We've decided: We're moving to Florida!

I'm not sure that you really meant it this way but moving to Fla will not make you happy everyday if you are not happy everyday now. There is a lot to not like about living in the Orlando area, trust me. Much of Central Fla is very very poor. The traffic is very bad with all the construction going on. And so many apt/condo complexes are going up it's shocking, and those usually don't turn out for the good.

You're right, I didn't mean it that way :) we have a ton of family and friends in FL and we don't want to live in Orlando or near. We want to live near our family (near Tampa) I am happy everyday here, abundantly blessed with a great family. Just want to be in FL, near the beach, it's my happy place and relaxing. And being near Disney (not 19 hours away) would just be a little bonus

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts and perspectives. I am completely new to the boards (though a DIS listener and DISapalooza attendee) and moved to Winter Garden (Hickory Hammock) 3 months ago to pursue my dream of living in my happy place all year round. Excited that some day I my meet some of my fellow "Disney Dreamers" and long-distance Orlando converts. So far I'm loving life here in Orlando and my family (2 kids, 10 and 12) have adjusted to the transition well. For those of you who are still in the "thinking it over" stage I encourage you to be bold and live the life you've only dreamed about. So far it looks like it has worked for some of us. I for one am not missing the Kansas City snow right now.

We currently live in KC....looking to move to Orlando area (prob Winter Garden area)....how would you compare the public schools to those in Overland Park are? We have a son that will be entering 9th grade when we move and a daughter entering 1st grade. Thanks.

Thank you! It's so nice to have a way to instantly connect with some new DIS/Disney enthusiasts in my area! Where did you move from?
We moved from Colorado. I am originally from Texas and the weather here is not that much different. I must admit I love living here and I really can't imagine moving back to Texas or Colorado.

We currently live in KC....looking to move to Orlando area (prob Winter Garden area)....how would you compare the public schools to those in Overland Park are? We have a son that will be entering 9th grade when we move and a daughter entering 1st grade. Thanks.
Hello! Glad to hear that another Kansas City Native is considering a move to the Winter Garden area. So far we've been very happy here and the schools here were a large part of why we selected Winter Garden. Both schools (Whispering Oaks Elementary and Sunridge Middles School) were well reviewed and my kids seem to be pretty happy with their new schools. However, we were used to the Blue Valley School District in Overland Park, KS so this is what I will say to compare the two. Pros: Shorter school days and early release on Wednesdays. Math seems to be more advanced. The middle school and local high school have a nice "campus like" feeling where some of the hallways are open to the outdoors. Cons: The schools themselves are larger and the classrooms aren't as nice. The teachers here seem to lack good communication skills (though perhaps that's because we came midway through the year). The school year is a week and a half longer and, lastly, the schools here seem to be much more rough (language, behavior) but it's more of a urban environment. Overall I think the schools here are just fine but I would advise that the new high school in Windermere is due to open in next year or the following year (not sure) so if you don't want your 9th grader to change schools again once they adjust to their new school here consider living in a neighborhood that feeds to West Orange High School. Consider my neighborhood---Hickory Hammock. Another family across the street from me is also from KC.

I am also a former KC resident. I've lived in Windermere (very close to Winter Garden) thirteen years and have no regrets at all. My daughter was sixteen when we moved here, so I don't have direct experience with the elementary and middle schools in the area, but I've never heard anything really bad about them.

I'm not sure that you really meant it this way but moving to Fla will not make you happy everyday if you are not happy everyday now. There is a lot to not like about living in the Orlando area, trust me. Much of Central Fla is very very poor. The traffic is very bad with all the construction going on. And so many apt/condo complexes are going up it's shocking, and those usually don't turn out for the good.

Where on earth have you heard this???? Every city in America has rich people and poor people. I would hardly say that "much of Central Florida is very very poor" though. We have many areas where housing is actually quite pricey-Windermere, Winter Park, Heathrow, Winter Garden, Lake Nona, and in most of these cities you are looking at north 0f $500K for a decent home with a pool.
Traffic is a nightmare-IN SOME AREAS. Usually I 4 is bumper to bumper -but the Florida Turnpike moves along pretty well. As for the apartments, there are some pretty nice apts that have gone up all up and down Winter Garden-Vineland Rd (CR535) with rents starting at $1500 or higher. Must be a need for them as they fill up just as soon as they come available, with the parking lots filled with Audis, BMWs, and the like.
Not trying to pick a fight, I just wanted to clarify a few facts.

Where on earth have you heard this???? Every city in America has rich people and poor people. I would hardly say that "much of Central Florida is very very poor" though. We have many areas where housing is actually quite pricey-Windermere, Winter Park, Heathrow, Winter Garden, Lake Nona, and in most of these cities you are looking at north 0f $500K for a decent home with a pool.
Traffic is a nightmare-IN SOME AREAS. Usually I 4 is bumper to bumper -but the Florida Turnpike moves along pretty well. As for the apartments, there are some pretty nice apts that have gone up all up and down Winter Garden-Vineland Rd (CR535) with rents starting at $1500 or higher. Must be a need for them as they fill up just as soon as they come available, with the parking lots filled with Audis, BMWs, and the like.
Not trying to pick a fight, I just wanted to clarify a few facts.

Agreed. I'm currently on an apartment hunt and most of the new 3-bedrooms in the nice parts of SW Orlando are starting at $1700.. all the way to over $2100. It's a bit ridiculous, but I can't imagine them being seedy at those prices.

I am so glad I searched for this thread and found it. Thank you, Ethan, for giving us updates every year! My DH and I are making the move to the Orlando area in 2020- as soon as DD15 graduates high school and leaves for college. We were focused on the Winter Garden area, but are open to other towns like Winter Park, Windermere and Davenport. It's 3 years away, but we are so super excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter