We're definitely going - after quite a struggle.

Tony Toon

DIS Veteran
Yep - We're going 3rd July 2006. In fact we had booked our flights a month ago online and having already filled in the correct passenger names, to save time we used the autofill key (had never used it before) to fill in contact /address details etc. Unwittingly we had altered the passenger names by this computer override and as this info was now off the screen we didn't notice. We duly completed the booking only to be horrified to discover in the confirmation that we had booked all 4 seats in my wife's name, and the terms & conditions stated NO REFUNDS, NO ALTERATIONS. In something of a minor panic we contacted our agent who calmly said that he thought he could gain a positive response from the airline, United Airlines. Three days later the minor panic turned to utter dismay when he called to say that UA were happy to give a full refund ONLY if we rebooked the flight at the regular fare, which was twice the price. We were now faced with the alternatives of spending over £3.5K for the same seats or walking away at a cost of £1700.

We would have been happy to pay some kind of admin charge to change the names on the tickets or maybe accepting a refund allowing us to start over, but neither of these options seemed acceptable to the airline/agent with the agent seemingly bound by UA's conditions.

Cut to tuesday this week after lengthy correspondence and perseverance with both parties. I phoned UA again on Tuesday this week to be told that a no ties refund had finally been authorised but only for 3 tickets (the 4th name was correct therefore no refund was possible for that one). I argued that I couldn't understand that if 3 refunds had been authorised as an understandable error (partly mine I admitted) then surely the 4th must meet the same criteria. After a lengthy hold while discussion took place with a superior I was told to contact my agent again and ask them to contact UA once again. My understadable curiosity fell on deaf ears but I did as instructed and awaited the outcome.

The call came 40 minutes later, "United Airlines have agreed to change the names on the tickets for no charge." :Pinkbounc :bounce: :goodvibes :cool1: :banana:

You can imagine that moment when Mickey 2006 finally became a reality. I just had to immediately call my wife and daughter and apparently they caused quite a scene as they received the news, one at the end of a school day and the other at uni.

Thanks for reading. The morals of the story are 1. Careful with that autofill key! 2. Don't ever give up.

That's great news :cool1:
You can just imagine somebody at UA sitting at a computer and saying:

"Computer says noo!"

In his best Little Britain voice LOL

Excellent news. Pity they had to put you through so much heart ache. At least its sorted now.

I was trying to reply to your post about an hour ago and discovered that I couldn't get on to the boards so had to re-register. Am so glad your story had a happy ending. I am always wary of fill-in forms now since I managed to order two freezers from Iceland - but they were kind enough to phone me and query it.

Jan

That's good news - well done to UA for finally getting it srted. Hope you have a good trip :)

What a nightmare - glad it's all sorted

Spook said:
I was trying to reply to your post about an hour ago and discovered that I couldn't get on to the boards so had to re-register. Am so glad your story had a happy ending. I am always wary of fill-in forms now since I managed to order two freezers from Iceland - but they were kind enough to phone me and query it.

Jan

That's so funny. It's just easy to do isn't it! I'm one for thinking I'm computer literate , and can manage it all , but when the drying part of our washer dryer broke a couple of months ago, I ordered a new one online, it arrived, I got it working - how clever am I??!!! Except after the first wash, I go to put the dryer on and discover.....I've ordered the washer only version. Yikes!! We already had a working washer that we took to the tip. We had to sell the new washer, and start again. Doh.

Tony - I'm glad you got it all sorted! You're not alone!

Glad everything worked out in the end

done the same myself booked the wrong day of departure so we would be going for 10 nights not 14.Horror when you find out luckky for me cought it within seconds contacted travolcity who refunded our money straight away,no problems and they refunded the booking fee as well.now when i book flights i check,check then get DW to check then check then confirm :rotfl:
Paulh

the outher horror is when you get a flight at a great price you go througth everything and when you put in CC it`s declined.You panic while you phone CC while they ok transaction.all the time hoping price of flights hasent changed.Twice this has happend to us .Woodent bother me so much but when i phone them to tell them the dates will be in states using card they say why am i telling them our outher card provider thanks us for letting them now
Paulh

I can understand the reasons for not allowing passenger changes, but when it's clearly a mistake (how could your wife occupy all 4 seats?), then surely they're just being difficult? In fact, their systems shouldn't allow that particular scenario to happen - there should be an error message.

Pleased to hear that someone eventually managed to apply some common sense to the situation.

Oh for goodness sake did they need to put you through all that stress? :badpc:

There are times common sense should prevail and it did in the end :rolleyes1

How lovely you can look forward to your hols next year now :moped:

I didn't say in the original post (it was long enough!) but the reason we were in such a hurry to fill in the form was that there were initially 3 excellent fares available from Glasgow, £391, £402 and £431 when we first tried. Starting with the cheapest we watched the first two disappear in the time it took us to fill in the forms (you can just imagine the scene). Hence the haste - and yes - I was looking over the shoulder of my wife to check that all details were input correctly. :teeth:

Never mind - all's well that ends well. :goodvibes

Thanks for all your responses - as both DS & DD said last night independently, that's what they like about the disboards - you're all such nice people. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter