Western Caribbean Cruise=Can't donate blood

Depends on when you were there. You may be dating yourself, alas.:sad:

If you spent six months in Germany on a military base from 1980-1990, or more than five years there from 1980 to present, as of this writing you are on the permaban list for blood donation.

This is because of a theoretical concern about transmission of new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (the human condition linked to "mad cow disease").

Got it.

Yes, I'm old. :rotfl:

:cutie:

As someone who has relied on generous donors for blood transfusions in the past and will probably need it in the future.....THANK YOU to all of you that do donate. I wish more people would see just how important this is to someone in need.

It's the same for UK travellers also, I wasn't able to give blood after visiting Cozumel on the western itinerary.

My husband and older twins are from the UK and have lifetime bans because they were there during certain years.

I also have a lifetime ban because I spent three vacations in England in the 1980's.

I still don't understand it because before my trips, I gave blood very often.

Because while you were in the UK, you likely ate beef, it's the same for folks that visited/lived in other banned European countries who often got beef from England. If the particular cow you ate a donation from had MCD or was a carrier, you could now be a carrier. Not everyone exposed becomes symptomatic. As a carrier, it could be transmitted through the blood you donate. There is currently no way to screen for it, so they must err on the side of caution. Least that's the explanation I have gotten.

Another one who lived in the UK in the eighties. A great believer in donating blood, I was dismayed to be told the rules had changed and I was being deferred indefinitely. Every now and then I check to see if Canadian Blood Services has lifted the ban, but I think it's a false hope. I understand CBS just can't take the chance but I wish they could invent a way to screen us so we can donate again.

Funny I saw this post this week. I gave blood Monday for the first time in 20 years after a bad past experience with passing out cold and proceeding to lose my lunch...at work blood drive....not fun

After giving Monday and getting light headed, but no fainting this time, the supervisor comes by to check on me after my drama and looks at my paperwork. She notices Costa Maya and says that the checkin tech failed to check the map and my donation would likely be thrown away. After all that....

We weren't off the ship more than 2 hours and were only in the shopping area. Oh well, wish I could have helped someone.

y2khardtop said:
I've been a regular blood donor for 25 years, and just found out that I can't give blood for a YEAR because I cruised to Mexico. Both Costa Maya and Cozumel have Malaria risks, and neither Red Cross or Community Blood Center (local) will take blood from those regions

I wouldn't expect anyone to skip a cruise because of this, but just wanted to share the info.

If you visit these regions, you can't give blood for 1 YEAR

Here's the deferral listings for the Caribbean and Mexico used by the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center (where I donate north of Houston.)-

Caribbean
Bahamas - No deferral, except for travel to Great Exuma Island which would make donor ineligible to donate for one year after return.
Dominican Republic - Entire country at risk for malaria except for the cities of Santo Domingo and Santiago.
Grand Cayman - No deferral.
Haiti - Not eligible for one year after return.
Jamaica - No deferral.
Roatan, Honduras - Not eligible for 12 months after return.
Puerto Rico - No deferral.

Mexico
Acapulco - No deferral.
Cabo San Lucas - No deferral.
Calica - No deferral if you did not travel outside of the heavily traveled tourist areas or into the jungle/rural areas.
Cancun - No deferral if you did not travel outside of heavily traveled tourist area or into rural/jungle areas.
Cozumel - No deferral.
Isla Mujeres - No deferral.
Oaxaca - No deferral is stayed in city, travel to rural areas one year from date of return.
Playa del Carmen - No deferral if you did not travel outside of the heavily traveled tourist areas or into the jungle/rural areas.
Progresso - No deferral.
Puerto Vallarta - No deferral.

Basically I'm fine to donate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter