• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're here now and after 3 days of parks we wont be coming back again

Ikaikalani

Tee-Eye-double Guh-err
We did a 7 day Fantasy cruise followed by a week at WDW. This was our 5th Disney cruise and about our 20th WDW visit, our last visit was a week before things closed for covid. I'm a huge Dis fan and supporter, but after the last few park days, we wont be returning again. Next week is Spring break and M-F all parks but EPCOT are sold out, but this week all parks are available. The cruise was wonderful and up to the previous standards. The parks however are a bust. It is obvious they are over selling and crowd levels are nearly impossible to manage. We stayed in EPCOT for less than 60 minutes before giving up to salvage the day elsewhere. 30-45 minute wait just to buy a food sampling in World showcase, just so you can stand in the middle of a moving sea of people to try to eat it. I cant begin to imagine what it will be like next week. As for Cast members, about 50% I would now call employees, with as much cheer and helpfulness as the McDonalds window sever during lunch hour. Perhaps they're overworked, or maybe new and untrained, but either way they are not the Cast members of previous visits. Ex: I approached a guest service Plaid with a Pad for assistance. I was greeted with "Did you need sonething?" I explained my issue and they said "give me your phone". I did, they fixed the issue on their pad, and said "Ok, its fixed", handed me my phone, looked past me to the person behind me and said "Did you need something"? And so it went. Some Cast members were great! But there is an obvious decline in their usual solidarity of friendliness. In the Magic Kingdom I was celebrating my birthday. After lunch at Jungle Nav Co, we headed to Cosmic Ray's so I could watch Sonny Eclipse (huge fan here) and I was sporting my favorite Sonny E Tshirt. Upon arriving, the cast members closed ranks at the door and refused to let me in since I hadn't done a mobile order. I explained that I just wanted to watch Sonny Eclipse. At first they said no, I couldnt go in. And even tho there were many many open tables, If I hadn't been wearing a bday button and tshirt I wouldnt have finally been 'allowed' to go inside. This is what Disneyworld has become! If they cant extract money from you for something you are of no use to them.The inflated prices, overcrowdedness, obvious money grabs at every turn have sucked the magic out of the most magical place on earth. Whats even worse is the fact that even with all this money grabbing, our DIS stock is worth far less today than a year ago. I'm so sorry to be writing this as I've loved Disney World since childhood and go every other year, but those days are behind me. I will still cruise on DCL and visit Hong Kong, Paris, and other parks, but here in the USA I'm done and dont see ever returning again 😥

OP, I am not sure if this is your knee-jerk response after a disappointing and frustrating experience, or is a settled decision arrived at after a good bit of thought.

Disney should be doing better. I agree. But I also understand there are things that are still in flux. For example, entertainment offerings that suck guests out of line for rides and makes wait times more tolerable. All rides and dining firing on all cylinders to increase bandwidth and further suck up crowds. A new IT system in G+/ILL that was not ready for prime time but can be fixed given time. And pent-up demand from visitors over the last 2 years to "get back to their happy place" thus stressing the system. Plus more I am sure.

I would rather wait and see how things shake out before coming to any final decisions that Disney USA is somehow ruined forever.

Finally, I see a lot of frustrated people on this forum who are using the forum to bash Disney every chance they get. I am sorry you are all so upset and agree that you have a reason to be upset and the right to complain. Just know that I am not going to spend time debating you about Disney's failures. I hope things get better for everyone sooner rather than later.

We did a 7 day Fantasy cruise followed by a week at WDW. This was our 5th Disney cruise and about our 20th WDW visit, our last visit was a week before things closed for covid. I'm a huge Dis fan and supporter, but after the last few park days, we wont be returning again. Next week is Spring break and M-F all parks but EPCOT are sold out, but this week all parks are available. The cruise was wonderful and up to the previous standards. The parks however are a bust. It is obvious they are over selling and crowd levels are nearly impossible to manage. We stayed in EPCOT for less than 60 minutes before giving up to salvage the day elsewhere. 30-45 minute wait just to buy a food sampling in World showcase, just so you can stand in the middle of a moving sea of people to try to eat it. I cant begin to imagine what it will be like next week. As for Cast members, about 50% I would now call employees, with as much cheer and helpfulness as the McDonalds window sever during lunch hour. Perhaps they're overworked, or maybe new and untrained, but either way they are not the Cast members of previous visits. Ex: I approached a guest service Plaid with a Pad for assistance. I was greeted with "Did you need sonething?" I explained my issue and they said "give me your phone". I did, they fixed the issue on their pad, and said "Ok, its fixed", handed me my phone, looked past me to the person behind me and said "Did you need something"? And so it went. Some Cast members were great! But there is an obvious decline in their usual solidarity of friendliness. In the Magic Kingdom I was celebrating my birthday. After lunch at Jungle Nav Co, we headed to Cosmic Ray's so I could watch Sonny Eclipse (huge fan here) and I was sporting my favorite Sonny E Tshirt. Upon arriving, the cast members closed ranks at the door and refused to let me in since I hadn't done a mobile order. I explained that I just wanted to watch Sonny Eclipse. At first they said no, I couldnt go in. And even tho there were many many open tables, If I hadn't been wearing a bday button and tshirt I wouldnt have finally been 'allowed' to go inside. This is what Disneyworld has become! If they cant extract money from you for something you are of no use to them.The inflated prices, overcrowdedness, obvious money grabs at every turn have sucked the magic out of the most magical place on earth. Whats even worse is the fact that even with all this money grabbing, our DIS stock is worth far less today than a year ago. I'm so sorry to be writing this as I've loved Disney World since childhood and go every other year, but those days are behind me. I will still cruise on DCL and visit Hong Kong, Paris, and other parks, but here in the USA I'm done and dont see ever returning again 😥

So sorry....For your experience & all the others.
So now it seems you can't just go sit inside a QS restaurant to enjoy a few minutes rest & the ambience unless you've ordered food? pretty soon they'll put a minimum $ ordered before we're allowed in.
I love just ordering a soda & drinking up the atmosphere everywhere (Pinocchio's,

As far as your sunny eclipse experience is the reason why I love mobile order, they don't let people in who didn't order which is the way it should be. It's the worst when your actually trying
to have a meal and can't find a table because half of them are being occupied by people just hanging out. Aside from maybe a fast food restaurant can you just walk in a restaurant and
sit without ordering anything, why should a theme park be any different. Since Disney started this process finding a table has been a breeze and I hope it stays this way.

OP, I am not sure if this is your knee-jerk response after a disappointing and frustrating experience, or is a settled decision arrived at after a good bit of thought.

Disney should be doing better. I agree. But I also understand there are things that are still in flux. For example, entertainment offerings that suck guests out of line for rides and makes wait times more tolerable. All rides and dining firing on all cylinders to increase bandwidth and further suck up crowds. A new IT system in G+/ILL that was not ready for prime time but can be fixed given time. And pent-up demand from visitors over the last 2 years to "get back to their happy place" thus stressing the system. Plus more I am sure.

I would rather wait and see how things shake out before coming to any final decisions that Disney USA is somehow ruined forever.

Finally, I see a lot of frustrated people on this forum who are using the forum to bash Disney every chance they get. I am sorry you are all so upset and agree that you have a reason to be upset and the right to complain. Just know that I am not going to spend time debating you about Disney's failures. I hope things get better for everyone sooner rather than later.
I understand your knee jerk reaction comment, but this is not that (that was typed out a few days ago and then deleted before I posted..lol). We had a good time, but only because we are veterans and are happy with the small things (like Sonny Ecliose!!). We did a few attractions and managed the crowds. Parades are back (we watched Fantasy Faire parade which was a joy to see again), and there was lots of entertainment. But the money grabs at every turn, the unhappy employees creeping in, and mostly the overcrowding to bust the seams are the principle complaints here. I still love Disney, but wont be returning to WDW.. at least for years and years. Perhaps Shanghi next!!!

As far as your sunny eclipse experience is the reason why I love mobile order, they don't let people in who didn't order which is the way it should be. It's the worst when your actually trying
to have a meal and can't find a table because half of them are being occupied by people just hanging out. Aside from maybe a fast food restaurant can you just walk in a restaurant and
sit without ordering anything, why should a theme park be any different. Since Disney started this process finding a table has been a breeze and I hope it stays this way.
As I stated, there were lots and lots of empty tables, 20 at least, and I've always watched SE on all previous visits without issue with plenty of empty tables around. As stated, these are the things I saw that have changed.

Yeah, I get it. My Disney trip a month ago was the pits, though contrary to your experience, the one saving grace was actually the CM's. Most were pretty good to great, except for at one quick service, that decided that not only did I need to have placed a mobile order, but it actually had to be ready in order for me to enter and find a seat. Because that's what I want to do when my order is ready, sit 3 kids down and get them ready and then after that 10 minute ordeal, go get my cold food. It's tough, because everyone who went on the trip that wasn't involved in the planning (so everyone but me) had such a great time that I have to keep going back.

So sorry....For your experience & all the others.
So now it seems you can't just go sit inside a QS restaurant to enjoy a few minutes rest & the ambience unless you've ordered food? pretty soon they'll put a minimum $ ordered before we're allowed in.
I love just ordering a soda & drinking up the atmosphere everywhere (Pinocchio's,

I was able to order a drink and sit inside Columbia Harbour House on our last trip. I appreciate how CMs make sure there are tables for people who have ordered something, and it's a policy I strongly agree with. No more hunting down a table with a full tray for me and two kids. It was the worst when it was raining out - people sitting at tables just to get out of the rain. Too bad if you were standing there with a tray of food.

Yeah, I get it. My Disney trip a month ago was the pits, though contrary to your experience, the one saving grace was actually the CM's. Most were pretty good to great, except for at one quick service, that decided that not only did I need to have placed a mobile order, but it actually had to be ready in order for me to enter and find a seat. Because that's what I want to do when my order is ready, sit 3 kids down and get them ready and then after that 10 minute ordeal, go get my cold food. It's tough, because everyone who went on the trip that wasn't involved in the planning (so everyone but me) had such a great time that I have to keep going back.

You don't get your food, then go find a seat?

We understand where you are coming from.
I will not say Never but we are waiting a couple of years before deciding if we will return.
We are still smarting over losing a lot of value out of our Annual Pass in 2020 (did not request refund because we never thought the mask mandate would go on so long).
We are watching the boards with crowds, park reservations, less entertainment, prices, etc just not making sense for us to spend that kind of money right now.
As soon as all restrictions and testing are lifted on the ships, we will be sailing again with DCL.

"And pent-up demand from visitors over the last 2 years to "get back to their happy place""

See, I don't get this. If it was just pent-up demand, then why use the reservation system. Logically, the reservation system is lowering the number of people in the parks so we should not be at pre-Covid levels. If we are, then we don't need the reservation system.

Either Disney is over selling reservations, or we are not at pre-Covid levels. The odds of both being correct are small. People want to believe that once people get "travel out of their system" it will go back to normal, but there are no signs that this is anything but the new normal.

It's was interesting listening to the earning's call yesterday. When asked about park performance and the Genie, Chapek and the CFO said things were better than ever. Attendance was down, 1/3 of all guests were happily using Genie and spending on food and merchandise was up. Guess they don't spend anytime on these boards.

"And pent-up demand from visitors over the last 2 years to "get back to their happy place""

See, I don't get this. If it was just pent-up demand, then why use the reservation system. Logically, the reservation system is lowering the number of people in the parks so we should not be at pre-Covid levels. If we are, then we don't need the reservation system.

Either Disney is over selling reservations, or we are not at pre-Covid levels. The odds of both being correct are small. People want to believe that once people get "travel out of their system" it will go back to normal, but there are no signs that this is anything but the new normal.

I believe they stated the reservation system would allow them to balance the parks out for staffing needs, but to me it seems every dial is turned up to 11, so I guess that's balanced insanity right?

That sucks. But anytime you have visited a place twenty or more times, there is going to be some denigration in the experience. FWIW, I think you just got unlucky at Epcot and the crowds. We were there just a few weeks ago and the crowds were busy, but not crazy. It sucks that they wouldn't let you in Rays. They have been doing that since the park re-opened post covid. i remember last May not being allowed entry. I had even placed a mobile order, but they wouldn't let me in until the order on my phone showed as ready, not just placed. I didn't enjoy that. But it also didn't ruin the experience to the point where I wouldn't return. Hope trips other places bring you more joy

It's was interesting listening to the earning's call yesterday. When asked about park performance and the Genie, Chapek and the CFO said things were better than ever. Attendance was down, 1/3 of all guests were happily using Genie and spending on food and merchandise was up. Guess they don't spend anytime on these boards.

It's not like the one-off big spenders had a great time either. I mean, I just helped a family plan a trip. 7AM Genie+ for three rides, ILL$, Light Sabers, Oga's, $8 blue milk, all of it. They won't be back either. But Chapek got what he wanted!

I was able to order a drink and sit inside Columbia Harbour House on our last trip. I appreciate how CMs make sure there are tables for people who have ordered something, and it's a policy I strongly agree with. No more hunting down a table with a full tray for me and two kids. It was the worst when it was raining out - people sitting at tables just to get out of the rain. Too bad if you were standing there with a tray of food.
Well, in the good ole' days, like 4 yrs ago, using a table to enjoy a drink wasn't a problem...but then I never did it during typical lunch/dinner hours. Never ate a meal during those hours either to avoid crowds, even when son was a toddler.
As to escaping rain, it's what people do, especially with kids. Can't blame them.
The fact that EVERYTHING is so crowded now ALL THE TIME is just bizarre. These are crowds I only saw on BIG holiday weekends. They even destroyed the beautiful area/moat at the end of Main St to widen walkways, acommodate more folks & ease the flow but it hasn't helped.
Something's rotten in Chapek World.

I approached a guest service Plaid with a Pad for assistance. I was greeted with "Did you need sonething?" I explained my issue and they said "give me your phone". I did, they fixed the issue on their pad, and said "Ok, its fixed", handed me my phone, looked past me to the person behind me and said "Did you need something"? And so it went.
I'm confused. That sounds like they fixed your issue.
Some Cast members were great!
Or did you mean this as an example of a great cast member?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter