• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're not guilty!

Thank you for spreading awareness! THIS is a good thread, because knowledge is awesome and I had NO IDEA about such devices - I think of many hidden issues people may have, I really do - I would hope next time you will speak up and spread the word - I know you probably don't feel like it but I think it would be a great way to increase tolerance:lovestruc
And I am so sorry you experienced such rudeness:mad: I sure hope the rest of your vacation was brilliant!

That is 100 times ruder than people stopping in the middle of the row. MYOB and let the employees handle it. Just because you go to WDW often doesn't give you the right to tell others what to do.

You seriously think it's 100X ruder to politely ask someone who is not following stated rules to move than it is to not follow the rules? Yes, the getting stepped on (possibly presented with an unpleasant smell too) is not pleasant, but I try to be nice first. It's just much easier to squish past people by facing the seats in front, so I can hold on to the seat back to keep my balance.

So, I'm supposed to wait for one of the few CMs (budget cuts have made the extra CM very rare) to come through the crowd to get these bozos to move? I'm not talking about people already seated for special circumstances before the general crowd gets let in, I'm talking about the people right in front of us that go halfway down the row and sit. I can't get around them any other way than to step on them, there are people crowded behind as well, and by that time, others have sat in the seats that we've passed.

I guess I could just stand there and hold up the start of the show until a CM shows up with a crane to lift us over the roadblock? :confused3

Great post OP. I hope this really opens our eyes to these situations. It seems o ur first reaction as humans is to get mad and/or confrontational when we are obeying the rules and it APPEARS others aren't... but we have no idea why they are in that seat or coming through the line or rushed to the front of the bathroom line... I don't know

but people need to stop being so serious about everything and just enjoy the ride that is life.

It would be nice if everyone followed the rules but some people don't and that's a fact of life. but we shouldn't chastise everyone who we assume are breaking the rules. Does it really hurt you if someone sits where they shouldn't? :confused3 it's not worth getting upset over... and it's certainly not worth insulting GOOD people who ARE following the rules... they just don't fit in with your version of the rules

So I'm very glad you posted this... my hubby would be one to make a remark lol and I would bring up this little tidbit you shared with us... thanks for arming me with more info to always be right :lmao:

Are we to assume all people who plunk themselves down in the middle of a row are using some sort of device to assist them, etc? I don't think so.

:

Why not?

what good does it do to assume everyone is just being a jerk? At least assuming they all need an assiting device would have you tread more carefully. Assuming that everyone is just being a jerk would mean you might offend some good and honest people who are following the rules when they don't deserve to be treated that way.

if the CM's aren't going to deal with it then just go on with your day and come here to rant later lol I think getting snarky with people who are inconsiderate just reinforces their behaviour.

that's not to say I don't lose my cool with people... I definitely do lol. I just try not to do it on our family vacation if I can help myself lol

We are at this moment at Disney. This is our 39th year. We've lost track of the actual number of trips. The fact that we live in Canada and have always had AP's pretty well shows how much we love it here. Never had a real problem. Until now.
For the first time ever, we have had people make snarky remarks to us about not going all the way across to the far side when entering a theatre.
Folks, here's why we stop about 10 seats in from the end.
My wife is hearing impaired, and uses the reflective device Disney kindly makes available in their theatres. It provides 'closed captioning' for her, giving her much more enjoyment of the presentation. The cast members always take us into the theatre before the main doors open and sit us in from the end, directly in front of the projector that is sending out the words.
Unfortunately, this trip, a number of people saw us sitting there with empty seats between us in the end. They either did not see the reflective device or did not know what it was (it's a small piece of dark plastic on a single pole stand, which my wife then 'aims' at the projector behind her.) They made some rather nasty remarks to us, which upset our children.
This is not meant to be a rant. Just an attempt to increase the awareness of the supports Disney provides for folks with disabilities, and a request to respect the person's need to sit in a special location.

My mother has been an interpreter for the deaf for 35 years, and I grew up signing. It's sad that people don't understand that SOMETIMES there's a reason behind people's positioning....even after a tiny bit of explanation has been provided (or a visual clue, as in your case). I've traveled to WDW with groups of deaf people, before, and attended the signed/interpreted performances in the past. I've heard the same sorts of comments coming from others when we were given "preferential" admission/seating so that we could view the interpreters better.

I don't have much to offer in the way of advice....and I'm sorry your kids were put through that....

Thanks for posting this and educating all of us about this device. Sorry you had a bad experience - hope your next trip is more pleasant!

WDW should have the reflective imaging seats marked in some way, so people know what they are being used/reserved for. Otherwise, how are people going to know why someone is not following the directions given by the CMs? Are we to assume all people who plunk themselves down in the middle of a row are using some sort of device to assist them, etc? I don't think so.

The only people I confront in this scenario are the people I see walk in directly ahead of me that don't go all the way down the row. I do tell them that we are supposed to keep moving down the row, so please get up and keep moving. If they don't, I'm not too careful about stepping over them, and tend to turn sideways so they get a lovely view of my backside. Hopefully I haven't eaten any beans for lunch! :eek:

Assume? No.

But it's very easy to politely ask.

You'll either get an explanation from the person, an explanation from a hearing member of their party, or the person will sign to you and you'll quickly realize what's going on.

There is absolutely NO reason to be snarky or rude, from the outset, is there?

Ernie, I am so sorry that you experienced this. My heart hurts for your kids and your family. I really try to be sympathetic to people, especially knowing that we just don't have all of the facts about people's lives. I hope that the rest of your vacation is much more pleasant.

Little story: A few years ago, we were going into Muppet 3D and there was a family standing in line with us who's daughter had a disability. She was able to communicate through some kind of electronic mechanism. Anyhow, she was scared to death since she was unsure about the show. The little girl was very loud. People around us were getting annoyed and making faces. I started talking to her and her mom. We chatted for about 5 minutes and then they let us in.

We went in the show and wouldn't you know it - they sat right beside us. The little girl was scared. She was not crying loudly, but she was verbal. Mom reassured her several times that it was just a show and she could take off the glasses. I saw people's faces and heard the mumblings. I sat through the entire show silenty crying knowing I was I so blessed that my daughter is whole. That forever changed the way I look at what I once considered "odd behavior/activities" when I travel or am in public places.

May everybody have that same experience. :goodvibes:

To Ernie and to you Ash i am sorry to hear that has happended to you both.

Erine I never knew about how that system works and its interesting information but I'm sorry your bad experience made it possible for me to know that.:hug:

Ash I have seen many people at WDW with prosthetic limbs mainly legs and I am just amazed by them and how much effort it takes to keep going after something like that has happened. I for one am more than happy to see anyone who has the chance to get out and enjoy themselves and no one should ever be made to feel bad for living their lives. There are many people in this world who are not so lucky and its a shame that small minded people make comments etc. :hug:

OP thank you so much for this message I too was not aware of these devices. As the spouse of a man that is about to go through amputation surgery to receive a prosthetic foot/leg I am sad to hear that people are rude sometimes in these situations but the post above gives me hope that the majority of people we will meet will treat him well.

You seriously think it's 100X ruder to politely ask someone who is not following stated rules to move than it is to not follow the rules? Yes, the getting stepped on (possibly presented with an unpleasant smell too) is not pleasant, but I try to be nice first. It's just much easier to squish past people by facing the seats in front, so I can hold on to the seat back to keep my balance.

So, I'm supposed to wait for one of the few CMs (budget cuts have made the extra CM very rare) to come through the crowd to get these bozos to move? I'm not talking about people already seated for special circumstances before the general crowd gets let in, I'm talking about the people right in front of us that go halfway down the row and sit. I can't get around them any other way than to step on them, there are people crowded behind as well, and by that time, others have sat in the seats that we've passed.

I guess I could just stand there and hold up the start of the show until a CM shows up with a crane to lift us over the roadblock? :confused3
Or ... you could think to yourself, "I'm on vacation, and while this IS annoying, in the huge scheme of things it really isn't all that big of a deal". And then you smile and say, "Excuse me" and move on.

Sheesh.

:earsboy:

OP thank you so much for this message I too was not aware of these devices. As the spouse of a man that is about to go through amputation surgery to receive a prosthetic foot/leg I am sad to hear that people are rude sometimes in these situations but the post above gives me hope that the majority of people we will meet will treat him well.

Wish your DH all the best and remember that not everyone in this world are small minded. They can do amazing things with the prosthetics these days. We saw a guy in EPCOT with the most amazing prosthetic leg (one of the metal ones not sure of the technical name sorry) that was camo painted it was so cool as well a a few people in ones of other colours.
Due to some spinal surgery I have what is now classed as a partially prostheic spine and I will never be able to thank the person who came up with the idea of it. Now I am able to walk unaided but it took a long time to get me going again.

Good luck to you both at this challenging time :hug:

That is 100 times ruder than people stopping in the middle of the row. MYOB and let the employees handle it. Just because you go to WDW often doesn't give you the right to tell others what to do.

No offense intended here but rule breakers, line cutters, people who arrive last minute at parades and block others etc. count on laid back attitudes like this to enable them to do what they do. If not confronting someone allows you to better enjoy your vacation then that is great, go for it. However, I myself have absolutely no problem in calling someone out who is obviously trying to pull a fast one to facilitate themselves at my expense (and it does not affect my vacation one bit). CM's will not do anything, I know as my request to a CM to have someone stop smoking outside my room fell on deaf ears. Was my family supposed to smell their smoke our entire vacation so that we did not appear rude to them?:confused3 How anyone can consider that standing up for yourself to a rude person is you being rude I'll never understand.

Wish your DH all the best and remember that not everyone in this world are small minded. They can do amazing things with the prosthetics these days. We saw a guy in EPCOT with the most amazing prosthetic leg (one of the metal ones not sure of the technical name sorry) that was camo painted it was so cool as well a a few people in ones of other colours.
Due to some spinal surgery I have what is now classed as a partially prostheic spine and I will never be able to thank the person who came up with the idea of it. Now I am able to walk unaided but it took a long time to get me going again.

Good luck to you both at this challenging time :hug:

Thanks Starrysky...this whole thing has been an ordeal (his foot was crushed in a bobcat accident) and the prosthetic is the only guarentee we have of him being able to walk un-aided again so we are just accepting and moving on. Glad to read of anyone using a prosthetic going to Disney...it gives me hope. :)

No offense intended here but rule breakers, line cutters, people who arrive last minute at parades and block others etc. count on laid back attitudes like this to enable them to do what they do. If not confronting someone allows you to better enjoy your vacation then that is great, go for it. However, I myself have absolutely no problem in calling someone out who is obviously trying to pull a fast one to facilitate themselves at my expense (and it does not affect my vacation one bit). CM's will not do anything, I know as my request to a CM to have someone stop smoking outside my room fell on deaf ears. Was my family supposed to smell their smoke our entire vacation so that we did not appear rude to them?:confused3 How anyone can consider that standing up for yourself to a rude person is you being rude I'll never understand.

I'm never offended by others who have a different opinion than I do :) I also have no problem confronting someone when I feel they are infringing on my right to a great vacation - I just don't think this is as big a deal as some make it out to be and would never deem it my right to correct someone else for something so trivial. We are not talking about line cutters, last minute parade creepers, second hand smoke/fumes or even (gasp) chanting ;). It's a matter of stepping past someone who's already seated. We all do it hundreds of times in our lives at theaters, ball games, school plays, movies... they do their best to slide their legs to the side and you do your best not to fall into their laps. I'm sure those who feel it's their duty to tell others the rules mean well but IMO, they should keep their advice/admonishments to themselves. As the OP's post shows, you have no idea what the real reason may be that they sat down where/when they did and I don't think anyone should be required to explain themselves to a stranger in order to avoid being harassed.

Why not?

what good does it do to assume everyone is just being a jerk? At least assuming they all need an assiting device would have you tread more carefully. Assuming that everyone is just being a jerk would mean you might offend some good and honest people who are following the rules when they don't deserve to be treated that way.

if the CM's aren't going to deal with it then just go on with your day and come here to rant later lol I think getting snarky with people who are inconsiderate just reinforces their behaviour.

that's not to say I don't lose my cool with people... I definitely do lol. I just try not to do it on our family vacation if I can help myself lol

I guess no one is reading the part where I stated that I repeat what the CMs have said (I can translate it into 3 languages, including sign language) and ask for them to PLEASE keep moving down the row. When that doesn't happen, then I have to try to get over them, and their bags, and wait, that's an umbrella, and the seats are really close, and they are not moving their legs to the side so I can pass, they are just glaring at me. Oh, so let's just sit here next to them, oh wait people have already taken those seats.

That's when it gets complicated. What's that old grade school story? "Can't go over it, can't go under it, have to go through it..." Nowhere did I say that I said something derogatory, all I said was that I didn't put much effort into getting over them without bodily contact - I can't levitate, no matter how hard I concentrate!

Of course none of this applies to the OP's scenario. I fully understand the need for preseating. I have had a lot of experience in that situation myself, and have no problem with it. If there were people already seated when we enter the theatre, I know there is a reason for it, and WDW is clever enough to make most of that special seating at the top, bottom, and sides.

Or ... you could think to yourself, "I'm on vacation, and while this IS annoying, in the huge scheme of things it really isn't all that big of a deal". And then you smile and say, "Excuse me" and move on.

Sheesh.

that was the scenario - I did say 'excuse me', with 'we were told to keep moving down the row, could you please get up and keep moving?' Getting over them is the problem - it's not easy! I've been avoiding this point, but some people are very big, and it's nearly impossible to squeeze past them without some serious contact. People also have backpacks and bags and umbrellas (yes, I had to hurdle an umbrella once) with them, which also clog what tiny space there is to go past.

So, what would be the solution? We are trapped in a row - people have filled up the seats behind us, we'd have to squeeze past them too, there we are, standing in the middle of the theatre.

Sheesh.

Agreed.

Another poster made a comment about being upset that some people might be getting special treatment. Some people spend way too much time worrying about what other people are doing and why. Sometimes that "special treatment" is because of a handicap of some kind. Even if it isn't for that reason, If someone is getting "special treatment" you be a good neighbor and be happy for them.

My wife is hearing impaired, and uses the reflective device Disney kindly makes available in their theatres. It provides 'closed captioning' for her, giving her much more enjoyment of the presentation. The cast members always take us into the theatre before the main doors open and sit us in from the end, directly in front of the projector that is sending out the words.

Thank you! THANK YOU for this information. My mother lost her hearing in one ear due to a brain tumor and was so concerned about enjoying her trip with the Granddaughters because of her hearing. She has a Baja but still- it's not the same.

I appreciate this so much! I just called my mom and she said thanks too.

I've looked up at the projectors before, and saw the words, but never knew what they were for!! That's very interesting. I'm not one to stop in the middle, or to say something to someone that's stopped in the middle. I'm like a PP and not too careful about stepping over them.

Same here, I always saw them but didn't understand what they were for until now! I always thought "now what is the point of that, the script from the show is backwards and can't be read anyways!" :lmao: Thanks for the info!!

that was the scenario - I did say 'excuse me', with 'we were told to keep moving down the row, could you please get up and keep moving?' Getting over them is the problem - it's not easy! I've been avoiding this point, but some people are very big, and it's nearly impossible to squeeze past them without some serious contact. People also have backpacks and bags and umbrellas (yes, I had to hurdle an umbrella once) with them, which also clog what tiny space there is to go past.

So, what would be the solution? We are trapped in a row - people have filled up the seats behind us, we'd have to squeeze past them too, there we are, standing in the middle of the theatre.

I understand your frustration. I have dealt with that many times myself. I don't know but I think the best solution (IMHO)is to do the best you can without lowering yourself to the bitter and rude behavior I have seen many do and try not let it interfere with your enjoyment of Disney.

While some are just rude and selfish, it might be that there are circumstances that you aren't aware of and they have as much right to be at Disney as we do. If being in the center is that important to someone, put a smile on your face and magic dust in your heart. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter