatballs, salad. Everybody worked late so it was frozen ravioli, frozen meatballs, and canned (but doctored up) sauce. Salad was fresh (if you what's in the fridge "fresh!")

Tonight: It's supposed to be homemade macaroni and cheese, but I just learned that DD/SonIL won't be home for dinner. Mac and cheese is a lot of work for just the 3 of us and I'm tuckered (and I have a butt-load of grading to do), so I think the mac and cheese will be pushed over to Monday night and tonight we'll do last night's leftovers. I'm trying to think of a way to fancy them up so it doesn't look like we are eating the same thing 2 nights in a row. I might do the ravioli in browned butter (with garlic or lemon... or both). Meatballs and sauce can be kept for another night- or frozen. I bought 2 rotisserie chickens from Sam's today so we could have chicken with the ravioli, and steamed broccoli.
[The chickens have had the meat removed and the bones are currently boiling down with leftover peelings from the freezer to make "garbage broth" as DD called it when she was little.]

Easter: We are having brunch with our SonIL's family at noon. DD will make either chicken and dumplings or chicken pot pie for dinner using the stock that is currently cooking down, as well as the white meat of the chicken. The rest of the chicken will probably become chicken salad for lunches/snacks this week; the little guy LOVES it on crackers!

Barbecue chicken quarters over the campfire. We have various salads and sides as well but the star is the chicken.
I'm so jealous of your camping meals. Cooking over an open, wood fire sounds great. Do you have a group of people that you schedule meetups with ahead of time or do you just make friends, after you get there? I'm asking, because DH & I stay in campground cabins occasionally, if his jobsite has one available. I've never thought to ask anyone to join us, when we grill. That sounds really nice.

I'm so jealous of your camping meals. Cooking over an open, wood fire sounds great. Do you have a group of people that you schedule meetups with ahead of time or do you just make friends, after you get there? I'm asking, because DH & I stay in campground cabins occasionally, if his jobsite has one available. I've never thought to ask anyone to join us, when we grill. That sounds really nice.
There is a mix actually. I have met people because we all go to the same campgrounds and have seen each other off and on for years now. We really don't plan to go at certain times but we pretty much know we'll see each other based on our normal schedule and patterns.

I usually meet others just by saying hello and stopping to talk to each other as well. There is a large group of Mennonites here celebrating Easter at the campground I'm at now. It's been a fun and happy surprise and I'm really enjoying spending time with them as well.

I think if you make an effort to meet and greet people, inviting or getting invited to a night time campfire will start some great relationships. It's certainly working for me.

There is a mix actually. I have met people because we all go to the same campgrounds and have seen each other off and on for years now. We really don't plan to go at certain times but we pretty much know we'll see each other based on our normal schedule and patterns.

I usually meet others just by saying hello and stopping to talk to each other as well. There is a large group of Mennonites here celebrating Easter at the campground I'm at now. It's been a fun and happy surprise and I'm really enjoying spending time with them as well.

I think if you make an effort to meet and greet people, inviting or getting invited to a night time campfire will start some great relationships. It's certainly working for me.
That's awesome that you've been able to spend time with a group of Mennonites. I'm sure they make you feel closer to your parents, during the holiday.

I can see how camping could be conducive to a close knit community. We need to get out & socialize more the next time we stay in a cabin.

It sounds like your trip is off to a great start. Safe travels & fun times ahead. Happy Easter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter