We've Narrowed it Down: POR or FQ

klm7926

Mouseketeer
We were between CSR and CBR but have changed our minds to POR or FQ. I think I'm leaning a little to the FQ side since it's been recently refurbished. I'd love to hear what you have to say....

Oh I am in same boat had CBR booked, now I am booked at POFQ am I doing the right thing... so stressful.... I stayed at CBR 5 yrs ago it was great widespread. It is just Hubby and me this trip we are late 50's....just can't decide... POFQ ends up being about 100.00 more for the 3 days...

We have stayed at both POR and POFQ several times each. We like them both. FQ was refrurbished in the past year. POR is currently on the last buildings being refurbished. We are staying at the FQ in Feb. 2012 because we like the small sized to the resort - everything is close. Also, even when it is filled (only 1000 rooms compared to 2000 rooms at POR) it does not seem crowded. Has one bus stop - buses are rarely shared with POR.

Oh that is so tough. They are both great, you can't go wrong with either one. The queen size beds at FQ would win me over though.

One question, do your DS's like the pool sides? If so and you are nervous about your little one wanting to follow his older brother up to and on the slide then I would go with POFQ this year. The pool slide while still fun for a 6 year old is totally fine for a 4 year old too. POR's slide is much bigger, not really 4 year old friendly unless they are very good swimmers and independent.

With little ones the boat ride to/from DTD is a lot shorter from POFQ and the overall resort is more manageable.

FQ. Small size, great layout and theme, new rooms...we loved everything about it when we stayed last year.

I much prefered POR to POFQ. POR has all the activities of both resorts - boats, bikes, hair wraps, things like that. Also, the boat to DTD stops at POR first for pickup. The pool at POR is much better than POFQ. Also, the food court at POR is one of the best on Disney property. And while being a smaller resort has it's advantages, I like that POR is more spreadout. This way even when the resort is full, it doesn't feel as full. I also find FQ's theming to be a bit cheesy and POR's to be more laidback and realistic. Plus, your kids would enjoy Yehaa Bob in the lounge. They are both nice, but to me POR is the best moderate resort available.

I think they both have very nice themes. Personal taste, I prefer the theme of POR. However, w/kids those ages, I would recommend POFQ unless you are going to pay for a preferred room location at POR. The resort can be very spread out which is tiring for all, especially little kids, after a long day at the park. You can't go wrong with either. We visited pools at both resort, and DD7 liked both pools. FQ's slide looks cooler but POR is probably better.

I would go with French Quarter because it's smaller and the pool is better for smaller kids like yours.

We like Yeehaw Bob so much that we choose POR, but there's no reason you can't ride or walk next door when staying at the nicely refurbished rooms at POFQ.

We stayed at POR and got a refurbished room at the end of September. Two of the mansion buildings are done with refurbishments and AB is currently being worked on so if you choose POR and request a refurbished room, your chances of getting one are good. If you aren't going until the middle of next year, the refurbs at POR should be done.

We took a walk over to POFQ to check it out while we were there and found since it is so small, it seemed more crowded. And we were there in September which is low crowds. We ate breakfast in the food court and it was packed, no open tables and we had to eat in the lounge. We caught a bus to MK from there and since there is only one bus stop, it got crowded fast and found people making a mad dash to the bus when it pulled up. Since POR is more spread out, we saw very few people when walking around. The food court at POR is much bigger so there was always an open table and the lines to cash out were not bad. And since there are multiple bus depots, it dispersed the crowds well. I like the theme of POFQ, the buildings are cool and they have some really nice river view rooms that are right on the river, but I'd stay at POR again just to not feel like its packed.

Since POR is more spread out, we saw very few people when walking around. The food court at POR is much bigger so there was always an open table and the lines to cash out were not bad. And since there are multiple bus depots, it dispersed the crowds well. I like the theme of POFQ, the buildings are cool and they have some really nice river view rooms that are right on the river, but I'd stay at POR again just to not feel like its packed.
You're right, it doesn't feel packed. We stayed at POR in August 2010 and it felt very private ... and isolated. We were in the back of the AB section I had a VERY long, winding walk to the food court and main pool. I hated it. The remoteness of the AB section is part of the theme of the FQ/POR pair. The French Quarter is supposed to be the city of New Orleans. It's supposed to be busy and compact. POR is supposed to be the area outside of NOLA with the mansions close to the city (and each other) down into the winding backwater bayou. If I were to stay at POR again I would stay in the mansions because some of the AB buildings are just too remote.

We decided on POFQ because of the queen beds, and the pool looked like it would be great for our kids (ages 6 and 3). We're going in March, also. :)

So I just called to book our room for March 4-9 and neither of the Port Orleans was available WITH the dining plan!!!! :mad: It shows online as being available without the plan but with the plan they aren't. BOOOOO!!!!! So I booked CBR. I've heard such split reviews on this one so I'm nervous. Regardless I know we'll have a great time.

So I just called to book our room for March 4-9 and neither of the Port Orleans was available WITH the dining plan!!!! :mad: It shows online as being available without the plan but with the plan they aren't. BOOOOO!!!!! So I booked CBR. I've heard such split reviews on this one so I'm nervous. Regardless I know we'll have a great time.
I would call every once in awhile to see if something pops up. People cancel all the time.

We were between CSR and CBR but have changed our minds to POR or FQ. I think I'm leaning a little to the FQ side since it's been recently refurbished. I'd love to hear what you have to say....
I stayed at CBR the very first time. It's HUGE and has way too many bus stops before you can even leave the hotel. I then moved to PORL when I would bring my dogs and boarded them at the old kennel at FW. I just read they've refurbished and the rooms look beautiful. I thought they were great before, as long as you're not near the pool. We were unlucky enough to be there during cheerleader season and all the parents would party out by the pool all night long. Even nicely asking them to lower the volume after midnight didn't work. We had to be very un-Disneylike and call security to clear them out. (HATE how rude people can try to ruin a trip!) Anyway, everything is a little more spread out than FQ and the buses are plenty. If I remember correctly, there's maybe 4 stops? My vote would definitely be for PORL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter