Whale Watching Thoughts

We are firming up our plans for our June trip, and it looks like we may be doing the cruise from Dana Point at 8:00 AM on a Wednesday. How much time should we allow to travel from DLR to Dana Point? Is that a good or bad direction at that time of day? Thanks!

I'm curious about the timeframe too. We are considering a trip in early August. Does anyone know how good the whale watching is at that time of year?

I'm curious about the timeframe too. We are considering a trip in early August. Does anyone know how good the whale watching is at that time of year?

Don't know about August, by when I posted the time question on another thread, it was recommended we leave at 6:00 AM for an 8:00 AM departure, so we are going with that.

We have a few days in LA for some non-Disneyland activities. I keep coming back to a whale watching trip, but I have some concerns.

First off, does anyone have any preferences ... both in companies and locations? I've found some that go from Dana Point and some from Newport Landing. Obviously drive times are different and prices vary, but is there any advantage of one location over another or is one company better than the other? I know sightings aren't guaranteed and they may not go out if weather is bad.

My other big concern is life jackets. I know all of the boats have to have them for emergency situations, but I was quite concerned that the one company I reached out to said that they aren't available under any other circumstance. So, basically the boat has to be going down for you to get a life jacket. I know these are not small boats, but we've been out on large party boats for fishing, glass bottom boats, and other types of large pleasure cruises/vessels in other states (even Mexico and Canada) and life jackets were always available to anyone who wanted to wear one. My coworkers think I'm overreacting, but we've done a lot of boating activities over the years and I've never been denied a life jacket...especially for a child.

Finally, aside from possible savings, can you think of any advantages to booking in advance? Just thinking we may want to play this by ear, but if sell outs are common, maybe it's worth it.
It's southern California, they're gonna go out, the weather will be fine. The ocean is calm down here too do so don't worry, you won't have any problems. You'll for sure see dolphins(which they count as whales) but actual whales are spotty to find.
They are required to have life jackets, but the spots where the whales like to hang out are calm, you won't have any issues with being scared of going overboard. The boats all have galleys down below deck with tables and benches. You'll have a great time

Not many whales in August, they cruise thru mostly during winter and spring months, but lots of dolphins.

It's southern California, they're gonna go out, the weather will be fine. The ocean is calm down here too do so don't worry, you won't have any problems. You'll for sure see dolphins(which they count as whales) but actual whales are spotty to find.
They are required to have life jackets, but the spots where the whales like to hang out are calm, you won't have any issues with being scared of going overboard. The boats all have galleys down below deck with tables and benches. You'll have a great time

What's funny...the day we went out was really rough. They debated about canceling and refunding $. It was so choppy that anyone at the front of the boat got drenched and the wind ended up blowing down one of the life rafts. We only saw a small handful of dolphins, but the two cruises later than day saw a couple of grays and humpback (things had calmed down later in he day). Still, it was fun and not something we get to do every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter