We're docked at Costa Maya

Suzy Mouse

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=99009
WE're live here at the beautiful Costa Maya with the sun shine brilliantly above. Our booked excursion in the Jungle beach break. We'll be getting off the ship in about 1 hour. Our friends booked a beach/snorkel excursion (don't know the name) and when they went to their room last night they found out that it had been canceled....something about the tour cancelling it.

The cruise director told us that when we get to the pier there will be a 1 minute walk ashore with lots of shops.

Just wanted to post this thread for all questions for those coming here very shortly (all you 19th people :cool1: ) and anyone who has gone ashore today!

I'll be back later to answer any questions!!

Suzy Mouse-Thanks for the Costa Maya update!! We are on the 11/19/05 Magic and will be going to Costa Maya. Please let us know how you like your day today and if anyone is going to Tequila Beach. A bunch of Disers booked an excursion to Tequila Beach thru Mahalaj Tours (not sure of the spelling) for our Costa Maya day. Thanks!!

Moving to Trip Reports Forum to continue with the live report.

I thought of this as more informational than a live report...I wish I was moved!

WARNING***WARNING!!!

We did the Jungle beach excursion and was EXTREMELY disappointed!! When we were leaving the lady organinzing our excursion on board said it was the most beautiful beach ever. Then a side note was added "Don't know how Wilma left it". Well she left the beach water cloudy and difficult to walk into because of the rough bottom. There was an AWFUL smell of sulfur as well! The excursion came with free lunch and free drinks...free use of kayaks, and paddle boats. Well we thought that would be perfect for us and our kids. The drinks were discusting..the paddle boats were broken and the life preservers' buckles were broken too! 30 people walked on the beach and turned around right away. One woman complained that she will NEVER book a Disney cruise again!

I took the kids down a looooong pier which housed some dolphins at the end. There were loose and missing pieces of wood but we were determined to see the dolphins at the end. Wish I hadn't. It made me so sad to see them caged in there...poor things. WE made the loooong trek back to the beach praying we wouldn't break a piece of wood and fall in. We then discussed things and decided to leave. It had been a 1/2 hour trip to the beach....a 1/2 hour there and then the 30 minute trip back. DH went right to guest relations and complained. My children would have boiled in the sun because there was no way we were letting them go in the water. The excursion cost more over $200 and they are "looking into things" for us.

PS...on teh way back there was a woman from Carnival there. She paid a lot less than we did. THey did snorkling and said they say 1 fish and someone saw a lobster

No for what's there.....when you get off the ship there is a nice walk on the pier that takes you to a little shopping area. They do try to get you in there ..someon even said she was pulled in. In the little shopping area there are a lot of tours being run. One woman said they went to book a horse excursion and when she saw the horses she was extremely shocked at how thin they looked.

There is a pool in the shopping area...free....and a small beach as soon as you get off the ship. THis is free as well. There was a rocky area in the water but people were swimming there no problem.

I'll try to find out if anyone did the Tequilla beach. SInce we had an excursion through disney we didn't loo at anything else.

It will definitely be interesting to see if Disney changes this port. There were crew members off the ship (the headexcursion man couldn't be reached to complain because he was on shore). Many people complained..while I'm sure there were some who didn't.

My dh said next time....no excursions. Time to enjoy the ship while no one else is around!!

Thanks for the report....waiting for some report on tequila beach.......

This doesn't bode well for the area, does it? We booked the Beach Break party in Mahahual (it was like a $25.00 deposit...you must pay the balance in cash when you arrive). Has me re-thinking it all..... :(

Hi everyone! Just got back from the 11/5 Magic cruise. It was really great (aside from some challenging times from my 5 yo!).

I was searching so hard for info on Costa Maya before the cruise, so I thought I would report in. I went on the Chacobben Ruins excursion offered by the Magic. I think they did a fantastic job coming up with WONDERFUL guides for the tour - and that makes all the difference I think. Our guide Diane was part Mayan, and was actually the guide for the very first cruise ship tour to Chacobben a number of years ago. She was very, very knowledgable and made it fascinating. Her son was a guide for another group. So kudos to Disney for seeking out and procuring these people at the last minute like this.

I would say - bring small children at your own risk!! First, the guide talks the entire trip there, so all children must remain quiet, and it is not interesting to any young child. There is also nothing much to see out the window from the bus in the hour trip to the ruins.

Also, at the ruins there is very choppy, steep rock stairs to climb - NOT child friendly and a child could rather easily get hurt. The guide had heard that one small child sprained her wrist during our trip. So this is not something meant for young kids, though there were a few on our bus that went and they "behaved" and did very well. They allowed kids 5 and up to go. If you have a fidgety head-strong young one, my advise - don't do it!

As my child loved the kids club, and I was VERY impressed with it for the age group of my child anyway, I left him in their hands and went. I was a bit uncomfortable being out of touch for those hours, but it is a very controlled environment on the ship in the kids club for that age, and the counselors were wonderful, and he felt safe with them, so I really felt he was safe. Felt a bit guilty, but this ruins excursion made my trip (as I thought it would)!

Hope this helps some of you on the 11/19 sailing!!

Lampskies--Just letting you know that we did the Chaccoben Ruins tour on our own. We has to take a bus to Mahahaul (only $3 pp). Just before we got to the 'town', the driver asked if anyone wanted to stop at Tequilla Beach. No one stopped, but the beach looked beautiful. Lots of refreshment stands and some shopping there too. You could do this on your own for $5pp--$3 bus going, and $2 taxi returning. Hope this helps.

I will clue you all in now....to get to Mahahaul (sp?) by taxi, walk out the back side of the shopping center and go to the ticket booth against the shopping center wall to buy your ticket for a "taxi" then get in the line for the "taxi". It seems that you take a bus (taxi :confused3 ?) to the beach, and the little yellow taxis bring you back. Had we known this, we would have been to Mahahaul a half hour sooner. We did the ruins tour with Dave & Ivan (see the cruise critic website). It was good. DH would have enjoyed more time to shop and haggle at Mahahaul, but by time we finally got there it was time to leave for the tour and when we got back, the shops were starting to close up.

Suzy,
Sorry for the bad experience!!! Let us know how it all turns out.

I hope Head Excursion Man was out checking on the quality of the Disney-promoted excursions, and not on shore leave! Seems he should be on duty during excursion days!

Travelingmice, where you in the second group to arrive for Ivan's tour? We were on the first van, along with NJdad and family. The tour was one of the highlights of our trip.

Lauri

Lauri,

Yes we were on the second van. It was DH, DM, me and DS. We enjoyed the trip. I was somewhat worried since we were supposed to meet at 11:30 and by time we got of the boat is was after 11 and then by time we figured out the taxi situation we didn't get to Cat's Meow until 11:40. We did arrive at the same time as the other group that we rode over with. It was a very nice tour.

PoohJen...
The excursion director was very nice about the entire thing. We were refunded all of our money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter