Westgate vs a Marriott villa?

Ed J

Removing my ears
We're looking to next year and trying to decide what we;re going to do.

We travel in a heard (12 +) on most trips want everyone to stay at the same place, makes everything easier. We looked at the II book and we can trade to Westgate and so can some others in our mob.

I'm reading mixed reviews, and a would like some opinions from the folks here.

I know I like what the Marriott properties have to offer, are the villas at Westgate comparable? It looks like there are a bunch of places in Westgate, what should I look for, or avoid? Should I even keep Westgate on my list?

Have you stayed at both? or at Westgate?

Tell me what yah know please :goodvibes.

If Marriott is available, go with them. If they are not available, Westgate may be a acceptable alternative, depending on which one you mean. There are several of them.

II has many other nice resorts in the area. The trick is going to be finding two or more units at the same resort at the same time. The biggest resorts will probably be the most likely, such as Sheraton Vistana.

Just because you see a resort listed in the II book, that in no way implies it will be available exactly when you want it. Start searching early.

Sheila

Ed,
Marriott should be your 1st option if you can get villas for everybody in your party. Marriott's are generally very nice resorts with great service. Enjoy your vacation. :cool1::banana:

did NOT stay at Westgate.

NEVER buy westgate.

they treat their members awful - and still one until the charity that I gave it to gets rid of it.

anyway - Marriott are all pretty nice

Imperial Palms, Grande Vista - both have 3 bedrooms

Sheraton Vistana Resort
Cypress Pointe - there rooms are smaller - so their 3 bedroom do not sleep 12

there are several others if you need more options.

My in-laws are Westgate owners and I've yet to take them up on their offer to use there timeshare. I just haven't read good things about the Orlando resort. They bought into the Westgate timeshare VERY impulsively and got just about the worst deal possible for the most money. Can you tell I'm still disgusted with their purchase? Anyway...

We prefer to stay onsite whether we are doing Disney or Universal but one year we decided to do Sea World and Discovery Cove. We could have stayed at the Westgate resort for "free" using my in laws "week" or buy a "getaway" through their timeshare program at one of the Marriott properites. We chose the Marriott Harbour Lake. Our kids were younger and we knew they would enjoy the Pirate themed ship (which they did). We had a 1 bedroom with a kitchen. Plenty of room for the 4 of us. The resort had a little grill by the pool that offered several food options (we never did eat there) and bar offerings, too.

The Marriott resort was very nice. No complaints. The furnishings (couches, beds, sheets, etc.) were very comfortable. Kitchen was a good size- oh, and washer and dryer, too! I just didn't like the so-so and also negative things I read about Westgate. Just didn't want to take the chance for a vacation. And that was with my in-laws glowing opinion of Westgate, as well. Our opinions and expectation are not the same.

Another vote for Marriott. I've never stayed at their timeshare resorts but never had a Marriott property let me down. I constantly hear negative stories about Westgate and those listed in RCI are not only NOT Gold Crown, but not even Silver Crown. They have no recognition award at all. I try to avoid those.

Westgate is all about sales and nothing else. The units tend to be so so at best - even the newest - and the never ending pressure to meet with sales (no matter what they call it) can ruin any visit. If at all possible avoid Westgate. If its the ONLY one available get it as a trade or rental and remember you DO NOT have to attend any meetings or sales presentations. None. Unplug the phones and enjoy your trip by avoiding any contact with Westgate except to check in (where they will try to get you to take a ride to your unit & sign you up for a meeting - go ahead and sign up to shut them up but DO NOT actually attend) and to check out. Any other contact will be a frustrating and time wasting experience to be avoided.

Far better to get a Marriott, Cypress Pointe, Vistana, whatever other unit if possible and simply avoid dealing with anything Westgate. They are the worst organization in all of timeshare (and that isn't easy to do in an already negatively viewed industry).

I stay at the Marriott Grande Vista every year, my friend is an owner there. It is beautiful, the beds are so comfortable, the kitchen has everything you need, the staff is great, etc. It is very clean and if you have any problems with anything they are there to help right away. There are some nice pictures of it online and you can see the diagrams of the different units they offer. There is a studio, a one, two or three bedroom. Even the studio is well equipped.
There are two main pool areas that are just beautiful and a few other smaller pools on the property. It is about a 15 minute drive to disney or to universal, and there is a publix very close also.
Any questions about the Grande Vista just ask.

I'll repost my review here for you. We were a party of 10 with 4 children and traded with RCI for 2 units at Westgate Villas. Here my review:

We just got back from Disney on Saturday. We stayed at the Westgate Villas. I was a little concerned after reading some of the comments here.

We had 2 two bedroom units. We arrived at 2:45 and the rooms weren't ready so we went out to eat and came back around 4:00 and our rooms were ready. I asked if we were in a refurbished unit and she told us all the units on our side were refurbished. Both units were very nice and clean. The master bedroom had a king size bed with a jacuzzi tub and shower. The second bedroom had 2full size beds and a sleep sofa in the living room. Each unit had a washer and dryer.

We were invited to attend a "breakfast meeting". I told them we weren't interested and she said ok and we never heard from them about it again. We left about 8:30 every morning and returned after 7:00 each night and there was only 1 message about the daily activities.

If any of you are going in the near future I wouldn't worry at all. Have a wonderful time. We did.

I've stayed at both in Orlando (Westgate Town Center and Marriott Grand Vista).
I'd take Marriot in a heartbeat. Room layout (classier, more comfy, awesome beds) & Resort Layout (easier to get around, better chance to get closer to pools, better pools) are reason enough.

The ultimate reason would be customer service. At Westgate, we had a ridiculously long wait at check in and then were hearded around like cattle. The worst was that I was forced to sit through the breakfast meeting where I needed to fill out a "maintence check" (I think that's what they called it). I knew what they were trying to do, and I said I was not interested in a sales pitch. They would not let me out of it. I was even told I would be charged extra if I did not attend. When I was the only one that showed (told my DW to go hang at the pool), I was more or less reprimanded for not going by the rules. I told salesperson I could answer the questions easily enough. I lost 2 hours that day sitting in a room where I said no 50+ times (no exaggeration).

Our Marriott experience... friendly and quick service at Check In. The guy at the check in desk looked at the room we'd been assigned (it was a guest stay through interval) and he said he wanted to see if he could get us closer to the pool. On two occasions while taking trash out, a housekeeping lady offered to take the trash for me. We were constantly greeted by Guest Services, Housekeeping, Maintenence, etc. We received one message inviting us to a sales presentation, but with no obligation, and I'm pretty sure it was sent directly as a voicemail verses missing a call.

So, again. Marriott every day and twice on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it making our choice way easier.

We stayed at Mariott Harbour Lake in October (also an II trade) and it was FANTASTIC! We're already planning on going back in 2012 for 2 weeks.

We have traded through II for the past 2 years and stayed at WestGate Villas with no problems other than internet access is limited. Was wondering how travel times from Marriott to parks were. WGvillas is pretty close. And does Marriott have ground floor villa type rooms. Thanks in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter