We're home already?! A Flower & Garden Girls' Trip Dining Review

ChrissyLady

Vintage DCP Alumni '97
image.jpg
Hello!

I'm back and settled from a whirlwind mother/daughter trip to the 'World!

In my pre-trip report, I listed out all of our ADRs and snacks we wanted to try... But forget all that! We made lots of changes along the way and tried some great and some not so great meals & treats.

Join me for my review!

Welcome!

We arrived at Port Orleans French Quarter around 9pm on Saturday, March 7th. We had high hopes of popping over to MK and having a late dinner at Pecos Bill's, but our travel day got the best of us and we decided to stay at the resort at grab something at our food court.

image.jpg
Meatball Sub and homemade potato chips from Sassagoula Floatworks Factory. I LOVED this sub! Cheesy, saucy...I'm super picky about meatballs and these tasted homemade... and the roll was crispy on the outside and soft inside, like a perfect baguette. It was huge, and I was happy with half of this. Chips were okay, I barely touched them. Solid choice!

When we finished our meal, my mom surprised me with this back in our room:
image.jpg
A mini castle cake!!! This is one of my all time favorite Disney treats, and my mom surprises me with them every once in awhile... This was vanilla cake with vanilla icing and tasted as delicious as it looks!

After this, we enjoyed our Disney Resort TV and turned in. We had a big breakfast in the morning at Akershus!!!!

Out of curiosity....where did you order that cake!....I have a celebration when we go in April and that looks like it would fit the bill perfectly!

Joining! we are staying at POFQ next month, (havent stayed there since 2000) very excited!

Out of curiosity....where did you order that cake!....I have a celebration when we go in April and that looks like it would fit the bill perfectly!
We always order our cakes from the Boardwalk Bakery, but depending on where you are staying, lots of resorts have bakeries onsite! If you call the cake hotline at 407-827-2253, they can direct you to the right one :)

Great start, can't wait to hear more about your trip!
Thanks! It was short & sweet, but I'm excited to share!

I'm here! We checked into POFQ on the same day. :)
I was thinking of you! I was wondering if we might recognize each other!

Love the cake, simply beautiful!
They are as yummy as they are pretty, I promise :)

Joining! we are staying at POFQ next month, (havent stayed there since 2000) very excited!
We had a great time at POFQ, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. We love staying at the Epcot resorts for the ease of getting into the parks, but we really enjoyed our time here!!!

Sunday, March 8th

We woke up early and were very excited for our first breakfast at Akershus!

image.jpg
Arrival was quick and easy, and we were seated within about 5 minutes. Our reservation time was 9:40am, so it wasn't exactly early for breakfast but it certainly wasn't late, either. There was a cold buffet and we were also served a hot plate of eggs, bacon, sausage and potato casserole.

Apologies for digging in a little, but here is the hot plate:
image.jpg
It was vile, to say the least. I didn't even take a picture of the buffet, and I wish I had now... It was completely barren... Yogurt and fruit bowls were empty, there were about 5 muffin and danish floating about. It looked TERRIBLE. And this is not a cheap breakfast. Princess interaction is good, but not worth $41.99. We left hungry.

Nevermind that, we are in DISNEY!! So many snacks to be had!!

We took a little stroll through the park and hopped on the monorail!

We checked out the shopping at the resorts, and then stopped at Contempo Cafe for this beauty:
image.jpg
the Cinderella Cupcake. This was pretty good, white icing and vanilla cake.

We continued on our journey to the Magic Kingdom!!!! We shopped and walked and enjoyed being in the happiest place on earth for awhile. Then we got hungry for lunch! We debated going over to Pecos Bills, but weren't quite that hungry yet... So we went with this:
image.jpg
A delicious baked potato with butter, sour cream and cheddar cheese from Liberty Square Market! So good, hit the spot! If you are ever in doubt, or not quite hungry enough for lunch but need something to get you going, go for this!

After our savory, we needed a little sweet... So we mosied over to Adventureland for one of the most refreshing, delicious treats in the 'World...

image.jpg
the Dole Whip, of course! I take mine as pineapple vanilla swirl, but there's no wrong way to do it :)

After our time at MK, we went back to the hotel for pool time and relaxation.

Up next... Dinner at Boatwright's!!

What a shame about the princess breakfast we've never tried it! What a beautiful Cinderella cupcake it's almost too pretty to eat :)

you should of asked for those to be refilled...we went for a 9:15 ressie and they were coming in to put in more strawberries and bagels and other foods..we really loved this place..did it two years in a row for the grandkids. Cause like you said..it is not a cheap breakfast

Love, love, love your cake. What a fun surprise.

I'm right there with you at Akershus. We tried it on our last trip and I'm still having major regrets. Looks like the cupcake, dole whip, and baked potato hit the spot though

What a shame about the princess breakfast we've never tried it! What a beautiful Cinderella cupcake it's almost too pretty to eat :)
I seriously had to think about biting into it... It had quite a bit of crunchy sugar on the outside, which made it very sparkly as well. So pretty!

you should of asked for those to be refilled...we went for a 9:15 ressie and they were coming in to put in more strawberries and bagels and other foods..we really loved this place..did it two years in a row for the grandkids. Cause like you said..it is not a cheap breakfast
Yes, we certainly could have and maybe should have asked them to fill it, but at the same time, when I walk into a buffet, especially at Disney, I expect that I will be impressed. Maybe it was just an off day, I don't know... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But it was certainly disappointing.

Love, love, love your cake. What a fun surprise.

I'm right there with you at Akershus. We tried it on our last trip and I'm still having major regrets. Looks like the cupcake, dole whip, and baked potato hit the spot though
Oh did it ever! And I'm so happy to have finally tried those potatoes! Now I know where to go for a lighter lunch :)

Ahhhhhh. I am so glad I read your review on Akershus. We were really considering it for our next trip. We also have Boma and possibly Kona, so I think we'll definitely skip Akershus. I can't believe it was that bad! That really stinks.

I have always wanted to try a baked potato in Liberty Square. Yummm. And you definitely can't go wrong with a Dole Whip! ;)

Hi there! Joining in, sorry to hear about your Akershus breakfast :sad2: We've done lunch there twice and really enjoyed it both times, but the last time was in 2013. I wonder how the lunch is now??
Looking forward to hearing about your dinner at Boatwrights! We ate there in 2013 also and were surprised how much we loved it!

Awesome reviews so far and GREAT pictures!

Ashley(Vernie822)...I would stick with Boma and Kona...I don't think you could go wrong with those two.

Thanks ChrissyBeth29! I have heard great things about both Boma and Kona.. I love breakfast so I'm excited to try. :)

Can't wait! I'll be there for the very end of the festival. I've been to the Food and Wine a few times, but this is the first for the Flower and Garden. I'm a total Disney foodie - very excited to try different things.

Sunday, March 8th

We woke up early and were very excited for our first breakfast at Akershus!

View attachment 82820
Arrival was quick and easy, and we were seated within about 5 minutes. Our reservation time was 9:40am, so it wasn't exactly early for breakfast but it certainly wasn't late, either. There was a cold buffet and we were also served a hot plate of eggs, bacon, sausage and potato casserole.

Apologies for digging in a little, but here is the hot plate:
View attachment 82818
It was vile, to say the least. I didn't even take a picture of the buffet, and I wish I had now... It was completely barren... Yogurt and fruit bowls were empty, there were about 5 muffin and danish floating about. It looked TERRIBLE. And this is not a cheap breakfast. Princess interaction is good, but not worth $41.99. We left hungry.

Nevermind that, we are in DISNEY!! So many snacks to be had!!

We took a little stroll through the park and hopped on the monorail!

We checked out the shopping at the resorts, and then stopped at Contempo Cafe for this beauty:
View attachment 82821
the Cinderella Cupcake. This was pretty good, white icing and vanilla cake.

We continued on our journey to the Magic Kingdom!!!! We shopped and walked and enjoyed being in the happiest place on earth for awhile. Then we got hungry for lunch! We debated going over to Pecos Bills, but weren't quite that hungry yet... So we went with this:
View attachment 82822
A delicious baked potato with butter, sour cream and cheddar cheese from Liberty Square Market! So good, hit the spot! If you are ever in doubt, or not quite hungry enough for lunch but need something to get you going, go for this!

After our savory, we needed a little sweet... So we mosied over to Adventureland for one of the most refreshing, delicious treats in the 'World...

View attachment 82823
the Dole Whip, of course! I take mine as pineapple vanilla swirl, but there's no wrong way to do it :)

After our time at MK, we went back to the hotel for pool time and relaxation.

Up next... Dinner at Boatwright's!!

Thanks for sharing! Dole Whip... drool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter