• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Went to Disney. Rode Nothing. Saw Nothing. Had a Great Time.

lemonpan

Mouseketeer
This past weekend, I was lucky enough to attend a work-related conference at WDW. The hubs and I decided to extend the trip. We needed a break from the NY cold and snow.

When we got there, I went to the conference and...my husband got sick. :-(

It wasn't anything serious, just one of those body aches, fatigue-type viruses that knock you out.

So...the day after the conference, he slept all day. I could have gone into the parks BUT I decided to just hang out on the grounds of the GF. I sat on the beach and read. I walked around the grounds. I enjoyed time in the lobby. We ordered room service. I did this for about three days.

And you know what? I had a great time.

We didn't get to ride 7DMT. (boo!) or do anything else I'd planned (more boo!). But, aside from him being sick, the trip was great. I enjoyed a side of Disney I normally would not have taken the time to do.

In fact, we are thinking of planning a non-park vacation at some point.

Oh, and a little service update. When I was there in Nov, the Disney service was more than a little bumpy. Not this time! Everything went really smoothly. My only complaint is that the GF gift shop doesn't open until 7:30 am. It would be GREAT if they offered a 24 hour shop/stand for pharmaceuticals like most standard hotels.

Glad you enjoyed your non park stay! I love hanging out at the resorts and soaking in all they have to offer! It's always a fun time.

Lovely to read a report where the plans went out the window and lemonade was found.

Glad you enjoyed your visit and also that you noticed an improvement in service since your last visit.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed non park days at AKL (not sure I could do three days without going stir crazy, but my DH could)

I love non-park days too! On our last trip we didn't go to a park for the first 4 days. We had a great time! The BF golfed, I strolled the resort. We stayed at SSR and it's big so there's a lot to see. It was beautiful. We enjoyed the beautiful weather by sitting on our balcony and just....talking! Chose some restaurants out of the park we hadn't been to, checked out DTD, visited some resorts we haven't stayed at yet. Great time! We actually returned from vacation relaxed. Can't say that always happened before :eek:

We plan to do a couple non-park days every visit now. My thought is, when you first do WDW, the parks are all it's about. The scheduling, the planning, the ADRS, the rides and the characters. If you go a few times, you get to see the other side that's just a magical princess:, and maybe, even a little more relaxing.

I remember taking my kids for the first time when they were 5 & 7 and all the wanted to do was swim at the hotel pool! Hilarious. The only character they even got excited about was Aladdin!

Every trip is different and I'm glad you got to see a new side.

Shhhh! Don't tell or more people will want to do this too!

Many don't understand how we can be at WDW for an entire week and only go to the parks one day. This is exactly why and we love it! My husband rarely even goes to the parks at all. In fact, I'm a little concerned about our upcoming trip. We arrive on a Monday and leave on that Friday. We have to do one day in the parks and will likely spend a day visiting Harry Potter. Not much time for just relaxing!

Just a FYI for future trips...the CMs at the Front Desk can get you anything you need from the shop after hours. We once needed some aspirin and they went in, got us a bottle and had it added to our hotel account.

Sounds like an amazing time. I don't have the self control to stay out of the parks, but we always make time for lots of down time at our resort. I just can't imagine not staying on site- The resort is as much a part of our vacation as the parks are! Your trip sounds heavenly!

The GF is the best resort to be at when someone gets sick. Hubby came down wit something similar a few years back when we were staying there. The Mousekeepers were so great, left me extra linens, towels, toiletries and toilet paper after I explained the situation. They seemed to be right on top of things back then. Hope that you don't come down with it and that he recovers quickly!

I have a non park 4 day holiday coming up. Looking forward to relaxing by the pool and walking thru DTD with my family in the evening

Oh that sounds so amazing! Paradoxically, though, I don't think I could ever plan such a day or whole trip. . . The magnetic lure of the parks would be too much for my feeble willpower! So glad you made lemonade out of your lemons as a PP said :)

. . . Coming home from WDW relaxed - what a concept!

Just a FYI for future trips...the CMs at the Front Desk can get you anything you need from the shop after hours. We once needed some aspirin and they went in, got us a bottle and had it added to our hotel account.
Hmm... I went to the concierge desk at 6:30 am and asked about it. The cast member told me that the shop opened at 7:30am. I asked if there was anything she could do/begged a little that we needed Advil, and she told me to check Gasparilla's, which had nothing.

That said, everything else was lovely. :-)

As our trips become more frequent, I am trying to slow down and take more time at the resorts. Unfortunately, between DH and me, we seem to get caught up in the rush of fitting in one more ride, or getting to another park for fireworks etc.... We are going in April for 3 nights at Universal followed by 3 nights Disney. I really want to relax more than we usually do!! If anyone wants to share ideas to help me not get caught up in the hustle, I'm all ears:)

We are doing two non-park days before a cruise at the end of April/beginning of May. DH and I have talked before about a resort only trip so this will be a good test for us. We are staying at POR and plan on taking the boat to Downtown Disney, visiting WL and AOA Resorts to stroll around the properties and probably take a bus to HS from our resort and then either walk the path or take the boat to the Swan and play mini golf at Fantasia. Honestly, with all the construction going on at the parks I truly think that seeing all those construction walls, etc., will disappoint. I know there is always something being refurbed but there seems to be so much going on at once that I think I'll wait for another time for visiting the parks.

Hmm... I went to the concierge desk at 6:30 am and asked about it. The cast member told me that the shop opened at 7:30am. I asked if there was anything she could do/begged a little that we needed Advil, and she told me to check Gasparilla's, which had nothing.

That said, everything else was lovely. :-)
Maybe this was a new CM. I was a fd CM and if the store was closed we could go in and get what a guest needed.

i always say i want to do more non park days but when i get there i get so excited that i just want to be in the parks. we are going for 11 days this time and hoping i can do one full no park day. we will see how it goes. we always stay at POFQ but i heard the pool at riverside is pretty awesome and would really like to check it out.

This is what I LOVE about Disney! I am a go go go vacationer, but my Hubby likes to sleep in, have a drink by the pool and head out at about oh 3pm... I hit rope drop while he sleeps in, and I get back to hotel take a cat nap and we go down a drink at the pool bar and head back to parks for the night. I would so BONKERS just sitting around all day, but my husband loves it. Disney is perfect because we can enjoy our vacations at our own pace.

We did this over an entire week during spring break one year. The crowds were crazy in the parks. Luckily we have bought non-expiring passes and spent the last six days doing relaxing fun stuff outside the parks. One of our best trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter