We're finally here! - Live Trip Report

marclichon

Earning My Ears
:goodvibes Good morning, DisCampers!

It's raining, but it's Disney so it's ok...

It's cool out, but it's below freezing @ home so it's ok...

I would have posted this yesterday but after 18+ hours of towing we were spent. This is our first stay at The Fort but we've come here every trip to relax. As a matter of fact, DW and I finally decided to take-the-plunge and purchase our camper after our first visit; we grew up as campers and always loved it and wanted to share it with our klids (4 of 'em) but never thought we could afford it (or handle the 'stress') but we've always thought that people who 'camp' tended to be a little more grounded and easy-going and that's what we're trying to raise here. Anyway, finally bringing our camper to The Fort is like coming full-circle and, literally, a dream come true for us.

... but we almost died getting here popcorn::

We had our share of nay-sayers saying it's too dangerous and that we shouldn't do it (our parents) then we had others who were more encouraging. We were freaked out but finally decided that a) we promised another familly we'd come (in fact, we invited them first!) and b) thousands of other people do it every day sucessfully c) one of the girls (12 yrs/old) in the family we invited lost her mother to cancer last month so any chance of cancelling now was past (wait until I tell you what Disney is doing for her!!! more on that later...)

... back to us...

We've never pulled our rig more than 120mi and never gassed-up with it attached so we were pretty anxious. We have AAA and had everything checked out so we thought we were ok (until I learned about GoodSam being better as AAA may not pull our 26ft'r; any opinions/experience out there?). We hitched and loaded up in the frigid Cincinnati winter around 3pm Friday and drove through the Kentucky and the Tennesee Mountains easily enough (skirting a bad storm), expecting southern Georgia to be a breeze and it was!!!! Left, Right, Head-on, Torrents of rain, HUGE standing puddles, Tractor-Trailers making out like Smokey And The Bandit throwing us all over the road; it was white knuckled for awhile. Especially given the fact that DW had taken over for me at Chattanooga at 11:30 pm. Her only previous experience with towing the camper was a nice sunny Sunday drive down I-71 from Columbus to Cincinnati last summer. We finally arrived Saturday around 11am and biked while we waited for our site (thanks to all the Discampers I felt like a pro, knowing what to expect at the entrance-gate and that arriving earily would be ok if our site wasn't ready).

It kind of hit us while biking; "We're HERE, we finally made it!!!" I guess that was when we finally entered into our Disney Zone. DW and I were exhausted but the kids were wound up after an 18hour nap so we trudged on, got our site setup and met our friends whose first steps on Disney Property (for this trip, they're veterans) were to meet us at Rainforest Cafe (our traditional First Disney Dinner). We dined and drove back to our site, planning to go to the campfire/movie but the rain drove us back. DW went shopping for last-minute items while I bedded the kids and crashed hard myself.

This morning DS1(10 yrs/old) and I went for a dawn bikeride and found the trail from WL to The Fort. A nice morning sprinkle stopped by so we windowshopped in the giftshop and biked back when it left. Then it's surly cousin set in and pounded us between bus stops and willow trees as we raced back to the camper. Throughly soaked I decided to make coffee and write this report while everyone else still slept ;) , however sinced then they've all woken and I have some work to do so I'll add more as the trip continues. As a side note, I forgot who typed it but there is pollen everywhere. Also, I've been looking for the DisBoards flags but haven't seen any yet (but have seen lots of Mickey Lamps); we didn't have time to make ours but if we see you we'll stop and say hello!

popcorn:: I'm in. I can't wait to hear about it all as it happens. But, if you get too busy having fun, I understand that also. I hope the weather turns warm and dry the rest of your stay.

Congrats on your arrival home to your first Fort trip, :thumbsup2
I would like to say that's a great start to your trip report, simply awesome writing and look forward to more.

Looking forward to hearing more. Don't forget to share some photos too!:thumbsup2

Ok, you haven't posted anything since 9:38 this morning. Would you please stop having fun and post something already so those of us not at FW can live through you vicariously. LOL

Proudmomof4 we are checking in on Thursday as well :)

We are hoping to be in 1500 loop but if we get assigned to 2000 when we get there we will definitely be upgrading if possible.

Hope to see you there, have a great time.

... sorry for the delay; you know, Magic Kingdom and kids and all :)

After our last post DS (5 yrs/old) ran into a neighbors (parked) car. He weighs about as much as a full pop-can so there was no damage (save for his pride) but I wanted him to go thought the exercise of fessing-up and standing in line for whatever punishment comes so we had to go knock on the door and talk to them. The retirees were affable-enough and more concerned about him than their (towed-behind, so it was pockmarked anyway) car. I think the lesson would have been better-learned if the old man came out swingin' but it turned out just fine.

We pocho'd ourselves and bussed to the boat dock and took a miserable (well, as miserable as a ride-to-any-Disney-Park can be; which is to say I'd take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday) wet boatride to the MK.

The boys have been letting their hair grow for a few months in preparation for a Genuine Main Street Babershop Haircut so DD1 (14 yrs/old) and I left them and DD2 (11 yrs/old) at hit up some coffee and treats at the Main Street Bakery.

After morning treats we bounced some lasers off Buzz Lightyears Space Rangers, took a spin on CoP (it's not 'Disney' without a trip around the Carousel of Progress) where we saw the first of two very surprising things.

But, we're only back at the camper for dinner and need to head off for Extra Magic Hours so I'll post some more after we return and I've a cold Adult Beverage in hand. :)

P.S. Wishes is echoing through the woods as I type this; and the nighttime boat ride, I think, sealed the deal for me as it beats a crowded bus to All Star Sports hands-down.

I'm starting to plan our 1st trip for 2012. I can't wait to hear EVERYTHING about you trip! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!!!:goodvibes

I love a good Trip Report!

Any pictures???

Cathy

Thank you for the kind words and for listening; I love my family, I love writing, I love Disney and I love writing about my family at Disney! I'm also flattered that anyone is listening so thanks! I'll upload some pics tomorrow, it's been a very busy day and I haven't had time yet. Thanks for asking, thought!

Ok, so where where we?.... we rode... oh yeah, at CoP the lady in front of us got into a tiff with a Cast Member (CM). I missed most of it but only saw the CM make a strong comment like "Why don't you keep your party together?!" and make a supporting hand gesture. Her response was to tell him to "Off" with something that rhymed with "Eff", and his response was to call security. I was completely taken aback; I'd never seen anyone at Disney treat a guest like that! I overheard him tell another CM that the 'doors were supposed to be closed 5 minutes ago and this lady....', that's all I got so I asked DW if she heard it all and she caught me up: The lady was talking with a group of adults and her kids (4 of 'em) ran off into CoP. First, I think they should be congratulated because this is a woefully under-supported attraction and a hidden Gem, but that's another story and not my business and doesn't make for a very compelling story, does it? Anyway, when the father saw that the kids left he went into CoP after them while she organized several strollers and other people. They aparantly called for her and gave several warning that they were closing the doors but she kept procrastinating and held up the show (literally). I am astounded and disgusted at the aire of entitlement and selfishness displayed by many guests at Disney, and I'm sure CMs are probably saturated with a hatred for mankind after the average day-shift but they're paid and here by choice so that kind of outburst, while likely deserved, was completely out-of-line. Oh well, I'll try to be nice enough for two people to make up for it; that's the best I can contribute (well, that and to teach the kids to be so).

After paying homage to Mr. Disney's CoP we met our family-friends (a couple with twin girls just days-older than DS2), picked up FPs for Buzz and they rode SM with my family while I took DS2 and their little-little girls on the PeopleMover, after which we met back up and splattered the kids around the insides of the Tea Cups then went back to Buzz Lightyear.

Shortly after the their cousin and neice (or whatever you call your cousin's kid) finally arrived and met up with us. Now we're all here.

Without getting into too many details (too late, but this is a camping site so I imagine (if I haven't lost anyone yet) that you're more interesting in the Fort Wilderness part of the report) we snacked, rode, watched and skipped around the MK with ease. The crowds are very managable (especially compared to our usual Thanksgiving timeframe), the weather cleared and warmed up, and a good time was had by all.

I mentioned earlier that the boat ride was enjoyable and since we just rode it again (twice now, and it's Sunday come-to-think-of-it) after Extra Magic Hours I have to concur with myself (and I checked with the wife for good measure), this is vastly superior to Value resorts and even rivals the Moderate. I love sitting in our own place but still being surrounded by Disney. Everyone, EVERYONE says 'hello' when you pass by. I've known 'campers' to be friendly people but these are our people, Disney Campers! We have a simple, no-frills rig (no TV even; we're camping so at most we listen to Bluegrass on the stereophonic or something (extra points if you've ever called it the 'stereophonic' :) )) but it's arguably our favorite posession so having it here is like... I don't know, but I don't have to think of some scrabble-winning description because if you're reading this then you already know what I mean. See how beautifully this works?

Anyway, we did the carry-sleeping-kids-home trudge and now I'm unwinding at the table with the aforementioned Adult Drink and talking to you good people and can't think of a better way to end a great Disney day.

.... actually I can so I'm going to sign off now and chat up DW for a bit since the kids are dead-asleep :cool1:

Thanks again for reading, I can't wait to tell you what Disney does for Hanna (the 'niece' who lost her mother)(who is 14, I've come to learn since my first post).

P.S. please forgive any type-o's winding plot-lines; I ususally write these over time for MousePlanet and can edit them before posting but this is live so I'm winging it.

How special is this - a live trip report. Can't wait for day 2. Really appreciate your taking the time to post after a really long day.

Ok, so where where we?.... we rode... oh yeah, at CoP the lady in front of us got into a tiff with a Cast Member (CM). I missed most of it but only saw the CM make a strong comment like "Why don't you keep your party together?!" and make a supporting hand gesture. Her response was to tell him to "Off" with something that rhymed with "Eff", and his response was to call security. I was completely taken aback; I'd never seen anyone at Disney treat a guest like that! I overheard him tell another CM that the 'doors were supposed to be closed 5 minutes ago and this lady....', that's all I got so I asked DW if she heard it all and she caught me up: The lady was talking with a group of adults and her kids (4 of 'em) ran off into CoP. Anyway, when the father saw that the kids left he went into CoP after them while she organized several strollers and other people. They aparantly called for her and gave several warning that they were closing the doors but she kept procrastinating and held up the show (literally). I am astounded and disgusted at the aire of entitlement and selfishness displayed by many guests at Disney, and I'm sure CMs are probably saturated with a hatred for mankind after the average day-shift but they're paid and here by choice so that kind of outburst, while likely deserved, was completely out-of-line.

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. The fact is that the CMs ARE being paid to do a job and part of their job is to ensure that things run smoothly and on time. They are held accountable if they don't. And just because you are being paid to do a job doesn't mean that you have to turn a blind eye, or in this case ear, to a verbal assault from a "guest" or customer. You did hit the nail on the head about the air of entitlement exhibited. Frankly, had I been the CM at the attraction, if she hadn't gotten with the program after several warnings, I would have gone ahead and closed the doors and she could have either missed the show or made her family have to wait it out, like she was making other people wait, while she saw the next one.

We will be there Thursday - Sunday - HmHmHm like always - may add another night once we are there! We are in the 300 loop - ??? Got my Mickey Lamp already packed in the TT and Valentine Decor ready! By the way - are there a lot of decorations right now @ the sites???????? for :love: Day??

Love your trip report so far. I understand the drive and pulling a camper. Ever since I accidentally swerved way too much on I-95 with tractor trailers all around us and rain pouring down,(it wasn't my fault - at least that's my side of the story), anyway, DH does not ask me to drive as much.

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. The fact is that the CMs ARE being paid to do a job and part of their job is to ensure that things run smoothly and on time. They are held accountable if they don't. And just because you are being paid to do a job doesn't mean that you have to turn a blind eye, or in this case ear, to a verbal assault from a "guest" or customer. You did hit the nail on the head about the air of entitlement exhibited. Frankly, had I been the CM at the attraction, if she hadn't gotten with the program after several warnings, I would have gone ahead and closed the doors and she could have either missed the show or made her family have to wait it out, like she was making other people wait, while she saw the next one.

You make a good point with the argument about CMs responisibility for smooth operations and being held accountable for not. I too would have closed the door and moved on were I the CM, but I can only imagine the torrent of fire that would have been thrown had he done so.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter