• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Westbound Curacao ( Hato Caves)

This is the excursion we took on the Westbound:

Hato Caves & Landhouse Bloemhof (3 - 3.5 hours)
Meeting Time: 8:45am, 12:45pm
You'll go on a 15 minute ride to the landmark Hato Caves, the former home of the Arowak Indians. This subterranean destination has chambers and pools to explore. There are stalagmites, stalactites, and the underground Curacao Falls. You may spot fruit bats as they slumber until nightfall. Following the cave tour is a visit to the Distillery of Chobolobo where the Blue Curacao Liqueur is made. This world famous liquer is still produced by hand with the recipe brought to Curacao by the Spaniards in the 15th century. Your next stop is the Landhouse Bloemhof. This historic home, filled with rare art and antique pieces, is a tribute to the island's Jewish settlers. The trip back to the ship takes approximately 25 minutes.
Prices: $47.00 (ages 10 & up), $25.00 (ages 5 - 9)

Being a "new thing" of course things did not go as planned. We got on the air conditioned bus and first went to the Landhouse Bloemhof. It was interesting, but not why I booked this excursion. Then we went to the Hato Caves. Beware: there are 49 steps you have to climb to get up to the caves. So if anyone in your party has trouble with somewhat steep steps, then this would not be for you. You would think that the caves would be nice and cool inside, but it is very hot and humid inside. They are neat and we even saw some little bats. Reading this over again, I honestly don't remember seeing any falls? We got to use the restrooms there and purchase a drink. Then our guide said it is time to go back to the ship!? Now there was no way I was missing the distillery, that was why I booked this one! After several of us argued with her, she gave in and we had a very brief time there. Hopefully they will "fix" the miscommunication that was apparently given our guide before the Eastbound trip.

I hope this helps!
Robin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter