We're a POR family...will a Value Resort live up to our standards?

MommyBryn

DIS Veteran
We've been spoiled by our favorite resort for the last 4 times we've been to WDW- POR (we still call it Dixie Landings :goodvibes ). We loooove being near the water and being able to ride the boats to DTD at nights. LOVE that part. When we go again this Jan we may not be able to afford POR so we're looking at the value resorts. Will be be disappointed in anything? (not that the value resorts are bad, but we just love everything about POR) Anything we might like MORE at a value resort?

A few other questions...how much longer are most of the bus rides, since the value resorts are further away? And did I read right that they don't have restaraunts? Do they have a place for breakfast or something?

I hear you!!! JUST LOVE POR!!!!

We have NOT stayed value but many say it's fine for them. I understand there is NO restaurant but a food court. Usually 1 pool, not several and certainly no quiet pool.
Personally, we had to go to one of the Values for ME a few years back on way to AKL (we were the ONLY ones going to AKL and were told to go on this bus as they'd drop us, it was STRANGE) When our bus emptied at the value resort we were SHOCKED with the AMOUNT of people, screaming kids and just LINES (mind you it was Dec), It just "looked" crazy!
My family decided right then and there we'd not stay at a value, ever. Though honestly we'd never even thought too.
If we go, we stay at POR (our home away from home) or would try another resort instead.
Now, before everyone starts BASHING me, it is a PERSONAL choice, like I said, MANY stay value for various reasons and LIKE it too, perhaps to save some money, it just is not a "fit" for us.
Best of Luck!

I've stayed at both deluxes and values. I love the deluxes, but Pop is a great value resort. There are 3 pools and it's nicely kept. I'd say, if money is an issue, Pop is definitely great. I'm going for 2 weeks during free dining. It's only costing me $1500. FOR TWO WEEKS!

I stayed at POP last March and while it is fine for a quick trip I probably would'nt stay more than a few nights again. If you have small kids and dont mind alot of hustle and bustle than you will be fine. I just found it too noisy. The buses were always packed in like sardines and the walls were so thin I could hear EVERYTHING in the room next to me.:scared1: I like to step away from the crazy chaos of the parks and just could not relax at all at POP. So depending on whats important to you you mayt or may not be disappointed.:goodvibes

After staying at WL and POFQ, we tried a value for the suite (ASMusic Family Suite). While I can't comment on the size of a standard room (loved the suite and we are just a family of 4), the resort itself was great. It was January, so it wasn't packed. The pools are huge, so even though there were just two, it wasn't an issue. The food court is also huge and has plenty of choices. The grounds are festive. The buses were fine - All Star resorts only seemed to share buses when it didn't matter (at non-peak times). At peak times (mornings/evenings), ASMusic had a dedicated bus. DH commented that we waited for less time for buses at ASMusic than at WL the year before (both times in January).

My description - deluxes and mods try to transport you to a different time and place. Values don't try to do this - they are simply festive resorts.

ETA: We enjoyed ASMusic, and we do spend some time at the resort (we aren't just sleeping/showering/touring commando style people).

we've stayed Deluxe (Poly), Mods (Fort Wilderness cabin and PO French Quarter) and POP Century. We enjoyed all these resorts. If money was no object, I'd probably opt for the monorail resorts, just for the convenience factor...we also loved the POFQ layout & boat access to DTD.

But for a really cost-effective vacation, POP was just dandy. I would say rent a car if you can swing it, because we thought the bus service was lousy at POP. But there have been some posts indicating that the bus service everywhere at Disney was lousy while we were there because Disney transportation was implementing a new dispatching system and did not have the kinks ironed out...

We stayed at POP on our first two family trips and we loved it. Our next two trips we stayed at OKW and CSR. We all loved the POP on our first trips but after staying at a mod and DVC we really like the quiter more relaxing atmosphere that they had to offer. If we could only afford to go to WDW and stay at the POP I would go back to the POP but I would really prefer something other than a value resort.

After staying at WL and POFQ, we tried a value for the suite (ASMusic Family Suite). While I can't comment on the size of a standard room (loved the suite and we are just a family of 4), the resort itself was great. It was January, so it wasn't packed. The pools are huge, so even though there were just two, it wasn't an issue. The food court is also huge and has plenty of choices. The grounds are festive. The buses were fine - All Star resorts only seemed to share buses when it didn't matter (at non-peak times). At peak times (mornings/evenings), ASMusic had a dedicated bus. DH commented that we waited for less time for buses at ASMusic than at WL the year before (both times in January).

My description - deluxes and mods try to transport you to a different time and place. Values don't try to do this - they are simply festive resorts.

ETA: We enjoyed ASMusic, and we do spend some time at the resort (we aren't just sleeping/showering/touring commando style people).

Okay, TOTALLY hijacking, I'm so sorry OP. Just wanted to ask Elmo what the EMH were like in January? I saw that the parks close earlier, and wondered if they only kept them open an hour longer or more? We are thinking of ASMusic or POP since staying offsite at that time of year doesn't guarantee as much. The pools are heated well at WDW, can use the parks more, etc.

We are also a POR family, but went to visit a friend working at POP a couple years ago, and I was very impressed. I thought it would look tacky, but the the theming is so cool and my kids loved it. I would have no problem staying at a value if I needed to cut costs....esp. POP.:goodvibes

Are moderates better than value? Yes. Is going to WDW better than staying at home? Absolutely. Try ASMovies, I've stayed at all vaules except ASSports and found movies to be my favorite. There will be some likes and dislikes with any resort, but going value will save you some money. Again I'd rather go and stay in lesser accommodations than not go anytime, no brainer.

We have stayed at every moderate, and are working our way thru the deluxes, but had never stayed at a value. We decided to stay one night at POP before our package at the WL started last week. The resort was themed nice, but we thought the room was so small and generic. If I couldn't afford anything else, I would stay there again, but I much prefer the moderates and deluxes. They just seem to be more quiet and relaxing, and seem more like Disney to me. We did not use the buses from POP, but those huge lines scared me.

We love POFQ/POR; and, we typically always stay in a moderate. We've stayed at ASMusic and ASMovies when we traveled with other members of our family and/or friends.

To be honest, I was disappointed with the Value resorts. Our rooms were never as clean, and I just didn't fall in love with the atmosphere at either of them. Maybe we were just there at a bad time or had bad luck with our rooms, but I will avoid staying Value unless there's not another option.

But, as another poster said above, you're still at Disney. If your next trip budget only allows for a Value resort, sit down with your family and decide if you'd rather A) just be at Disney, so who cares where we stay or B) if you'd rather keep saving for longer to stay at your normal resort (POR.) It's all about perspective!

Thanks everyone! After reading these, I think we'll just suck it up and scrap up some more $$ to get to our beloved POR in Jan. (can't wait longer because we're going, for the first time ever, with 14 other family members!!) I figure this is going to be our last trip for years to come so we might as well make it something leaving us with no regrets.

I have stayed at All Stars, POP, POR, and OKW. Of course the moderate and DVC were great but I think POP is an outstanding value. I do not spend much time at the resort but enjoy visiting and dining at the others. POP busses are the most frequent.. usually a 10 minute wait with 20 minute the longest one time. On the other hand I had a 50 minute wait at POR for AK; bailed out because it didn't arrive so used another park bus. But I think every resort experiences that some time or other so it not worth focusing on. It is wonderful people can afford more expensive lodging but I think the values are amazing. POP has a great gift shop, the food court pleases most appetites and has yummy frozen coke, the bar had great pina coladas, the mousekeeping left adorable towel animals plus good music playing around the pools. Try to watch the nightly fireworks from Epcot that can be viewed lakeside. Oh and look for the turtles in water near bridge Just keep an open mind...so much to enjoy no matter what the cost...

We've been spoiled by our favorite resort for the last 4 times we've been to WDW- POR (we still call it Dixie Landings :goodvibes ). We loooove being near the water and being able to ride the boats to DTD at nights. LOVE that part. When we go again this Jan we may not be able to afford POR so we're looking at the value resorts. Will be be disappointed in anything? (not that the value resorts are bad, but we just love everything about POR) Anything we might like MORE at a value resort?

A few other questions...how much longer are most of the bus rides, since the value resorts are further away? And did I read right that they don't have restaraunts? Do they have a place for breakfast or something?

try pop. we have been to pop a few times now and love it. i love the way it feels in the south and figure that POR will fell that way this christmas.

All this debate sounds so like me and trying to decide between POP and POR:rotfl2: I love POR and I like POP:sad2: ,(money being a big factor in that:rolleyes1) and all we really do is sleep and swim at the resort . I would not mind paying the extra$ for POR but we do not take advantage of the resorts Beautful scenery for the for the extra$. I am trying to get my DS to pick POR to jutfy it:headache: , thats so bad! but thats what I have scoop to. My Brain and my hart are having a major battel before i put down our deposit, and I want both to win:sad2: some one is going to lose thanks for reading at least i have some were to vent:lmao:

Honestly, there is a good chance you will be disappointed in a value after staying at POR. The only value I would suggest would be POP because of its excellent food court, the bus system (and no sharing of buses) and the store. The three pools are also good to swim in, although they do not have a waterslide. They also do not provide pool towels, but they do have service carts near the elevators with tons of towels on them.

A value simply will not match up to POR though. They are not a nice, or as lush as POR. However, if you want to save money, like we did our last trip, then POP is the way to go!

Okay, TOTALLY hijacking, I'm so sorry OP. Just wanted to ask Elmo what the EMH were like in January? I saw that the parks close earlier, and wondered if they only kept them open an hour longer or more? We are thinking of ASMusic or POP since staying offsite at that time of year doesn't guarantee as much. The pools are heated well at WDW, can use the parks more, etc.

We didn't do EMH (morning or evening). We were plenty tired without it (we have children that are on the young side and still need the sleep). I think that the evening EMH are still 3 hours extra, even though the parks close early. My understanding is that they just tack on 3 hours no matter what time the park closes. I would check on that (maybe try the Touring Board?
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 )

In January, with the low crowds, we just didn't feel like we needed extra time for attractions. With short lines and a good touring plan, you can get a lot done even without EMH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter