We're back from HRH/US/IOA *boo hoo*

threeboysmom

Living the dream - near Disney!
We just got back yesterday after spending 6 nights at the HRH and 5 days in the two parks. We had a BLAST!! After being Disney fanatics for the last 15 years, we have been sold on Universal. The rides are much more cool since my boys are getting older now. The theming at IOA blew me away - it was a feast for the eyes. The HRH was awesome - beautiful & great service. We ended up upgrading to a kids' suite since my DH needed to work late each night & I didn't want the kids being disturbed. We did have a $125 ent. rate for a garden-view room which was great, but ended up spending $250 a night for the suite, not so good!! I'm hoping my DH's company will pick up some of that. The suite was wonderful though - it's great having that privacy. The kids got their goody bags at check-in; also the fruit basket & newspaper (though we had to call to remind them). The maid left little goodies for the kids each night on their beds. The pool was awesome - my kids could have stayed there all day & been happy (well, not my 12 yo - all he wanted to do was ride MIB - he drove us crazy, but we won't get into that). They all loved the slide - 6 yo, 11 yo, & 12 yo. Under 48" needed to put on a life vest to ride the slide - no big deal for my 6 yo who is only 44". We spent 5 days in both parks enjoying each attraction over & over & over! Well................. except Dr. Doom for me. I did actually make it into the seat and buckled myself in, but then had a major anxiety attack & begged the attendant when he came around to get me off. I practically ran from that ride. I felt really bad because my 11 yo was really scared & we agreed to do it together & I left him there on the ride!! He was okay though & actually went on it again a few times with his brother. My 6 yo "tolerated" most of the rides - he's not big on thrills - he wasn't happy that we kept bringing him on Jurassic & Dudley over & over, but at least he didn't pitch a fit or cry about it. He was a good sport. After about 6 times riding Spiderman, he finally put on the 3D glasses and ended up loving this ride. We rode it probably at least 20 times. He even did Terminator twice - once without glasses & the second time with the glasses. I LOVED the Hulk coaster - that is the coolest coaster I've been on. My 6 yo's favorite was E.T., followed by Spiderman. My 11 yo's favorite was just about everything! My 12 yo's favorite by far was Men in Black (my DH's favorite too) - they must have rode it about 100 times. My son actually maxed out at 999,999 points!! My highest score was 424,000 - not bad for a 38 yo female - I was excited :)

We found Express/Room key wasn't really necessary on Mon. & Tues., but crowds began to build by Wed. (lots of school groups). and were awful on Thursday & especially Friday - we were LOVING our room key at that point!!

Restaurants we ate at were the Sunset Grill at the HRH (excellent filet mignon in red wine sauce), Nascar Cafe (average), NBA city (excellent meal! lots of good choices on menu), Motown Cafe (average). The rest of out eating were at fast food places & snacks.

I'd be glad to answer any questions. :)

Kimberly

LOL @ you leaving your 11 year old on Dr Doom and escaping!

That is too funny!

I have to agree... I love Disney - but Universal is way cool - we also love MIB, Jurassic, Hulk etc etc... we stayed at Royal Pacific last year for 5 nights and this year we are doing Hard Rock for 6 nights.

The kid suites look nice - glad your hubby could get some work done on holiday.

The park theming is excellent as you say in your report - but Shhhhhushhh! Don't make it sound too good or people might start going there and then it will be crowded!

Funny also about your son riding spiderman over and over without the glasses! Kids huh?

Thanx again for your report,

>>^..^<<

Welcome back!! threeboysmom - I have some questions please.

1) I assume you received the entertainment rate. Did you also receive the welcome gift with Loews? I did not know if they would do both. I have heard yes and no.

2) What are the goody bags at check in?

3) What are the goodies that the maids left? And is this because of the kids suite?

We will be there in 25 days. We are at HRH for 3nights and then onto Disney for 7 nights. I am looking forward to US/IOA more than Disney!!!!

Thank you for any information!!! Glad to hear you had a good time. It is always hard to go home!!!!!!

Hi We leave on May 28. We cannot wait have 14 year old and 9 year old. I booked the Kid suite. It was more than I wanted to spend but thought it would be nice to have the extra space.

Can you tell me some more about the room. Is it really worth the extra. How big is the bathroom. Do the Kids get extra stuff.
Is there a door between the rooms

Where did you eat breakfast. Did you rent a cabana if so which is the best one.

Meagensmom -

1) Yes, we booked the ent. rate. I showed them by Loew's card when I checked in & she asked which welcome gift I would like. The next day we hadn't received it yet, so I called and they brought it right up.

2) The goodie bags were cute - the bag itself was shaped like a handbag with an animal print - we got one zebra print, one leopard, and one tiger. Inside were an animal print sun visor, animal print sunglasses, & an animal print hackey-sack ball (big hit with my boys).

3) We called and requested turn-down service each night. That is when the maid would leave little goodies on the kids' beds. The first night they received animal-print, fuzzy pens. The next night was a glow wand (big hit!!), and the next was bracelets (boys were not thrilled with this one!). We forgot to call the next day so I don't know what the toy would have been, but the night after that, they began to repeat all over again so we got more pens.

Have fun - I am SO jealous!! It's so depressing waking up and realizing you're not in FL anymore :(

ksmith - The extra space was real nice!! The bathroom was separated into 2 parts by a door. The main bathroom had 2 sinks with lots of counter space, but no cabinets or drawers, and a decent sized shower. It was a good size with lots of room to move around. The adjoining bathroom was very small and had the toilet, another sink, and a tub/shower. The kids bedroom was on the other side of this bathroom with a door. The kids bedroom was really cute. In addition to the 2 twin beds (your 14 yo may complain that his feet hang off the edge of the bed - they're not that long), there was a table with 4 chairs, and an armoire with TV & I think a VCR. Also a bureau with 3 drawers.

The main bedroom was very nice - I loved lying in bed and looking at all the architectural designs - lots of curves instead of the usual straight lines. There is a double door separating the main bedroom and the kids' bedroom. What's nice is that the kids' bedroom is not near the hotel hallway at all so they don't hear all the noise of people on their way to the elevators and back. I'm always amazed how loud some people can be in the middle of the night.

We had a car so we drove to a Publix and stocked up on breakfast things. Otherwise, I don't know what we would have done. There wasn't much of a selection for quick breakfasts & everything was so expensive.

No, we didn't rent a cabana. We had 5-day passes so we spent each day at the park, and only used the pool for a couple of hours for a mid-day break.

You are going to love it!! Enjoy!

threeboysmom - Thanks you the information!! I do have one stupid question - how much do you tip to receive the turn down service? How far in advance do you have to call ahead? Thanks again. This is our first stay at US/IOA. We have always stayed at a Disney hotel and drove. We said never more. It is going to be fun. Thanks again!!!

Hi, can you tell me how far Publix is from the hotel and the directions? We will be there next Thursday. Thanks:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter