Western Excursions

Mommy Poppins

DIS Veteran
What great excursions have you done on the Western Cruise? We're not going until next May, so I've got a lot of time to think about it, but I wanted to get some ideas and check around on some pricing. The only thing that is an absolute must is swimming with the dolphins. Where is the best place for that -- Grand Cayman or Cozumel? Other than that, what else should we do? It will be me, DH, DD-10, DS-7 and DS-4. DH will have just returned from a year and a half overseas so family activities are going to be very important to him as he gets to know the kids again.

Mommy Poppins said:
What great excursions have you done on the Western Cruise? We're not going until next May, so I've got a lot of time to think about it, but I wanted to get some ideas and check around on some pricing. The only thing that is an absolute must is swimming with the dolphins. Where is the best place for that -- Grand Cayman or Cozumel? Other than that, what else should we do? It will be me, DH, DD-10, DS-7 and DS-4. DH will have just returned from a year and a half overseas so family activities are going to be very important to him as he gets to know the kids again.

We did the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel at Chanakab Park. We absolutely loved it. My dd's were 9 at the time (you can read more about our experience in my trip report.

We booked the excursion through Disney. I was a little bit hesitant about the price, but I think it was well worth it.

One thing to note -- this is not a dolphin "swim." Yes, you are in the water with a dolphin and interacting with it. You are standing on a platform and you get to touch, kiss and "dance" with the dolphin while they take your picture.

You can not book a "swim" through Disney. You can book the swim on your own -- it is actually swimming in deep water (with a life jacket), not standing on a platform like we were. I would think the encounter would be a better option for your younger kids.

I highly recommend this excursion -- book early to get a good time slot!

Stingray City is a MUST in the Caymans. It was the best thing we did on our cruise. We did the dolphin swim (on our own) and it was good too but for some reason, we really LOVED Stingray City.

Mommy Poppins said:

Hi Mommy Poppins,
My family will also be on the 5/6/06 Western, and so far, I'm leaning towards the Dolphin Discovery in Coz and Stingray City in GC. I was planning on booking the Stingray City through Captain Marvin's, though, since I have heard nothing but good reviews on them. I will also have a 7 year old DS, and my DD will be 12. Maybe we'll be on the same excursions! :wave:

Hi Mommy Poppins.

We are on the same cruise as well and I'm so glad you asked the question! I think the kiddos would love the Dolphin encounter but it is pretty spendy through DCL so I'd like to hear other options. I would love to do the stingray city but I'm afraid my DS twins who will be 5 1/2 at the time might get freaked out. Can someone give me feedback on younger kids who have done this and loved it without freaking out? I hate to pay the money only to have screaming kids who are too scared of the stingrays.

Heather
:earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: pirate: pirate:

jillane88 said:
Hi Mommy Poppins.

We are on the same cruise as well and I'm so glad you asked the question! I think the kiddos would love the Dolphin encounter but it is pretty spendy through DCL so I'd like to hear other options. I would love to do the stingray city but I'm afraid my DS twins who will be 5 1/2 at the time might get freaked out. Can someone give me feedback on younger kids who have done this and loved it without freaking out? I hate to pay the money only to have screaming kids who are too scared of the stingrays.

Heather
:earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: pirate: pirate:

I think it depends on the child, and I don't think there's anyway to know in advance how they will react. I have twins also (mine were 9 at the time) and one was a little bit freaked out by the sting rays. I was surprised -- as she loves animals, and loves the water and is usually quite fearless.

But, if they're scared, it's okay. You can stay on the boat. You can still see stingrays from the boat (although it's way cooler to be in the water with them and actually get to touch one!). The experience itself is worthwhile -- even if they don't get into the water -- that if you go into it with low expectations, you just might be surprised.

That being said, 5 1/2 is kind of young. I don't think they'd be able to stand up and touch the bottom. It depends on the tide and where the boat pulls in, I suppose, but on our excursion, the water was probably about 3 feet deep, with occasional swells pushing it up a foot or so.

Hope that helps! Maybe the glass bottom boat or submarine would be something to consider for kids that age?

PPFQP said:
That being said, 5 1/2 is kind of young. I don't think they'd be able to stand up and touch the bottom. It depends on the tide and where the boat pulls in, I suppose, but on our excursion, the water was probably about 3 feet deep, with occasional swells pushing it up a foot or so.

Good to know. I think my DD will like it, she will be 8 1/2, so maybe I'll just take her and have DH hang out with the boys and do a different thing. Thanks for the heads up.
Heather :earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: pirate: pirate:

We head out in eleven days on our western cruise. :banana: Our crew is going to do the Natulis undersea & snorkel in the Grand Caymen we booked through DU. In Coz we are doing a jungle jeep and snorkel excursion that we booked on our own after reading some positive reviews from the boards.

We had wanted the undersea sub excursion but at last check it is not being offered right now. Oh well, don't think I want to voyage on a sub thats not working :sad2:

I'll definitely post a trip report when we get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter