We're Going on a Disney Cruise ! But wait.... where's the ship? Feb 13th Eastern

A couple of days and I will have the Ladies Lunch photos up on here for you......:thumbsup2

.....unless of course anyone wants to slip me a few $$$ NOT to publish !!! :rolleyes1

A couple of days and I will have the Ladies Lunch photos up on here for you......:thumbsup2

.....unless of course anyone wants to slip me a few $$$ NOT to publish !!! :rolleyes1

Judy,
That will be great, thanks so much! It was so fun having lunch with you that day , I'm glad we made that plan (and of course I'm glad we ended up with the towel! ;) )

Karen

Saturday morning the alarm went off at 6:30 and we reluctantly got ourselves out of bed. We didn't have much to do - everything was pretty much ready to go. We had decided not to attempt breakfast in the dining room, as much as we would have liked to see our dining friends one more time, but the timing just wasn't going to work for us. We realized we hadn't been left a comment card - too bad, we would have liked to compliment them on the handling of the delay. We went to Topsiders and quickly got our food. No one was really all that hungry, so it didn't take long. We soon got into line for debarkation and were almost all the way back to Parrot Cay. The line was stopped for some reason, and had really backed up. We didn't mind since John, Barbara and Jen came into line right after us, so we were able to spend a few more minutes with them. :hug: Once it got moving again, though, it went fast. I absolutely hate that sign.... "See you real soon"..... that darn Captain Mickey looks so HAPPY.... why isn't he sad like we are???:smickey:

Quickly through customs and on to find our luggage. Everything was there, except... my bag. We described it to the porter (black like everyone else's :)) who did his best to locate it but no luck. Oh well...... better now than at the start of the cruise. Off I go to fill out the lost luggage paperwork and right next to the desk is...... my bag! Feeling pretty lucky to have found it, we headed off the ship. As I was leaving, I saw the same lovely DCL worker who helped us out the week before when we were stranded in the parking lot. ( Now... what are the chances of that?) I walk over and tell her who I am and properly thank her for helping us out. I tell her how we ended up being the "First Family" to board. She was so gracious and kind, I can't believe that I spoke to her twice and never got her name. :confused3

Shortly after 8:00 our towncar arrived and we were quickly at the airport. Why is it that it's so quick to get back there, but on the day you are arriving it takes forever to get to the port? All the way there I was thinking about Jody and her NO FLIGHT status. The girls and I aren't leaving until 3 pm, so we'll have hours and hours in the airport, but Jody was originally scheduled to leave at 11 am. Should I tell her ? I decide not to , figuring she'll find out soon enough.

We sit the girls down with the bags and I told Jody that I'd go over to the the Air Tran counter with her. She presented her paperwork, the counter girl made a face and called someone else over. Ignorance is bliss for Jody at that point, but I am feeling pretty nervous! :sad2: Soon enough they simply tell her that her flight was canceled and they have "rebooked her". Yeah... rebooked her on 3 flights! She had to fly basically all day, starting with a flight from Orlando to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Baltimore and then finally to Boston. Seven hours of flying and her first flight was leaving in a half hour! "Will I make it?" she asks. "Yes, go right now, we've called and told them you're on your way." I walked over to security with her and it was pretty crowded. The couple in front hear us talking about her time crunch and let her go ahead of them - there are a lot of really nice people in this world. :love: In a short while she texts to say that she's boarding her first plane. One down, two to go.

The girls and I read, people watch, and pass a couple hours in the airport. Sitting across from us is a family who has also been on the cruise. They are calling family and talking about the cruise. Like us, they feel that Disney was generous and did they best they could with the delay. After listening to the crabby hot tub man onboard, I was happy to hear that others felt the same way we did. Jody calls and says she's in Atlanta and heading to the gate for her second flight. Two down. :thumbsup2 We browsed in the shops and had lunch at Chiles and then, around 1:00 pm we decided to go through security. Meg got stopped because we had a small bottle of hand sanitizer (a FE gift) in the suitcase she was pulling. The inspector was very nice about it, said it was fine to keep in there, and complimented us on our "excellent packing". I guess that was to distract us from the fact that our underwear and dirty clothes were flying around in the busy airport. :rolleyes1

We found our gate and saw Linda and Betty sitting there! How nice to have one last visit with them. :hug: We filled them in on Jody's flight resolution - everyone in our group knew about her cancellation except her :laughing:- promised to get together again (they are in NYC) and soon their flight was called. We then started chatting with a mom and daughter who had spent a week in WDW. They were interested in the cruise and asked a lot of questions. They knew it was delayed (had seen it on the news) and were interested in that, too. We told them how we felt Disney had treated us well thoughout the crazy delay weekend. I noticed a young, very pretty girl who was sitting nearby listening really listening to our conversation. Soon she joined in, and it turned out that she was CINDERELLA! princess: Her DCL contract had ended (she wasn't sure if she'd go back) and she was returning home to New Hampshire. She told us what it was like to be on the ship during the storm that prevented them from leaving CC (clearly we got the better deal) and was interested in what compensation we had received. She said the CMs were wondering what DCL would do for those of us who were unable to board. It's funny that we are always wanting to know more about life as a DCL CM, and they were wondering how we had been treated!

Our flight was quick and uneventful. We arrived in Boston about an hour before Jody, but we had checked her luggage with us so she could just walk off. She said her three flights were fine, but it was hectic and she was mad that they had changed it at the last minute. I confessed that I had known since Thursday and just didn't want to ruin her last couple days. ;) We stopped for dinner on the way home and it was so COLD! Snow banks everywhere... ugh. Back to reality! We were finally home about 10:00 pm- it had been a long day. It always amazes me that one day you're on Castaway Cay and the next you're back home.

NEXT - how to figure that "20% refund" and the things we came home without

Great report - fantastic attitude! :thumbsup2

I just had to post that I HATE that "see you real soon" banner too!
I hate leaving! We all HATE the airport and my teens end up depressed and sleeping on the floor! I'ts so sad to come home! That's why we book again and again :) :banana:

Great report I really enjoyed it !! :thumbsup2

...and since nobody came forward to pass me a few bucks for the negatives ;), here are the ladies lunch photos :scared1:

Here's the booty !!!!!

CNV00096.jpg

Here's the lunch !!

CNV00099.jpg

CNV00098.jpg

CNV00097.jpg

CNV00100.jpg

Now for the gift exchange ...let battle commence !!!

CNV00102.jpg

Oh yes ....and now, the star of the show !!!!

Ladies I give you ....

THE TOWEL !!!

CNV00104.jpg

oooohhhhh the towel !!!! ......

CNV00110.jpg

...so near but so far ....
CNV00111.jpg

There's more great gifts though !!!! ......

CNV00107.jpg

CNV00108.jpg

CNV00112.jpg

CNV00113.jpg

CNV00114.jpg

CNV00117.jpg

Okay ......did anyone see where the towel went ?????:

:confused3:confused3:confused3

CNV00115.jpg

....HINT ...who is sitting pretty then ???? ;)

...and so to the final swap ...its all to play for on Meaghan's turn ...now you all KNOW Karen ain't going to keep that wine !!!!!
(sorry about the picture quality)

CNV00119.jpg

...and to the victor the spoils !!!.......
CNV00118.jpg

......well played Meaghan...you know how to keep your Mum sweet ! :hug:!

That was cute with the pictures. Looks like tons of fun had with the exchange and all the cool gifts.

Thank you Judy for the great photos. It's fun to relive the lunch, but more fun to have pictures of all "our ladies!

I can't believe I just found this today!!! Really enjoyed reading it all, Karen. It brought back a lot of fun memories. I'd forgotten how you came over to us and said, "are you Linda and Betty?" Thanks for taking the time to share your whole experience.

Sunday morning ~ back to reality and the unpacking and laundry to do, but first Meaghan needed to be taken back to college , about an hour and a half drive each way. We quickly got her things sorted out so that she could take what she needed back with her. My cell phone was dying but I couldn't seem to find the charger anywhere. I had brought it on the trip, but hadn't used it since the day we boarded. I had charged my phone that day then shut it off and put it in the safe for the week since I didn't want to incur roaming/international charges . Hmmmm....... I also couldn't find my black shoes - the ones I had worn on the ship but then couldn't find to wear home and thought they had been packed. We had checked and re-checked before we left the cabin, looking on/in/under everything so it's really a mystery...... I called DCL and they said they'd check for them when the ship came in the following Saturday, but I never heard from them. :confused3 Of course the shoes were brand new.... bought 2 weeks before the trip. It figures!

We were told that we were to be given a 20% refund on the voyage fare (what you paid minus taxes and port charges) but since I had paid with points for passengers 1, 2 , and 3 and Jody had paid with cash, we were uncertain how to determine what portion of the total refund belonged to her. Knowing that the first two passengers pay more than passengers 3 and 4, it was hard to know how to give Jody her fair share. It took me many calls to DCL and DVC to finally get this straightened out, and about a month from the date of the cruise to receive the actual refund check in the mail. In all the years (since 1992) of dealing with DVC I have never had an unpleasant experience with Member Services, but this time I did. Yes, I know it was an unusual thing to have points converted to a cash refund, but I thought my question was legitimate. DVC said I had to talk to DCL. But then DCL would tell me they couldn't deal with me directly because DVC was, in effect, "my agent". On and on it went for days until I was so disgusted I decided to just divide the refund in fourths and give Jody that share. I knew that would be a little more than her actual share since she paid as a "4th passenger", but at least I knew I wouldn't be cheating her. Then out of the blue I got a call from a manager at DVC. Apparently the cruise line had forwarded my final (nice, but stern) e-mail to him. He broke the refund down per person for me in about 2 minutes. Now why couldn't that have been done the first time around???? :sad2:

In spite of the late start and the not perfect weather, we had an amazing time. There were things we never did get to do, and things we would have liked to have done more of, but all in all it was a wonderful adventure. Kelly loved the Stack even more this time (if that's possible), and even though Meaghan SHOULD have been in school, I am grateful for the opportunity to spend time with her whenever I can. This cruise was different because we spent so much time with the folks we "met" online beforehand , and that proved to be a lot of fun. The linked dining and the Ladies lunch were so much fun, as was sharing time on the islands. We are all richer for the time spent together, and, I truly hope that I will get to see at least some of them again, but if not, thanks for the memories! :hug: Each time I leave the ship I wonder if I'll sail on her again. With the two new ships coming out and rumor that the Magic will be going to Europe, this may very well have been our last time on our beloved ship. :sad1:

After all the months of planning and chatting online, it's a bit of a let-down when it's all over (that's why people write trip reports:rotfl: )

Thanks for reading, and as they say on the ship...... See you next time......:love:

Great TR - thanks for writing it. You inspired me to book a Magic 7 night cruise for next Feb vacation. My family is thrilled but the bank account started to wimper!

Beautiful report (your last paragraph brought me to tears!!!)

We had a great time, so glad we met you all :banana:

Great TR - thanks for writing it. You inspired me to book a Magic 7 night cruise for next Feb vacation. My family is thrilled but the bank account started to wimper!

Have a wonderful time! Where "way west of Boston" do you live?

We are in the Springfield area. Much quieter than my hometown of Boston but a pretty good place to live. :thumbsup2 Where in Mass are you?

I was always curious as to the "People" story behind this story.
Thanks for the wonderful TR, loved it & your great attitude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter