• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Western Way - New Entrance to WDW?

mdevries

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any information on the Western Way - the new entrance to WDW from the Western Beltway Expressway - driving in from I-75? All my map searches don't have this new road.

I'm bumping this thread cause I was looking for info today on this. We usually travel -

I-75
Florida Turnpike @ exit 328
US-27 @ exit 289
US-192

I thought all the road construction was done by now, but yet I can't find any info on this either! I believe it is in two parts - Western Beltway and Western Way. Would this new route be a better option for us than the way we typically go?

Does anyone know???

The new Western Way is open :banana: . I can't tell you the exact exit number but it is clearly marked off the TNPK the road is FL 429 and it takes you right onto Disney property, no messing with 192 or US27

Take the Turnpike to FL429... 429 aka the Western Beltway takes you right to WDW, right next to Coronado Springs.

I did some research on this earlier in the week. Unfortunately, the website www.floridasturnpike.com is not working. Perhaps you can keep trying this site because I was able to see the color maps of the SR 429 and where the toll booths were located. The site also tells you about the tolls. I found this information on the web today:

State Road 429 (SR 429), also known as the Daniel Webster Western Beltway or Western Expressway, is a limited-access toll road built and maintained by the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority (OOCEA) and Florida's Turnpike Enterprise. It currently extends 25 miles (40 km) from U.S. Highway 192 (State Road 530) near Walt Disney World north to U.S. Highway 441 (State Road 500/Orange Blossom Trail) in Apopka. Control cities are Apopka and Tampa.

SR 429 was originally planned as a western half of State Road 417.

Section A is the original 10.6-mile section from Florida's Turnpike in Ocoee, to US 441 in Apopka. It has a $1.00 toll plaza in the middle, the first toll-plaza with full-speed express lanes for users of the E-Pass electronic toll collection system. The road itself was finished in July 2000, temporarily ending at SR 50, and the interchange with Florida's Turnpike, featuring the highest ramp in the Orlando area, was completed in February 2001.

SR 429 was originally planned to continue north, but because the land needed for the SR 429 right of way was not secured ahead of time, new housing was developed north of the current SR 429/U.S. 441 intersection. This has forced a change in plans for the extension of SR 429.

When the Apopka Bypass is built, SR 429 will be rerouted onto the west part of the bypass, and current SR 429 north of the bypass will be SR 451 (originally planned as SR 429A). This is because Section B will connect to the west end of the Apopka Bypass rather than the current end of SR 429. SR 451 will basically become a large entrance/exit ramp for SR 429.

Section C
Section C, a joint project of the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority and Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, is the 22-mile section from Florida's Turnpike to I-4 (SR 400) south of Walt Disney World. The four-mile section from Florida's Turnpike to County Road 535 was completed in December 2002. The section from CR 535 south to New Independence Parkway opened December 16, 2005, with the extension to US 192 opening December 23. A full, non-tolled interchange is open at Western Way, serving Animal Kingdom and the Disney resort area. A partial interchange, featuring to-and-from-the south ramps is open at Seidel Road. The remaining 5.5 miles of roadway between US 192 and Interstate 4 are scheduled to open December 7, 2006. Once the Turnpike-owned section is complete, through traffic who use SunPass will pass under gantrys at highway speeds.​

Hope this helps! :sunny:

Thanks everyone. So basically all I gotta worry about is turning onto SR 429 from the Turnpike and after that it is all pretty clearly marked how to get to WDW from there? Is there any turns or anything we'd have to make or is it a straight shot?

Does everyone think this is quicker than the way we normally go?

Thanks!

For our trip home at Easter, we took Western Way. It was great! No traffic/very few cars were on it. I think it saved us a lot of time!

We are driving up from Tampa/St. Pete to WDW. Should we use this route and Western Way or stick with the normal route of I-4 from I-275.

FYI--we are not Tampa residents. We are driving to St. Pete for a Devil Ray game from Alabama then on the Disney. We are not familiar with these roads at all!

Thanks!

bamabelle said:
We are driving up from Tampa/St. Pete to WDW. Should we use this route and Western Way or stick with the normal route of I-4 from I-275.

FYI--we are not Tampa residents. We are driving to St. Pete for a Devil Ray game from Alabama then on the Disney. We are not familiar with these roads at all!

Thanks!
It will be out of your way to use this route as 429 has not opened all the way to I-4. You'll want to take 275 to I-4 to Route 27 to Route 192.

Anne

What about coming from Jacksonville? I am geographically challenged, so beyond going south on 95 I am lost.

kathi29 said:
What about coming from Jacksonville? I am geographically challenged, so beyond going south on 95 I am lost.

Nope. This will ONLY help people coming from the Northwest I-75 to the turnpike.

From J'veill you'll take I-95 to I-4 to WDW.

Anne

We're driving from Summerfield (near Ocala) on the Florida Turnpike to Disney. We usually just look for the road signs to Magic Kingdom (staying at the Polynesian). Is there a better route now and do you know the exit number? Thanks in advance! I have so many AAA triptiks from prior trips that I didn't get one for this trip.
Cindy

alien said:
We're driving from Summerfield (near Ocala) on the Florida Turnpike to Disney. We usually just look for the road signs to Magic Kingdom (staying at the Polynesian). Is there a better route now and do you know the exit number? Thanks in advance! I have so many AAA triptiks from prior trips that I didn't get one for this trip.
Cindy

Yes, do a search for Western Way and follow the directions I've given several times.

Anne

ducklite said:
It will be out of your way to use this route as 429 has not opened all the way to I-4. You'll want to take 275 to I-4 to Route 27 to Route 192.

Anne
Thank you! I noticed some dotted lines on the map on the Florida Turnpike website. It really didn't look that much closer--just probably less congested. Thanks again and we are off in 4 days! :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter