• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Westcot?

BuckeyeGuy28

"Why So Serious"
So obviously CA was not planned from the beginning and was scaled down a lot because of Disneyland Paris' failure. I know WESTCOT was an idea to put in the park...does anybody know anything about this? It sounds interesting. That, and any other concepts that never made it for DL's second gate I'm real curious about...

It's a really interesting idea. Surely too ambitious both finacially and a little unrealistic planning wise. Surely would have cost a huge amount.

The thing I liked best was that it put a wall around the southern part of the area that was parking lot, blocking the convention area. Of course that was going to be done by several hotels that would encapsulate most of the resort. Seeing as how the GCH cost a lot of money, multipling that cost several times would of made the cost astonishing to do at once.

At least the ToT, Screemin and RSR will do some of the job blocking the ouside world from views

But with Westcot it really seemed that DLR wouldn't have a great outlook on expansion, such a dense core. There would be a lot of discontinuity to go outside of it.

Also with suddenly a huge amount of delux hotels rooms I don't think they would be able to fill rooms at rack rates.

If build it would be interesting to compare to Epcot. Epcot is great but sprawling. Would Westcot also be visually stunning crammed into a small piece of land?

Thanks for that link, Captain Hindsight. I've seen it before, but never took the time to read all of it until now. My favorite part was the quote in the last paragraph of the 2nd (last) page:

An alternate view is attributed to another Imagineering Legend. When asked his opinion of Disney’s California Adventure, John Hench, 65-year Disney veteran and the official portrait artist for Mickey Mouse, reportedly said, “I liked it better as a parking lot.”

:rotfl2:

-Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter