• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whale Sighting at Vero!!

PamOKW

<font color=green>The two most important items for
You can almost hear the excitement in this report. Right whales were spotted off the Disney beach. There's also a report of a panther sighting in the area.

Any DVC'ers down there for the action?

Global Lifeguard Report

postpics.gif

SO GET THAT DIGITAL CAMERA OUT ASAP!!!!

I've told DH that he has to take me to the Blue Springs SP to see a winter home of manatees, and now Dh will have to put up with me gazing the horizon, looking for whales! I can't wait to go to Vero!

Pictures would be nice. I hope someone obliges!

Bobbi:D

Woooaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Get that mouse & duck and their buddies back inside the buildings.......ASAP :earseek: :earseek:

Bob

Blue Spring State Park is an awesome side trip to take in the winter months. It is amazing how many manatees are there. You can't swim in the manatee area, but my son and his wife were swimming in the swimming area and the manatee swam right to them and played with them.

OKWJan, that is awesome! Brutus is our "adopted" manatee and he winters in Blue Springs SP!

Bobbi:D

OFF TOPIC ALERT...

I want to adopt a manatee! How do I go about it?

I saw a manatee and her baby drinking fresh water from a slowly dripping hose on Captiva Island. I was able to reach down off the pier we were on and pat them. It was so touching. The friend I was with said they were like a cross between a walrus and a hampster!!! I thought that was very acurate. It is so sad that these beautiful and peaceful animals are endangered because of us humans! So how can I adopt one...

OK... back to the whale sightings at Vero.

Yes, I hope someone will post a picture.

Where is the Blue Springs SP? Is it close to Vero?

Blue Springs SP is notrh of Orlando. I think right by Orange City (East off of US 17/92. On the St. John's River [?]). Operating on old memory cells here;) . But, if you can get there during Manatee season, its definately worth the trip. DW & I were there in Dec. 2001 and had no trouble getting in before Christmas (12/22?) but the place was packed after (12/28?). They close the park after a certian number of visitors enter. Its a "must do" on our Dec. 2004 trip.

There is a power plant in Vero or very near Vero that has a warm water source. In the winter, the manatees come into that warm water area. There is a parking lot and manatee viewing area clearly marked. I don't remember the exact directions from the resort to the power plant but anyone at the main desk or one of the CM's should have directions. Much closer than going to Blue Springs although you can't get into the water with them at the Vero location.

We stopped at the Power Authority in Vero in February. It is about 15 miles south of the resort (just south of Route 60). There were more than a dozen manatees hanging around the water intakes at the plant. They are beautiful animals. It does, however, present a shocking example of how directly human actions create, destroy and recreate animal habitats.

Well worth a stop if you happen to be at Vero during the winter months.

If, however, you will be near Blue Springs, I highly recommend seeing the manatees there. It is a more "natural" and definitely more beautiful habitat in which to see them.

Thanks for the post. I never thought about the chances of seeing a whale let alone possibly touching a manatee. This now has presented me with a problem. Going to VERO. Oh no another vacation???

I got up every morning looking for whales!!!, even had binoculars with a build in digital camera, all I got was pelicans! A fishing boat or some sort came by and I did see what I thought was a dolphin, but then saw plenty of those in the Indian river, but no manatees!!

This thread has got me wondering if Vero emphasizes overall nature, not just the seashore and beach, like it seems Disney's HH does. That's the main reason we love HH so much-the emphasis on overall nature. We always bring our binoculars, and don't spend much time (if any) at the Ocean. Is Vero like that too? I always assumed it was more "beach-y", so we didn't care about going there. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Originally posted by slc224
Sorry everyone, But that must have been me you saw swimming in the ocean:D :D :D

ROFL!!!

Yes, I would say Vero has a lot of "nature" to offer. I tend to desribe the beach itself as kind of "wild" or natural. It's not a great big beach like Atlantic City or some other beach resort. It just feels more private. I love watching the pelicans, looking for seashells, etc. I haven't yet been to the many places around to see the other wildlife like manatees, dolphins, etc. but hope to do that on future trips. A little north of the resort in Sebastian there is suppossed to be a great wildlife area. They've also re-done and re-opened a botanical garden in Vero.

Vero is a mix of natural Florida and very wealthy developed areas -- something for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter