Were you a fan of ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter?

DH and I both miss it and our DS always gets aggravated when we talk about it because he's mad that's it not still around for him to experience. All 3 of us think SGE is completely lame. :sad2:

I thought it was pretty cool when it was AE and pretty scary the first time but always seemed a little odd being at Disney. I know Eisner wanted them to redo it when it first opened to make it even scarier. Now that it is Stitch it's a pretty cool show too, once. Doubt that I will do it again. I'd like a return to way back when, Mission to Mars! Nowadays though that would seem so tame compared to other rides now like Mission Space.

I LOVED this attraction and I still have my Skippy doll! I took my brother to Disney for his 20th birthday back when it was still new, and we had no idea what we were getting into! He doesn't do coasters and was terrified when the harness came down! It was an experience we will never forget...We still talk about it to this day! :lmao:

(PS - although I do LOVE Stitch, I enjoyed that attraction much more when it was scarier!!!)

With the short number of responses so far. It would appear for the most part, that most of us miss this attraction, albeit good, bad or indifferent. One thing that I'm sure we all could agree on, the imagineers did an outstanding job on the "Presentation" of this attraction. Wether we enjoyed it, or had the bejesus scared out of us.

Just another attraction stored in our memory banks. Long live the memory of "AE". :wave2:

I loved the pre-show. The actual theater part was just OK.

S.I.R. was a fantastic anamatronic voiced by Tim Currey and his discussions with Skippy were hilarious while still being a bit creepy.

As much as it didn't totally fit into the Disney feel (effects-wise, it was DEFINITELY Disney), I LOVED it. The Stitch version is such a waste.

I loved it too, but I have to agree it doesn't quite fit in with the Disney theme. I remember it scaring the sense out of me, but it was so much fun!

I HATE the Stitch version...seems like they closed alien down for a day and just replaced him with stitch.

I loved AE!!! It scared me half to death, but that was what made it fun. I'm still pretty upset that it's gone, so I refuse to do SGE (we're not Stitch fans in our house). I used to scream my guts out and would leave the attraction literally shaking, but it was awesome!!! The whole breathing down your neck thing still gives me the creeps when I think about it. And, I agree with the PP that the "blood" spraying the crowd was awesome. :thumbsup2

It wasn't one of my favorite attractions but I did like it. It was better than Stitch..

I remember I rode it in 1997 when I was 15, we must have waited for about an hour in the florida sun to get in - I suppose we thought it must have been worth it!

It was one of the scariest rides I've ever been on, that feeling of the alien breathing on your neck was awful (but kinda cool!), it was very cleverly done

I'm glad to say I managed to ride it before it closed anyway, it was certainly better than SGE, although as others have said, it didn't really fit in with the whole MK feel, and should have been at DHS

We loved it and it was a must do as Alien Encounter. I still have a three pack of skippy and SIR action figures.

Stitch, we can't stand at all.

Alien Encounter was one of my favorite attractions at the Magic Kingdom and I am disappointed it was replaced with Sitch's Great Escape, because after going on that one time I thought it was horrible replacement and I will never see it again.

We LOVED it!

We didn't take our kids on (3 and 6 at the time), they hung out with my mom (who also rode and loved it). There were some very small children in the attraction that starting crying pretty badly, especially towards the end. My oldest DS is so bummed he never got to go on it.

I'm not a fan of SGE. The burp is just horrible. My middle DS is a big Stitch fan, so I'm just going to let his Dad take him on this time and sit it out. :rolleyes1

When I went on it the first time, it was brand new. New Year's 1994, I believe. Apparently Eisner went on it a few weeks later and required them to shut it down and tame it down a bit. Mom opened up our trusty Unofficial Guide and said, "Don't worry it's just a movie." I was completely freaked out. I was 13, I was a wimp, and it was somewhere around midnight on our first night at WDW. My little brother was just under 11 and he really lost it, crying and screaming.

That being said, we both became huge fans of it later on. I think Stitch is stupid. When DH and I were there this past Christmas, we went on Stitch and I kept saying how much better Alien Encounter was. Oh well. Maybe they'll redo it again soon. All I can say is that Stitch had zero wait even at Christmas week. Alien Encounter would have a huge wait back in the day.

I thought it was a great attraction. I think the argument could be made that it may have fared better in DHS,but I still loved it.

Loved it. The Stitch version I can take or leave but I loved how AE played with your head. I also have a stuffed Skippy.

Oh, yes. I loved it and miss it. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter