West Nile Virus?

Harmony

DIS Veteran
Planning to take along some repellent but I really hate to use some on my youngest kiddo if I don't have to. I'm from the NE and so far this summer, we really don't have a West Nile Virus problem. *knock on wood* I'm praying it stays that way! :)

Does Florida have a major WNV issue this summer? Any cases in or around Orlando/Disney area? Where can I find that information? I looked online but couldn't find specific info.

Thanks!

There is pest control in the parks. I don't think I've ever seen a biting insect on property, even when the rest of the state is covered in them. Harmless things like love bugs are around, sure, but they spray or something for mosquitos.

If you are spending a lot of time at the campground or other wooded areas you might need the spray.

We spends a few weeks a year at the parks and the only time I've ever gotten bitten was riding the boat from POR to DTD right at dusk. A few misquito bites and DS had 1, DD and DH didn't get any. I don't think West Nile is that big of a concern in WDW. I never pack bug spray.

All the lizards & birds take care of the bugs, the snakes take care of those. ;)

We were there earlier this month. The only time we had mosquito issues was when we sat at the beach at Poly to watch Wishes. It was just my son who was bitten...dd, dh and I were not. He's usually the first one they are attracted to when we are at home too. After that night, we did put on bug spray in the evenings...it wasn't an issue during the day.

Add us to the list of folks that aren't bothered by bugs while at WDW. We've visited at all times of the year, in all kinds of weather and never had a problem with bugs. There are love bugs twice a year, but those are harmless.

As far as the clip-on insect repellant things go, don't spend your money on them. Consumer Reports says they don't work.

Having lost a family member to WNV, we never take mosquito bites lightly. We always carry the little single packet wipes with us - and yes we had one year waiting for the MNSSHP in Frontierland that we needed them. For the most part, WDW does an awesome job with insect control.
For infants we have used clothes dryer sheets tied around them for protection. You could google it for more info.

Looks like this year there have been 693 reported human cases (9 in FL) and 26 deaths so far - and WNV increases as the summer ends and moves into fall. Texas is getting hit hard this year.
Here's the CDC page for updated info: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm
Our viewpoint is Better Safe Than Sorry!!

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure that was tough.

Thanks for the link to the CDC map. Fortunately it looks like the closest case of WNV to WDW (too many initials?) is up in the Jacksonville area.

bjakmom, thanks for the link to that website. As a nurse, I found the information there very informative and interesting. I'll use that website at the clinic in the future I'm sure.

Thanks again!

The worst we've ever seen them was at the monorail station at MK one night, horrible. The wipes are a great idea. Not sure about Orlando, but I know we have had several reports here in Mobile this summer, and Dallas is on double secret probation because of it.

The only place inside MK that we've been bothered by mosquitoes is earlier this summer while waiting for the train in Fantasy Land. We've had a lot of issues while waiting for a boat from Fort Wilderness to MK, and like a pp, on the monorail from MK.

We aren't huge fans of bug spray, but we like the wipes. I have an issue with aerosol sprays, so the wipes work better for me, personally. I've seen some links on pinterest for homemade bug spray, and it's something I want to look into.

On another note, my mom brought a can of aerosol sunscreen that had bug spray in it. I wasn't paying attention when she sprayed it, and was down wind. Ended up with a full blown asthma attack in Fantasyland. Thanks mom :sick:

I am from the Uk and caught this when I was in Orlando in May so it is out there. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! :sad1:

Harmony said:
Planning to take along some repellent but I really hate to use some on my youngest kiddo if I don't have to. I'm from the NE and so far this summer, we really don't have a West Nile Virus problem. *knock on wood* I'm praying it stays that way! :)

Does Florida have a major WNV issue this summer? Any cases in or around Orlando/Disney area? Where can I find that information? I looked online but couldn't find specific info.

Thanks!

For all the years we've been to Disney, I've never encountered mosquitos.

If you are really worried, there are natural alternatives to DEET.

I have to figure they use tons of pesticides in Disney. If not chemical pesticides, whatever method they use works because I've never seen an insect in Disney except for the love bugs.

I would bring insect repellent and use it. I've had family members who have had a mild case of WNV, but here at home.

WNV can go 3 ways. The majority of people don't even know they have it..there can be no symptoms. Then, about 20% can come down with a mild form, which is fever, headache, nausea. A small group(very small) can come down with a severe form which can lead to encephalitis. Symptoms would be seizures, tremors, coma and possible death. This tends to be the elderly, those with compromised immune systems and small children. You never know how bad it will be though.

EEE is even worse. The mild winters in many places made in a booming year for Mosquitos.

One of my daughters and I are apparently super-sweet-tasting to mosquitoes. No exaggeration, I usually get 3-6 bites every evening between my car and my front door during the summer months if I'm not doused in DEET, and one of my daughters is the same way. But I assume Disney does hardcore insect control, because we've never had a single mosquito bite at Disney, and we never apply bug spray when we're there. (Sunscreen is another story. We apply liberally every day! My daughters are redheads with translucent skin!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter