We're going to Disney for 9 nights at Christmas! And you won't believe my hotel rate!

DisneyFansInLINY

DIS Veteran
So excited! My dh and I wanted so bad to go to Disney at Christmas and New years but never thought we could go the way we like to travel without breaking the bank since it's an expensive time to go. But, I called the Swan & Dolphin since my dh's work gets a discount there. But the rate I got has never been this good! I expected to pay at least $250 a night, instead we are paying $149 for the 1st night and $169 per night for the other 8 nights! Our hotel budget was $2000 and since it was so much less than we thought it was going to be, we can now go for 9 nights from 12/23-1/1. I wanted 11 nights but my DH said no way and we compromised at 9! So all in with taxes and resort fees, it's going to be less than $1800 and we are in walking distance to Epcot as well as the Boardwalk! Ahhhh can't wait! I know I had posted that we wanted to go in Feburary and rent points, but this turns out to be better! And my hubby and mom's birthday (actually her 60th) is Dec. 24! So hoping to get the whole family down here as they have a vacation home in Kissimmee. Just don't know what to do about presents for DD and DS! DH is worried about a Christmas tree.. Oh well I will have to work on making this the best Christmas ever. I always went with my parents and the last time was about 7 years ago. However, we always stayed at their vacation home which was fully decorated for Christmas. So any suggestions for keeping the Christmas feel in our hotel room?

No suggestions, just wanted to say have a wonderful time. Crowds can be bad, but being at WDW is so worth it! Have a great trip.

We went for Christmas last year and had a blast! The decorations are incredible. I can't help you about decorations but I can share with you what we did last year. I packed the kids into the car (still practically sleeping, 6 am) and ran back in and set up all the Christmas presents. I took a picture on my phone and texted it to my girlfriend. I changed her name on my phone so on Christmas morning she sent me a text from 'santa' with a picture of all their presents under the tree. It gave them something to look forward to when we got home. I got them a couple small things to open on Christmas morning but we were also in a vacation home, not a hotel room. It was incredible! :goodvibes

Congrats on getting a great rate! Don't you just love it? We are going in December too and I got a great rate at Wyndham Bonnet Creek...paying $625 for the week, including taxes, for a 2 BR condo. It is our first time off site but I couldn't pass up that deal, especially with the fantastic reviews everyone gives that place.

Coincidentally, just today for the very first time I started thinking about Christmas decorations. We will not be there ON Christmas, but since we have our tree up at home during that time, I thought it would be cool to have a few decorations. The first thing I thought of was window clings-- Disney themed Christmas clings are usually pretty easy to find. Our condo will be pretty big, I think 1100 sq feet so it's not like I can really deck the place out. But I was thinking maybe I would bring a little 2 ft prelit tree and put it in my boys' bedroom, and then they could keep it on at night as a nightlight, too. I could just leave it there afterward and then that would free up suitcase space for souvenirs.

:cool1:
We went for Christmas one year and loved it!!
Before we left my nephew took my kids for a bit so Hubby and I could put all the presents under the tree. They then came back to pick us up and we went to the airport. We rented a car while in Disney and we went to Target and bought a cheap little tree, a couple of cheap ornaments and a box or two of candy canes to use as ornaments also. In our suitcase I packed some little stockings for the kids and put those on the dresser knobs.
On Christmas morning the kids woke up to a few little toys and such in their stocking and one small gift for each of them under the tree. All the stuff was Disney themed. They also got a letter from Santa saying that he had left all of their other presents at home under the tree since he didn't want us to have to worry about taking all the stuff home.
The kids were thrilled!!!

We decided that Christmas at Disney is going to be a bi-annual tradition for us. This is a Disney year! :cheer2:

I bought a 3' tree from JCPenney.com (found the best deal there) and had it delivered to the hotel. We kept it on the table between the beds and left the lights on at night for a night light. We bought a few small Disney decorations, and we made a bunch of styrofoam ball Mickey heads. I just attached 3 balls with toothpicks, spray painted, and stuck hangers in the top - simple!

I also picked up a flat lighted Mickey decoration to hang on the mirror (or window).

On Christmas morning, Santa brought all the presents to the room! We originally talked to Santa about bringing various forms of $$$ - gift cards, cash, rolls of quarters, etc., but DD saved up so much money prior to the trip that money wasn't going to cut it. She was really into Monster High that year, so Santa ended up bringing TONS of Monster High dolls along with our stockings. We will do something similar this year. Santa bought at last 2 extra years by showing up in our hotel room.

By the way, kids don't notice extra suitcases...and between souvenirs and presents, we filled it up on the way home, too.

We went last year and brought a small Disney tree I bought at Walgreens. My children are older, but still love Christmas morning. Santa pre-purchased all the gifts, wrapping paper (DON'T pre-wrap), tape, and scissors and put them under my clothes. Imagine my surprise... LOL. I wrapped while they swam, put them in a draw since teenagers don't care about my underwear, and Santa arrived soon after they fell asleep.

What we were not expecting is while we were doing the Sunrise Safari, the AKL Santa left gifts also. Plus they also left cookies and a plate for Santa the night before.

Disney is a special place for Christmas. Enjoy your trip!

we brought an artificial tree for the room (real trees against fire hazard) we purchased ornament hooks from dollar tree and bought Christmas snickers/milky way etc when we got to Florida--hot glued to hooks and decorated tree with them (2 in 1 decorations and a snack) and a couple of rolls of ribbon---on Christmas morning Santa left $5 gift cards for fast food restaurants we left tree with a note if they could please donate it

Congratulations on your great rate! I LOVE the Swan and Dolphin, and the Swan is my resort of choice! If you are a AAA member, you can save 20% at several of the eateries at the resort; Picabu, The Fountain, and Fresh come to mind.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year at WDW!

We have a 3' silver tree that we take when we stay at the Swan during the holidays; it has turquoise-colored bead ornaments that match the decor. (I didn't do that on purpose, but it looks very lovely in those white and blue rooms.)

We usually use SPG points for a holiday stay at the Swan every 3 years or so; the only real drawback is that swimming is normally too cold because they do not heat their pools to the same temp that Disney properties do.

I loved going on Christmas. It was really magical. I can't wait to do it with the kids, we're waiting for them to be a bit older though because it's definitely a tad chaotic.

Christmas at Disney is awesome! I hope you have a wonderful time (you will!)

We decided last year to make Christmas at Disney a regular event and since we only have one 10 year old at home we don't have to worry about presents very much. We bought her a few things at the Parks for Christmas morning and called it good.

It was wonderful to opt out of the shopping, cooking, planning hoopla and we had a lovely relaxed vacation instead. I really liked it and am looking forward to this year! We drove down and I took a little 3 foot tree we had and some lights. This year I want to find a little prelit tree and some window clings.

We are doing Disney for Christmas this year, too! We are staying in a 3 BR townhouse at Windsor Hills for $1100 for the week! I love a good Disney deal, too! Nice work on the Swan deal! We are taking the Auto Train, so I'm planning to pack up a 3' fake tree and bring some Disney decos for the tree and townhouse. I haven't figured out yet if Santa will bring everything to Disney or leave a few things at home, too. I'm loving all the ideas here! We will probably take our Elf on the Shelf along to Florida with us, too. I can't wait!

OP, what a wonderful deal and I hope you have a magical Christmas :thumbsup2

I also love all the ideas on this thread. I would love to do a Disney Christmas one year as it seems so magical in spite of all the stories you hear about the crowds and prices. We have thought about doing a holiday trip once the kids get out of school for Christmas break and just doing Sea World, MVMCP, DTD, and visiting a few Disney deluxe resorts (WL, BWI, GF) to see the various holiday decorations.

I'm so excited to read all of this! We are heading to Disney for our First time ever! Me, DH, DD 11, DD 5! We will be there Dec. 22 thru Dec. 29! Christmas to me can't be any better than spending it in Disney! I am the most excited about this trip my daughters and husband think I am obsessed! We are staying @ All Star Movies! Does anyone know if they do anything special Christmas day @ the resort or Animal Kingdom because that's the park we picked for Us to spend Christmas day at!

Congrats OP! You are going to have an awesome Christmas!!!

We will be staying at OKW (renting DVC points) Dec. 22 - 29. SOOO excited. I would love to bring some decorations...but we will be on the Fantasy Dec 15 - 22 and I am really freaking out about packing for a two week vacation especially since it is land/sea. Window clings might have to be it!

We were at the Gaylord Opryland hotel last year for Christmas. I brought a couple of strands of those large colored LED Christmas lights and strung them over the bed and dresser. Very festive and didn't take up very much room. Santa had packed a couple of gifts in a large cardboard box that we placed in the top of the closet and our son never noticed. On Christmas morning, our son discovered the gifts at the hotel doorway - Santa has to be very efficient in large hotels! My son also found a few larger items under our tree when we returned home which was also fun.

We will see you there! We are going for our 2nd Christmas trip and staying at the Bay Lakes Tower. You will love Christmas in the parks! So pretty especially Disney Holiday Studios-great light show. Very crowded but if you can make rope drop as well as go back to your hotel for a break then back to the park, you will have a blast. We have a miniature tree and Santa brings small gifts Christmas morning. We eat at Liberty Tree Tavern for a nice turkey dinner. I think we are switching things up this year and doing the Rose and Crown at Epcot for a more British meal.
Have fun!
Elizabeth:santa:

Great thread!! We too are doing Disney for Christmas, Dec 22-29. Since we also have an older daughter in college who is not joining us for the trip, we are thinking of doing our Christmas day before we leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter