Westjet and Magical Express

Best_Vacation_EVER!

DIS Veteran
So I am heading to WDW for a solo trip in Dec using Westjet and I've never used Magical Express (we've been going as a family every year since 1998 but have always rented a car.) I'll have cleared customs in Ottawa so won't need to go through customs anywhere else.

Just wanting to figure out if I should claim my luggage at baggage check at Terminal A and bring them to the bus at the ME area (which is in Terminal B) or if they will collect my bags regardless of which terminal my airline uses.

Your airline doesn't matter and neither does the terminal. The luggage is handled separately from the bus transportation and delivered on a separate truck. They pick up the luggage in both terminals and all airlines. Just put the DME luggage tags on the bags and they will be picked up for you and delivered to your resort approximately 3 hrs after you checkin. You have to do nothing else.

Good for you for doing a solo trip! How fun as an adult. I hope to do the same next year.

I'm looking forward to it... My DS 10 decided WDW wasn't his thing anymore and my DH wants to do some golf trips so I figured that I could still get my annual Disney trip in and still get to see the holiday stuff. Once my DS is old enough my DH will start joining me again (as he still loves Disney.)

Definitely do a solo trip! They are tons of fun!

My DS 18 still loves Disney. Can't get rid of him yet for a solo trip!

We are meeting there in December... He'll be flying in from school. So sort of solo at least for the flight!

Did you choose your seat in advance? Just wondering if West Jet over sells or are we guaranteed seats?

For my December trip I did seat select (as I bought a plus seat) but from what I understand WestJet does not oversell. If you have a ticket you will get on the plane. If you do your free seat selection 24 hours before you should have a pretty good seat selection.

My DS 18 still loves Disney. Can't get rid of him yet for a solo trip!

We are meeting there in December... He'll be flying in from school. So sort of solo at least for the flight!

That's awesome! You'll have a great time.

I hope my DS decides to like Disney again since both DH and I really enjoy it and have gone almost every year since 1998. I think DS is sort of at the stage where he doesn't want to be away from school and friends for any period which is fine --- we'll do summer stuff that doesn't impact that.

So I am heading to WDW for a solo trip in Dec using Westjet and I've never used Magical Express (we've been going as a family every year since 1998 but have always rented a car.) I'll have cleared customs in Ottawa so won't need to go through customs anywhere else.

Just wanting to figure out if I should claim my luggage at baggage check at Terminal A and bring them to the bus at the ME area (which is in Terminal B) or if they will collect my bags regardless of which terminal my airline uses.

If your flight will arrive before 10:00 PM then just attach the ME tags to your bag before you check them at your home airport. The bags will show up at your resort about 3 hours after you check in at the resort ( not 3 hours after you arrive in Orlando). If your flight will arrive after 10:00,vthey won't collect your bags for you, so leave the tags off, collect them yourself, and bring them with you to the ME bus.

When returning home, ME will pick you up 4 hours before your departure time. You'll have to bring your bags with you ( international airlines can't use the RAC check in)

Did you choose your seat in advance? Just wondering if West Jet over sells or are we guaranteed seats?

Unlike some other airlines, WestJet does not intentionally oversell it seats: http://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/flight-info/flight-interruptions/service-plan "Handling oversold flight situations Unlike most airlines, our flights are not intentionally oversold."

It can happen due to unforseen circumstances like a smaller aircraft havign to be used due to a mechanical problem.

OP: We fly WestJet, transferring via Pearson on the way down to MCO. Our preference is to pick up our bags at baggage claim and haul them to Magical Express ourselves, though many people do not like doing that. I prefer knowing everything has arrived and being able to address any problems before we leave the airport.

SW

No, it is pretty easy.

Basically the luggage claim is on the opposite side of the airport from ME. So, you traipse through the airport to Baggage Claim. Get your bags. Go to the elevator that is nearby (it is huge and much easier than the escalator with multiple bags). Take the elevator up to the main level. Walk your bags across the main level to the other side. Get into an elevator on the other side and down to the ME level, then walk to ME.

A word of advice: MCO has lots of CARPET. Even the best rolling suitcases don't always like carpet, and even if they are fine with it the resistance means it is hard for the human hauling the bags. BUT there is a tile perimeter of sorts.

On the baggage claim level, we get off the carpet ASAP and onto the tile (the carpet is around the baggage claim things themselves; the tile is closer to the outer wall along where the elevator is). A few more steps since we're using perpendicular lines, but the ease of the tile makes it worth it.

Once you are on the main level, instead of going straight across (lots of carpet, and people), go to the margins... basically, if you skirt around closer to the shops there is tile. You can use tile for most but not all of the way to get across. There will be a couple bands of carpet to navigate, but they are short.

As you can see in this picture, lots of carpet, but also some tile: https://www.orlandoairports.net/site/uploads/2015/07/main-terminal.jpg

MCO has good info on getting around the airport: https://www.orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/

WestJet comes in on side A. you will come in to the main terminal from the gates on level 3, follow the signs to side A baggage claim (which is on level 2, one level down). Then the up and over and down (back up to level 3, across level 3 to get to side B, then down to level 1 where ground transportation - ME - is).

SW

No, it is pretty easy.

Basically the luggage claim is on the opposite side of the airport from ME. So, you traipse through the airport to Baggage Claim. Get your bags. Go to the elevator that is nearby (it is huge and much easier than the escalator with multiple bags). Take the elevator up to the main level. Walk your bags across the main level to the other side. Get into an elevator on the other side and down to the ME level, then walk to ME.

A word of advice: MCO has lots of CARPET. Even the best rolling suitcases don't always like carpet, and even if they are fine with it the resistance means it is hard for the human hauling the bags. BUT there is a tile perimeter of sorts.

On the baggage claim level, we get off the carpet ASAP and onto the tile (the carpet is around the baggage claim things themselves; the tile is closer to the outer wall along where the elevator is). A few more steps since we're using perpendicular lines, but the ease of the tile makes it worth it.

Once you are on the main level, instead of going straight across (lots of carpet, and people), go to the margins... basically, if you skirt around closer to the shops there is tile. You can use tile for most but not all of the way to get across. There will be a couple bands of carpet to navigate, but they are short.

As you can see in this picture, lots of carpet, but also some tile: https://www.orlandoairports.net/site/uploads/2015/07/main-terminal.jpg

MCO has good info on getting around the airport: https://www.orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/

WestJet comes in on side A. you will come in to the main terminal from the gates on level 3, follow the signs to side A baggage claim (which is on level 2, one level down). Then the up and over and down (back up to level 3, across level 3 to get to side B, then down to level 1 where ground transportation - ME - is).

SW

Thanks for the great info! I sort of like the idea of having the luggage arrive at the resort with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter