• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're doing what??? A Wonder-ful PTR

Which Port Adventure in Cabo?

• Coastal Highlights Tour

• Harbor Cruise and Scenic Stop

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me they are the same price. For Jack, one is a little cheaper, but I can't remember off the top of my head which one. I had orginally planned on doing Coastal Highlights on my own, because I didn't think Jack would be that excited about it. So the Harbor Cruise is winning so far :goodvibes

Does anyone have reviews on these two excursions ? I have the coastal highlights booked as we wanted to do something on land, but would love to hear reviews about the harbor cruise too. Unfortunately I am not able to book both, the timings don't work out as we have the dolphin encounter also in our list.

Does anyone have reviews on these two excursions ? I have the coastal highlights booked as we wanted to do something on land, but would love to hear reviews about the harbor cruise too. Unfortunately I am not able to book both, the timings don't work out as we have the dolphin encounter also in our list.

I haven't found any yet... but I will post links here if i do!

Happy October 1st! I love October, but this year I love it even more since its our vacation month! We are just 28 days out and I will be working 23 of those 28 days :surfweb: This means I need to get organized and start packing SOON!

I have gone ahead and canceled the Coastal highlights tour. The Harbor cruise will be better for Jack I think. I can always go to Cabo the second day if I want to or I can lounge on the ship. We also got a lineup of activities...

Oct 30th- Sailaway
Oct 31st-Halloween festivities
Nov 1st- Formal night (and my Palo brunch)
Nov 2nd- Puerto Vallerta Beach Day
Nov 3rd- Cabo, Harbor Cruise, Pirate night
Nov 4th- Cabo, Semi Formal night
Nov 5th- last day
Nov 6th- arrive in LA and head to Disneyland!

I have started on my FE stuff, but I can't post pics because I want it to be a surprise for my fellow cruisers. I will post pictures of other stuff soon, Jack's pirate costume etc, cruise documents etc! It's getting so close! :yay:

I have been so neglectful of this poor PTR! The past couple of weeks have been ridiculously busy though, so I will definitely be ready for a vacation! I will go more in detail over the next few days ( I have 3 days off starting tomorrow!) but a couple quick changes and questions!

1. We canceled our second Disneyland day. We are now flying out the afternoon of the 7th. So now the question is do I attempt to see a little of each park or skip DCA all together?
2. I want to get the day pass to the rainforest room/spa. I don't really have a firm idea of what it includes, but I know you can prepurchase it for around $15 as a "gift". Does anyone know what is included and how much it costs on board?
3. Has anyone gone to the beach in PV as an excursion or on their own? I am leery of paying so much since if it's cold or rainy or something we won't want to spend the day at the beach. I just don't know how safe/easy it is to get there on our own since it's just me and Jack...

I will be back with more updates, movie night details, packing lists etc on Monday!

I have been so neglectful of this poor PTR! The past couple of weeks have been ridiculously busy though, so I will definitely be ready for a vacation! I will go more in detail over the next few days ( I have 3 days off starting tomorrow!) but a couple quick changes and questions!

1. We canceled our second Disneyland day. We are now flying out the afternoon of the 7th. So now the question is do I attempt to see a little of each park or skip DCA all together?
2. I want to get the day pass to the rainforest room/spa. I don't really have a firm idea of what it includes, but I know you can prepurchase it for around $15 as a "gift". Does anyone know what is included and how much it costs on board?
3. Has anyone gone to the beach in PV as an excursion or on their own? I am leery of paying so much since if it's cold or rainy or something we won't want to spend the day at the beach. I just don't know how safe/easy it is to get there on our own since it's just me and Jack...

I will be back with more updates, movie night details, packing lists etc on Monday!

Wow! Your trip is coming up super fast!

Is there anything specific you want to see at DCA? For me personally, I love going over to DCA. However, I think the majority of people would rather stay only at Disneyland and never hop over to DCA.

From what I've been reading on the boards about the Rainforest Room, is that you should buy the pass as soon as you get on board, since there are only so many passes allotted. I had read on another board that one couple paid $99 for the two of them for the length of their cruise (4 day) but that it was SO worth it. This is something i'm going to look into as well when we board.

Sorry, I can't help you with the PV question :goodvibes

I would skip DCA for this trip. The place is so messed up right now. The only new thing is the Little Mermaid ride and it's such a mess with barriers and other things that it's not really magical. Focus on Disneyland which is still really cool and there is plenty to do there. Come back in about a year to see DCA and it will be REALLY cool then!

Wow! Your trip is coming up super fast!

Is there anything specific you want to see at DCA? For me personally, I love going over to DCA. However, I think the majority of people would rather stay only at Disneyland and never hop over to DCA.

From what I've been reading on the boards about the Rainforest Room, is that you should buy the pass as soon as you get on board, since there are only so many passes allotted. I had read on another board that one couple paid $99 for the two of them for the length of their cruise (4 day) but that it was SO worth it. This is something i'm going to look into as well when we board.

Sorry, I can't help you with the PV question :goodvibes

The only reason I was still considering hopping was to be able to see WoC, but I don't want to feel like so rushed liek I HAVE to cut Disneyland time short to get there. Maybe we will just focus on Disneyland...

The day pass is only $15 when you pre buy it, so I was thinking about buying 1 and then seeing about buying 1 day while I was on the ship if I really like it. I've heard it's great too, just nothing really specific, except about the showers being awesome!

I would skip DCA for this trip. The place is so messed up right now. The only new thing is the Little Mermaid ride and it's such a mess with barriers and other things that it's not really magical. Focus on Disneyland which is still really cool and there is plenty to do there. Come back in about a year to see DCA and it will be REALLY cool then!

I think that's the way I'm leaning. I will be sad to miss WoC, but we'll see. Especially since there are no fireworks at Disneyland that night :confused3

There are fireworks at Disneyland...I think only certain days, but yes there are. I am reading a TR on another site where the couple arrived at night as the fireworks were going off...and again saw them another night as well.

There are fireworks at Disneyland...I think only certain days, but yes there are. I am reading a TR on another site where the couple arrived at night as the fireworks were going off...and again saw them another night as well.

They aren't scheduled either of the days we were planning on being there :confused3 DLR runs their fireworks a lot less frequently than WDW and the get canceled more frequently too. I remember going for my birthday when I turned 22 and the fireworks were canceled due to wind. I don't know if it's because it's a urban area so they have to be more careful?

I know, I know, I promised more updates, and once again, did not deliver. I had 3 days off and STILL didn't catch up on everything!! I did at the very least get some photos loaded into Shutterfly, which is half the battle! I am working the next 9 days in a row, which actually should help with updates since I tend to not do them at home. Then I have 2 days off (Friday and Saturday) before I leave on Sunday!!! I am so excited that I have those 2 days off now. I plan to send Jack to school on Friday and pack/clean (yep, haven't even started packing yet) and then Saturday finish cleaning and do a reverse trick or treating so Jack can see grandparents etc before we go. We have this clown costume in our family that I wore when I was little (5 or 6) and a couple cousins wore too, and now it's Jack's turn. I tried it on him the other day and it is almost too short. Yep, that's right, almost too short for my 3 1/2 year old... I wore it at 5... enough said. I will do one last update on Saturday with those pics. We are getting a call from Mickey to wish us a good trip on Saturday at 7, and then we will probably get to bed by 8 so we won't be wiped out the next day for traveling!

I completely understand you being busy!!! I still can't believe I haven't started my TR :sad2:

I really have to send your box soon! I can't believe you are leaving for your trip so soon!!! I remember when we were talking about how it was over 100 days until your trip -- and now IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!!

Time will really fly especially since you are working 9 days in a row!

Going back to catch up now!!!

I know, I know, I promised more updates, and once again, did not deliver. I had 3 days off and STILL didn't catch up on everything!! I did at the very least get some photos loaded into Shutterfly, which is half the battle! I am working the next 9 days in a row, which actually should help with updates since I tend to not do them at home. Then I have 2 days off (Friday and Saturday) before I leave on Sunday!!! I am so excited that I have those 2 days off now. I plan to send Jack to school on Friday and pack/clean (yep, haven't even started packing yet) and then Saturday finish cleaning and do a reverse trick or treating so Jack can see grandparents etc before we go. We have this clown costume in our family that I wore when I was little (5 or 6) and a couple cousins wore too, and now it's Jack's turn. I tried it on him the other day and it is almost too short. Yep, that's right, almost too short for my 3 1/2 year old... I wore it at 5... enough said. I will do one last update on Saturday with those pics. We are getting a call from Mickey to wish us a good trip on Saturday at 7, and then we will probably get to bed by 8 so we won't be wiped out the next day for traveling!

I'm falling behind on my own TR too. :sad2: Would rather read about everyone elses than update my own :lmao: You're trip is coming up super quick! :woohoo:

Everyone ready for a good chuckle? :lmao:

So I keep reading about all these people who have made Mickey tie dye shirts for their trips, and people who have bought them, and to be honest, tie dye has never really been my "thing". But I got to thinking about how we don't have t-shirts for this trip, since I made our other "We're Going to WDW" shirts for our WDW trips (and Jack's is so big it will probably fit him till he's 10). So then I started thinking about what we could wear for this trip, and I started thinking about all these other people and their tie dye shirts. So I figured, why not, I'd make some tie dye Mickey shirts, we could wear them for all our DCL trips (since I am already planning another) and if they turned out well I could make some for my family too (who will be joining us on our next DCL cruise). So off to Michael's I went...

They were having a sale on tshirts, 2 for $5. Then I started looking at dyes. I probably should have gone with a kit, but I wanted red and blue to be sort of DCL color themed, and the kits all had random colors. I spent a while looking at dyes, but eventually I settled on these:
ry%3D400

I had heard complaints that RIT dye wasn't as bright, but that was fine with me, I wasn't going for bright. I figured premade liquid would eliminate at least one step, and I would have plenty of left over dye for my family's shirts later.

This process was a 3 day process, since I didn't have time to start on it till late on evening. I printed out a Mickey outline, and a smaller one for Jack and traced them onto our shirts with pencil

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Then Jack and I headed upstairs to watch Spooky Buddies (not sure which was worse the movie or the stitching of the shirts... DO NOT let your children talk you into that movie...) while I got the dental floss going. Now let me say, I do not sew. I have many crafty ideas, but they mostly remain in my head because I'm not so good at the execution of these ideas. I have never in my life sewn anything. So I got started. First, my needle was too big, so I had to get a smaller one. Then the floss kept getting tangled. I started with mine. I was about halfway through when I realized I wasn't sure I was doing it right. I wasn't sure if I should be sewing over and under the traced line, or along it. I also didn't know what a basting stitch was. I refused to start over, so I did mine one way and Jack's the other.

Once you have them sewed up, you are supposed to pull the floss to make the Mickey pucker up.

ry%3D400

That's as far as I got the first day because I realized I didn't have any rubber bands...

Once I managed to pilfer some rubber bands from work, the process continued... You are supposed to wrap rubber bands around the base of the puckered Mickey. This is to keep dye from seeping into the Mickey head so you can dye it differently. Originally I was going to leave our white.

ry%3D400

Then according to some reports, you are supposed to soak the shirts in soda ash. I found a couple sets of instructionsthat just soaked them in water, and I decided rather than spending more $$, I would just go with water. Then you squeeze the water out, hold onto the Mickey and twist, until you end up with a shirt that looks like a danish.

Mid twisting
ry%3D400

Then you put rubber bands across the "danish shirt" to divide the sections for dye-ing. I had originally planned on leaving the Mickey head white so I had already saran wrapped it, but once I started with the dye, I decided to make Mickey blue. Also we don't have saran wrap, we have Press and Seal, so I used that.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Now I was ready for the "fun" part! I opened the bottle of dye and...
ry%3D400

It wasn't what I was expecting. I kinda thought there would be a little plastic thing with a hole in it for the dye to come out in a more controlled flow... but being a quick thinker (and not being willing to delay any more) I slapped some press and seal on the top, secured it with rubber bands, and poke a hole in it. NOW I was ready for the "fun" part!

One last look at a pristinely white shirt...
ry%3D400

I instantly knew this wasn't going to work right, but I plowed right on anyways. The dye wouldn't stay in it's section!!! It was dripping everywhere! Thank goodess we have a utility sink inour laundry room, I cannot even imagine what my mother would have done to me if I used her kitchen sink...

So anyways, dye is running all over the place and my hands are covered in it so I am leaving spots on the white sections and it's just a mess. But I learned from it and got it done and wrapped up and moved onto the second attempt. This time I did a much better job keeping control of it and keeping the dye in it's appropriate section and it was much easier. I got them both wrapped up and set them in the garage to sit overnight!

ry%3D400

The next evening, I unwrapped the first one and got started rinsing. I didn't think to take a picture before rinsing, but this is what it looked like after...
ry%3D400

So the part that confuses me is as I'm rinsing it out, the dye is running down the shirt and into other sections that were previosly white... my shirt is a better example.

Just unwrapped (and I am not sure where all the dye went since I used a ton and my shirt was mostly white...):
ry%3D400

After rinsing:
ry%3D400

It's mostly purple now??? I think oh well, I'm sure once I get done washing it 5 times like I read in the instructions, some sort of dye magic will occur and it will go back to looking like it did when I unwrapped it... right??? I will say that my Mickey head ( the one I did the "wrong" way) came out much better than Jack's though the more I rinsed his shirt, the more defined the Mickey became.

Anyways, I washed it 5 or 6 times in the washer, as I had read, with nothing else in the washer. Then I threw it in the dryer. I pulled them out and...

Mine:
ry%3D400

Jack's:
ry%3D400

So needless to say, we will NOT be wearing these. My Mickey is basically completely gone, with the exception of the pencil outline which survived intact. The whole thing is a faded dirty looking color.

Jack's actually looks the best, but that's not saying much.

I know there are several places I could have gone wrong, maybe the soda ash is actually vital, maybe I didn't let them sit long enough (instructions said 6 hours, I did it 24...) maybe when you rinse you have to say some magic spell?? Who knows, but it has reaffirmed for me that tie dye is indeed "not my thing". Hindsight being 20/20, I should have bought them on Etsy or something... :rolleyes1

:lmao: Oh my god Stephanie! I'm sorry, but those shirts look awful! Hahaha! Good try though...that's more than I would have done. We used to tie-dye shirts at camp when I worked at the Y and we always used the box of powder that you mix with water. We never really tried to do any specific design...just twists and rubber bands but they always came out much brighter than yours. I don't know what you could have done wrong. :confused3

If you are interested, I have 2 mickey tie-dye shirts I bought from Etsy from a wonderful seller. I'll give you the info if you'd like....

Back in the day, I did tydying, but never tried to make a shape like a Mickey head. I don't even remember what we did!

:lmao: Oh my god Stephanie! I'm sorry, but those shirts look awful! Hahaha! Good try though...that's more than I would have done. We used to tie-dye shirts at camp when I worked at the Y and we always used the box of powder that you mix with water. We never really tried to do any specific design...just twists and rubber bands but they always came out much brighter than yours. I don't know what you could have done wrong. :confused3

If you are interested, I have 2 mickey tie-dye shirts I bought from Etsy from a wonderful seller. I'll give you the info if you'd like....

I figured it wouldn't be bright, but it was much better before the rinsing and the washing... it just didn't hold the color or something, lol. I might consider buying some for our next DCL trip. I definitely won't be making them again!

Back in the day, I did tydying, but never tried to make a shape like a Mickey head. I don't even remember what we did!

Amazingly the Mickey head part was the easiest part! That at least turned out right!

I figured it wouldn't be bright, but it was much better before the rinsing and the washing... it just didn't hold the color or something, lol. I might consider buying some for our next DCL trip. I definitely won't be making them again!

Amazingly the Mickey head part was the easiest part! That at least turned out right!

3 Steps
1. Find stuff on the Creative DISigns board
2. Print on transfer paper (the hardest part is flipping the image if you use the stuff for light colours)
3. Iron onto shirts.

DONE custom shirts with no dye on your hands!

I have to agree with Nikki. :lmao:

I have been wanting to try this too. I don't have a clue what a basting stitch is either, which is one reason I haven't tried it...and them buying the dyes and ash stuff. I have hear not to use rit and tulip, but dharma (sp?) is the best. I figure by the time I buy it all and fool around wit hthe 10 attempts I would need to make it right, paying for them to be done is cheaper. :rotfl2: I did BUY the ones we had for the cruise. I LOVE them, but I want knew ones and have been thinking about giving it a try once again.....not sure if I will or not though.

Wow that sounded like a LOT of work!

I have to go with TinkLoverSam, and get a DISign off the boards...although your trip is coming up SUPER quick so not sure how much time you'll have left.

You got me hooked Stephanie! Dang you!
I started rereading tie dye posts last night and today I went and bought some cheap stuff to play around so I can hopefully get better and order the Dharma colors I like.
I think I know where you went wrong. Well some of it. it is VERY important to soak in soada Ash. That makes the color actually adhere, so with out it, it won't stick very long. Second, you used Michaels shirts...right. They are 50.50 cotton poly blend (I looked at some today). You have to have 100% cotton, or the ywon't stick as well and they wil lbe very dull in color.
So today, like I said, I got some dyes on clearance to play with. I bought a few things and also a hanky for $100. I just put die on it and we'll see what kind of mess it turns out like tomorrow. My worries...the Mickey head. I see very few who actually get a good nice shape. I'm sure mine will be a blob. :laughing: 2nd, when I wrapped the hanky into a danish, it was alike a little ball and I don't know if the dye got through very well. So I may have a lot of white when I unwrap it. And it is hard to control the color too. It's amazing how fast it seeps and bleeds.
I think you are also supposed to rinse first then unwrap. I'm gonna try that.
If I can get this al ldown, then my gola is to do a couple of pillowcases for Claire and my neices to have signed on our cruise next year...so I have a year to practice! :thumbsup2

But I may get too frustrated and give up before then. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter