Western Caribbean 1/28/2006 - Comments?

I have had the great pleasure to sit in the back of Shirley's shop on many occasions. I know first hand how hard Shirley works to make her baskets perfect. I've even seen Shirley take baskets apart that her employees have put together and do it over herself because it just didn't look perfect to Shirley. I know Shirley as an upstanding business woman and I know she takes pride in her work, and in her shop. Disneylady, I do encourage you to give Shirley a call so she can find out what happened with your baskets.

First off, let me say that I was not disappointed in my cruise at all. It was everything that I expected. There were a few negatives, but nothing so huge that I wouldn't cruise again. OUr dining staff, Deneval and Sumi, were awesome, as was our stateroom hostess, Donovan. These guys were phenomenal. A number of the entertainment staff went out of their way all week to take a few moments with my kids. Travis was my daughter's favorite and he posed for pictures with her every day.

We had major problems with flights and luggage, but again, not Disney's fault. Our last suitcase arrived last night. YEAH!

In the defense of Shirley's baskets, I didn't speak w/Shirley last week. Another young lady handled my order. Perhaps, that is where the problem is.

In summary, I would like to end with this. The purpose of this board is to inform others of the opportunities out there and to answer questions. Honesty is key. I, personally, learned an amazing amount of helpful tips by reading this board. It became addictive. I would stay up until the early hours reading the lastest posts so that I would be prepared for everything. Because of this board, I knew alot of cruise "secrets" that very few others traveling with us knew. Thank you, DIS.

At the same time, there were some negatives to our trip. As a DIS member, I felt obligated to share with other readers what those negatives were. I want to read posts that are honest and realistic. I'm sure each of you want the same. So, when someone posts a "negative" experience, I think it's not only inmature, but also unprofessional, to "pounce" on them with your replies. For example, there was a guy last week that couldn't get a cabin because he had an infant traveling w/him. Yes, his response on Disney was a little harsh, but many of you put that guy through the ringer. In my opinion, that was uncalled for.

If you cannot handle reading the "magical", as well as the "not so magical" experiences, then perhaps you need to reconsider whether or not this is the right chat board for you. This is a "discussion" board, not a "dart" board.

Disneylady....

I believe you were the one who started throwing the "darts"

Phyllis :crazy:

Well I'll probably be flamed for this but I agree with you disneylady. Not every experience is MAGICAL!! I am new to the boards also and I can not believe all the helpful info. I have learned! And how nice "most" everyone is!!And I have already made alot of new friends! But if you say the wrong thing or tend not to agree with certain people...they tend to jump down your throat!! :scared: One of my first posts was about Palo and I "accidently" said PALOS. Boy they do not like it when you put that 's on there!! I was flamed so bad I didnt know if I wanted to post anymore! I do not think you were throwing darts!! I think you were just telling your expeience about what happened with Shirley. I do agree that maybe you should have spoken with her first though! I am glad that you had a good trip!

I thought this thread was asking for comments - I just read it through and I didn't think anyone was being nasty or contradictory to anyone. Relax, I thought your points were very, very valid - take it up with Shirley as she has requested. The others who have posted were simply pointing out that she has a good reputation and their experience with her and others were pointing out their experience on the cruise with the characters. No big deal.

I think this thread is helpful because of the differing viewpoints in it. Just relax, it IS a discussion board - many different personalities. Just let everything slide off your back and you will have fun once again.

(by the way, the Palo/s thread was rude and I am sorry you were put through that hjensen)

By the way, the basket thing, nor the airline delay, nor the baggage loss, ruined our trip. I bought my first 300 points while on board. Wahooooo!!! Now, would I have spent $20,000+ if I was upset? No way! :banana:

YOU ARE THE ONE NOT GETTING THE POINT.....

As I said, you are the one who started throwing the
"darts"....not anyone of us.

Instead of spreading your viciousness about the baskets all over the boards, why didn't you call Shirley first, work something out with her, then tell about your experiences, both negative and positive.

I'm sure Shirley will not miss you as a customer...she has plenty of others to take your place.

Anything else you want to say to me...go ahead.

Why do I feel like I'm working in an office of catty women? :grouphug:

I'd like to ask that the moderators lock this post.

Thank you.

We had a magical time. The weather was beautiful, the CMs are fabulous! I think Disney does a great job training their crew. Everyone that we encountered was friendly and seemed to go out of there way to see to it that we enjoyed our trip.

Some of our favorite things were the Sail away deck party, the Pirate night deck party, Palo (Zita was our server and was fantastic :thumbsup2 !!!), the ventriloquist, Atlantis on Nassau, and Castaway Cay (DH and I had the opportunity to spend a couple hours at Serenity Bay for the 1st time). Our dining room service was wonderful too. We had Girish and Viviane. They did a great job!!

A couple of things that we didn't like... 5:30 dinner time (there was 5:30, 5:45, and 6:00). It was just a little too early and believe it or not, I think the 1/2 hour until 6:00 makes a big difference. This was especially true since there were activities on various days that started at 5:15 for the early dining time. So if you had the 5:30, you really only had 15 minutes (like the Captain's Cocktail reception, the Castaway Club party, character photo ops etc.). Yet you had 45 minutes until dinner time for 6:00 pm. And I didn't feel like it alleviated congestion.

The good news is that I give Disney and DCL credit for trying new things and trying to make improvements based on guest comments and feedback. I think the dining times still needs some work.

The other thing that we weren't happy about (and this is somewhat of an isolated event since it doesn't happen every cruise) is that even though our sea days were Monday and Wednesday (usually the second one is Thursday, but we went to Nassau that day which was previously scheduled to replace Cozumel), our semi-formal night and the Captain's Gala dinner menu was still on Thursday. We were scheduled to be in port at Nassau until 10:00 pm. We expressed our disappointment to our head waiter and he said that they had to leave it on Thursday because the dessert buffet was that night :confused3 . That didn't make much sense to us. Well, we had already booked a room so that we could spend the day at Atlantis (which we loved!) so we didn't want to rush back for 5:30 pm dinner. We ended up eating dinner that night up at Topsiders which wasn't bad. They didn't have lobster tail up there, but they did have the chocolate lava cake. :love:
And they did the kid's farewell show on Thursday while we were at Nassau too. Oh well, I know on a cruise there is too much to do everything, but I thought having the semi-formal night on Wednesday would have been nicer since we were at sea.

I have cruised on a number of different cruise lines and I think DCL does do a great job. And dispite a few minor inconveniences, we had a great vacation!!!

I guess I should have read through all the posts before I posted. I thought this was a thread to post comments about the 1/28 cruise. I didn't realize it turned controversial. :sad2:

kmc33,

We're glad you posted. We needed a ray of sunshine to spread through the thread. :sunny:

You have some excellent comments. You read my mind exactly on the dinner times and the events while at Nassau. One thing I've learned through this board is that you REALLY can't do everything, no matter how bad we want to. I think the Cozumel thing really threw DCL for a loop. We booked this particular cruise only because is WASN't going to Nassau. It's funny how we ended up there anyway.

We had the 8:30 dinner w/3 kids. NOt fun! The kids always got their food relatively fast, but we didn't get ours to after 9:30 every night. We were always eating in a rush to get to a cool activity which always seemed to start at 9:45pm. It seems though that no matter what time your meal time was, it would have conflicted w/one event or another. I think Disney is probably doing the best they can do. I've thought about it and I cannot come up w/a clear decisive way of how to improve it so that no one misses anything. However, if it can be done, Disney will do it and with style! ;)

Thank you again for your post and feel free to stop this way again. :wave2:

You posted correctly - some of us are reading along and don't think anything about this thread should cause it to be closed.

1) it has not exhausted it's purpose
2) no one is being hostile or verbally abusive to another poster

Some of us trip report readers like the different opinions on these reports from people on the same cruise.

Please don't lock this thread as someone suggested, there's a lot of great information here and I appreciate everyone's comments to my original post.

I would also like to add we had a great time on this trip. I mentioned our slight disappointments with the characters, but that was very minor. Overall our experience was fantastic. We were disappointed with Nassau instead of Cozumel, but from what I've heard about Cozumel, Disney made the right decision not going to Cozumel. I wish we could have spent 2 days at Castaway Cay instead of Nassau. Castaway Cay was our favorite port.

I also want to mention was a superb job Disney did with luggage and transportation logistics. We visited the park for 2 days prior to the cruise. We used Disney transportation everywhere including the return trip to the airport. We flew on Continental, so on departure we checked our bags at the port. This was great! Everything went perfectly and it was well worth the slight added cost over renting a car. Arriving at and leaving Port Canaveral was a breeze!

Regarding restaurants and menu choices, I would have liked to see more Italian selections, which there was hardly any. Maybe that's because they want you to go to Palo's if you want Italian. Unfortunately we missed Palo's because we couldn't get reservations expect for during the Pirate Party, which we didn't want to miss.

I posted in the Main Forum...probably should have just posted here!

Why didn't Disney substitute Cozumel with Costa Maya?? We are scheduled for the DblDip in May..looks like that itinerary would have been better than Nassau (of course, minus Cozumel)

Can you provide updates or opinions on the new Ocean Quest program? The dining rotations? and any other new "Magic" updates? What type of activities do they have? PS2 games, computer games, art/craft?? I have a DD that will turn 14 less than a month before we cruise..she is very shy. I'm a little worried about her I have a Ds10..he will be happy WHERE EVER!

Also, the Spa Villas....worth the money? I'm trying to decide, the Villas OR CC massages and a couple other services on different days. What do you think?

yippeeDCL said:
Why didn't Disney substitute Cozumel with Costa Maya?? We are scheduled for the DblDip in May..looks like that itinerary would have been better than Nassau (of course, minus Cozumel)
There are only so many openings in each port for ships. Everyone scrambled to reschedule their itineraries. DCL booked what was available to them for that time.

Can you provide updates or opinions on the new Ocean Quest program? The dining rotations? and any other new "Magic" updates? What type of activities do they have? PS2 games, computer games, art/craft?? I have a DD that will turn 14 less than a month before we cruise..she is very shy. I'm a little worried about her I have a Ds10..he will be happy WHERE EVER!
They have all those things in the OQ area and more. Here is the complete thread about it including the schedule & pictures. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=948596&highlight=quest

HTH :)

disneylady said:
We had airline problems and a kid in our party almost died in Nassau, but overall, I have very few problems w/Disney. Also, Shirley's baskets from The Perfect Gift were a definite rip off and did not include the items that I had requested when speaking w/them over the phone. Definitely, won't recommend them.

OMG! having someone almost die! Gasp! I'm glad it is all okay now. :wizard:

I'm surprised about the comment re: Shirley, The Perfect Gift. We used her twice and were always very pleased. But the crackers and/or chips were stale. But what 4, 10 & 13 yo really notice ;)

With everything that happened, it is wonderful that you still had a great trip. :3dglasses

I would love to travel with 40 or so friends and relatives. That must have been a very fun trip for everyone.

I remember standing in line for portraits and watching families take like 20 pictures at a time. Us, then just the kids, then the kid, then the boys, then the parents.... UGH... while having lil ones waiting for portraits and waiting to go to formal dinner... I was all for the "one picture per family" idea :thumbsup2 But I like when they serve drinks while you are waiting. That will always calm momma down :woohoo:

yippeeDCL said:
I posted in the Main Forum...probably should have just posted here!

yippeeDCL, try starting a new thread with your questions and you'll get more replies. Your questions don't pertain to this thread.

I've already posted on several topics in the main forum regarding our cruise, but wanted to add my experience to this thread as well. We were a group of 16, 8 adults and 8 children. We went with my DH's parents, his 3 brothers, my SIL and all of my nieces and nephew as well as our two DDs. DH & I are the only ones who have ever done a Disney cruise before, but DFIL & DMIL are frequent cruisers.

We all flew out the night before and stayed at the Radisson, which was fantastic. The rooms are spacious if in need of some minor fixups (the shower curtain was slightly torn, the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling in one spot). I, personally couldn't have cared less about those very minor issues, but I paid special attention because others on here have complained recently. We had pizza from Kelsey's next door which was fabulous and the breakfast buffet in the Radisson for breakfast. We used the WIFI and it was a bit slow, but worked without a problem otherwise. We would definately stay here if we do just a cruise and not WDW time again.

The DCL computers were down for check-in when we first arrived at the port, but they fixed them within a short time and we were only in line for maybe half an hour to 45 minutes? Maybe it feels shorter now because it was so long ago. The buffet at Parrot Cay was great. By the time we were finished eating a very leisurely meal, it was time to just wander the ship a bit before heading to the stateroom. I had sent two boxes to myself via FedEx and both were in my room as soon as we were able to get in. It was all a very nice start to the trip.

My DMIL got ill halfway through our cruise. She had to visit the ship's doctor several times and get medication for migraines (she has several health issues including neurological problems and a crippling migraine on top of all of that can be a very difficult thing). She wasn't able to do much of anything for about 2 days, but the cabin steward (we were in the adjoining room to her and DFIL) and the dining team asked about her every day to make sure she was alright, and to send their best wishes for her to recover. (We LOVED Fernando and Lynette and will request them when we sail again if they are still onboard. They were absolutely amazing and we already miss them terribly. They felt like family by the end of the cruise.) The doctor called to check in on her a few times as well. When she was feeling better a bit for Pirate night, the servers fussed over her to make sure she was comfortable and when the noise from the festivities got to be too much, they didn't skip a beat when she had to leave. The room steward was pleasant and understanding about cleaning the room and would jump in if they walked out for 20 minutes to get some fresh air, so it would be clean on their return. (Thanks Orlando!)

Room service was fantastic. DMIL wanted outmeal in the early afternoon (easy to eat foods while ill) and none of the restaurants were serving breakfast anymore. DFIL asked someone as they were preparing for lunch in Lumiere's and they said it wouldn't be a problem, they would have it sent to their room immediately. DH & the kids and I ordered room service every night when we got back to the stateroom for bed as well as for breakfast two of the mornings. Diane, who answers the room service phone, was incredibly pleasant to deal with and was very understanding if I needed to double check the order with the family to make sure I didn't forget anything. I was a bit disappointed with the Cake of the Day selections though. 3 of the nights I called, the only option was cheesecake. While I LOVE cheesecake, I was hoping for a bit more variety.

Pirate Night was fantastic! My entire group loved it, though it was a bit too windy up on deck 10 to watch the movie afterwards. :)

DH & I had brunch at Palo and fell in love with it. Because we were travelling with extended family, we didn't try to get Palo dinner reservations because we didn't want to not have dinner with them. After having brunch (and loving our server as well), we asked to be put on the dinner waitlist. One DBIL and DSIL got Palo for the night of our brunch and greatly enjoyed it, which just fed our need to try dinner. We had little hope since the waitlist was already two pages long. Nassau afternoon we got the call. 8:30pm Kristian would see us at Palo! We got to enjoy dinner and watch us sail away from Nassau over dessert. It was absolutely fantastic! They even gave us a chocolate soufle to take back to the room since my DD8 wanted desperately to try it. It was slightly soggy by the time we got it back to the room, but she did get to try it! We are now complete Palo addicts.

The weather was great. It rained a bit in Key West as we were walking the 10 blocks or so to Fausto's (thank you Shirley) to buy Diet Pepsi, but it was a warm kind of rain and my DH and DDs and I considered it an adventure. :)

Grand Cayman was gorgeous and all of the ships in the harbor looked like something out of a movie. All ready for battle. Ok, maybe that's just my DH and my oddities there, but still.

It was a bit windy and the water was a bit choppy some nights, but overall it was fine. A Dramamine every couple of days and all was well.

Castaway Cay day was a bit windy/chilly and we were very disappointed that our Bottom Fishing Excursion that DD8 wanted so desperately got cancelled, but DD8 and DH are planning to try again NEXT cruise. We had purchased a kite in Nassau at the Pirate Museum for DD4 and we instead spent the morning getting it stuck in a palm tree where it still might be flying. We tried desperately to get it down, but ended up having to give up after about 45 minutes. If anyone saw the Jolly Roger flying over the island, that was us. It was still flying as we sailed away.

Disembarkation was insanely easy. We were absolutely amazed at how quickly it all happened. We were among the first to get into the luggage area and we grabbed a porter for my DILs and ourselves as we were the only ones who managed to be ready to leave by breakfast (of our group). The customs agent waved us past as soon as we said we were US citizens and never even looked at our birth certificates. We were outside waiting for the Radisson shuttle to take us back by ten to 8 in the morning I believe.

My only real complaint about anything is the elevators. There are rows of 4 elevators in each area (forward, aft and mid-ship), yet all 4 are linked together. It's not too much of a problem for the forward and aft elevators, but those midship elevators being linked is a real problem. At one point we stood there for 10 minutes waiting for an elevator. People would just walk up to the far side elevators and jump in when they got there, (or run when they see the doors open from halfway across the atrium) completely disregarding the people who had been standing there. Just unlink the right and left sides and it relieves some of the problem. If you push the button on the left side, only those two elevators will come to your floor. Not the far right where you'd have to run, knocking people out of your way to get to it before it's either crowded with a million people or the doors close (if you've been standing there waiting patiently)! I know it may seem minor to some people, but it's just a pet peeve that could easily be fixed instead of standing out as a problem.

Anyway, we had a fantastic trip and we are looking forward to going again. We weren't able to rebook onboard, but we are looking at going again this time next year. If things work out, we're even day-dreaming of B2B 7-nighters, with a couple of days at WDW to boot. :woohoo:

Regardless of what happened, a bad/mediocre(an extreme relative description) week at sea, is better than a great week at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter