Went too hard at MK yesterday...owwwww...need advice

I try to drink water and powerade and stay away from soda while I'm at WDW. Keeps me hydrated and replenishes some of the vitamins and minerals while I'm out and about!

I did that last year. Take some ibuprofen go to Epcot and try to hit things close to each other and see as many shows as you can. The Elen ride is good for a long break.
Just take it easy.

Moleskin. Get some moleskin and put it in your suitcase now.
I keep it and some of that wrap that sticks to itself. Forget the name, but they use it when you give blood. Anyway, I'll put the moleskin on backwards, so the soft side is against my skin and then put a layer of the wrap on to hold it on. That has saved me several times when I make the mistake of getting a pedicure to close to the trip. Can't go having those callous spots removed at trip time ever again.

THIS....OMG - I had a pedi on Tue amd left Fri...what was I thinking? I actually did bring moleskin with me, but "operator error" and it somehow all bunched up and caused blisters where I wasn't having problems. I am looking forward to work tomorrow only b/c I have a desk job!

Soak the feet and calves, massage them, roll the feet over something round or cylindrical.

I take my prescription ibuprofen (800mg every 4 hours) and then keep moving.

I hope no one unaccustomed to taking Ibu goes out and takes 800mg all of a sudden. :) If I take 2 200mg pills I'm "stoned". I took 800mgs post-op and they made me hallucinate. I was full-on out of it because of that dose. Not a good way to enjoy WDW.

So OP if you're not used to that high of a dose, be careful. :)

(also, you Aleve takers, be joyful you can take it. I'm allergic to it and can't ever take it again. If you find the full list of side effects, I'm just a stroke and a heart attack away from hitting all of the items on the list!)

My sensitivities are why I generally stick to arnica, both the gel/lotion/cream and the pellets. Awesome fabulous items!

I was a little surprised that nobody suggested a scooter until now. I would do the same thing if it were that bad. We were just there and walked
89 miles in 10 days!! We even had two days off where we went to Discovery Cove and spent the other at Disney Springs for a bit and went to dinner. I don't care who you are, 89 miles in 10 days is a lot. I'm used to walking too.

Just take your time at the park and enjoy the scenery. Sit and relax with a nice drink or two and have a few snacks. Take in some of the shows around World Showcase. My personal favorite is Mariachi Cobre in Mexico. Epcot is our favorite park. I could spend days there and just take my time enjoying each country and taking pictures. Have fun!! Hopefully the Ibuprofen and resting periodically will help the soreness.

For me the fix is....
  • heavy hydration
  • Creatine supplement
  • Ibuprofen
  • Foam roller (don't use on lower back)

On our CA parks trip last December, I made the (very dumb) mistake of wearing TOMS the first day we were in the parks. By late afternoon, my feet and lower legs were dying.....and I had many more days of commando walking to do (we went with friends who are park open to park close....and we try our best to keep up - which is foolish most of the time!). I changed out of the TOMS for the remainder of the trip, but the damage was done and by the time we were back at the airport to come home, I thought I had permanently injured myself (and was limping like nobody's business)! LOL Luckily I felt better over time after we got back, but my advice would be to really LISTEN to your feet and legs. Otherwise, it can make touring the parks super sad.

Soak your legs in a hot bath and load up on the ibuprofen and go. I bet they will recover pretty quickly today. Wear different shoes if you have them though.
I didn't read all the comments but the above one is exactly what I was gonna suggest. My first trip to Disney I made the huge mistake of wearing flip flops our first day. Worst. Mistake. Of. My. Life. My feet and legs hated me the next day. They hurt so bad. I was in tears cuz of the pain and how badly I wanted to go to the parks but my sweet husband calmed me down and told me to take a hot bath and take some ibuprofen. We had a little bit of a later start and I had to soak in the tub each morning fo a few days but it worked out fine. And now i learned my lesson and I always have tennis shoes. My feet can't handle sandals and flip flops all day long.

Here is the update! I was hurting like a rotten tooth but I took 1 Aleve and went to Epcot. I did almost 20k steps today!! I rode SE, Living with the Land, Soarin' twice, Test Track 3 times (gotta love that single rider line!!), Ellen Energy ride, Mexico ride, snacked all over the WS (OMG, the chilaquiles in Mexico...the best food I ever tasted at WDW), saw the Liberty singers and the American Adventure show, had some pastty, then my feet started being sad so I left. Thanks for all the support and advice!! You guys are awesome!!!

Last edited:
Do you have something you can roll over your calf muscles, and roll your foot on? It might help to loosen the muscles (more in your calf then your foot). If you can even just get your hands on a hard ball, or a bottle of some kind, just something that rolls. You'll have to really put pressure on it while you roll and it will hurt but it might help.

DON'T put a ton of pressure when doing massage! There should be a good hurt, but pain is your body telling you to stop. (I get lectured about using my rollers to hard all the time)

DON'T put a ton of pressure when doing massage! There should be a good hurt, but pain is your body telling you to stop. (I get lectured about using my rollers to hard all the time)

Well obviously you wouldn't put so much pressure that its excruciating pain or anything, but there does need to be pressure or you aren't doing anything effective. Just clarifying so no one reading my previous comment and then yours either uses too much pressure or not enough! :)

I sometimes pack an old plastic dishpan and Epsom salts to soak my feet while watching tv in the room. When I pack up to go home, I leave the old dishpan behind.

My advice as someone who works her legs a lot. Heat heat and heat. Take a warm soak, follow with stretching. Calve stretch-wearing sneakers, put one foot up against wall with heel on floor and the other leg slightly behind and push forward. Also toe pointing helps. I would also you a tennis ball on my arch, rolling it under the foot for message but that may be hard to come by there. Advil or Aleve and some cocktails later on in the day may help, hehe. Just remember you're at Disney and take the focus off the pain.

This is why I'm training with my 5 year old daughter. We're taking really long walks at home. She gets SUPER bored but I say, "Child, you will APPRECIATE this in November!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter