Went through SunPass by mistake

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
We drove down yesterday. Staying for the first time offsite at Hilton Orlando. Google Maps had us getting out of the FL turnpike at exit 255, consulate Dr. We got out, had plenty of coins/change for toll, but there wasn't a tollbooth, just a SunPass arch!i looked it up online and it says we'll get a violation in the mail to pay? Anyone has experience with this? Will I get a ticket, or just a request to pay the .78? Wondering if I need to use part of our vacation today to go to a SunPass location and sort this.

We accidentally drove thru as well a few years ago in a rental car. They take a picture of license plate somehow, notified rental co. and the rental car company charged the credit card on file. Not a big deal, I'm sure it happens all the time. If it were me (and it was), I would move on and enjoy the vacation.

We did this on our last trip. We got a statement in the mail a few weeks after we got home, including a picture of our car and license plate. After fees and such, I think it was 3 dollars and some change. Less than $5. I paid it online. I called them as soon as I got home and they said it happens all the time, not to worry about it just follow the instructions on the statement.

We also did this the first time we rented a car. We had declined the automatic toll option when we rented the car, but our rental car company activated the daily fee for using Sunpass for every day we had the car even through we only went through the automatic tolls once. You might want to double check your credit card statement went you get home to make sure that doesn't happen to you. I did have the total adjusted to just a one day charge (it was approximately $15) after many phone calls.

Happened to me a few years back.. those peskie tolls.. so much different than MA/NH

The rental company just charged the card. You live and you learn! :car:

We mailed them a check after we had to drive through once with a rental car when there was no one at the both and we didn't have any change. We never heard back after mailing the check. We included the date, time and location of the booth and the license plate number.

Thank you all. I knew I could count on Disers to know about this. I feel better that they'll just ask to pay the fee, and not send a ticket. Forgot to mention that we drove in our own car (not rental), so it will come directly to us.

We drove through one by accident with our Michigan car and did not get a bill or ticket. I asked a local who said they sometimes ignore the first offense. This trip, I ordered a sunpass transponder. I can turn it on and off and assign it to any vehicle I am driving in Florida by accessing my account online.

As a Floridian, when this all changed here it happened a lot... No biggie, they will mail you a bill, attach a $1 as a processing file and you're all square. Other parts of the state don't even have toll booths anymore, just sun pass lanes and they have the system streamlined, so don't worry, you'll be ok.

I did it accidentally last October. I was worried. Got a notice from rental car company they were billing me for the missed toll. No big deal but I'll try to pay closer attention.

My DH does this almost every time we drive down to FL. At least once a trip. I always expect to get something in the mail, but we never do. We drive our own car. Maybe this trip I'll look into the transponder...

We drove down yesterday. Staying for the first time offsite at Hilton Orlando. Google Maps had us getting out of the FL turnpike at exit 255, consulate Dr. We got out, had plenty of coins/change for toll, but there wasn't a tollbooth, just a SunPass arch!i looked it up online and it says we'll get a violation in the mail to pay? Anyone has experience with this? Will I get a ticket, or just a request to pay the .78? Wondering if I need to use part of our vacation today to go to a SunPass location and sort this.

Go on the Sun pass site and buy the mini transponder if you are likely to come back to Florida. It's $5-6 dollars.

You can load it with $10 for tolls.

I think for the missed toll when they billed me there was a $4.50 processing fee.

When I entered my new Sun Pass number, the toll reduced and the processing fee went away. A 75 cent toll reduced to maybe 51 cents or something like that.

I wish tolls around where I live here were so cheap....

If it is your one and only trip, probably cheaper to pay the toll and processing fee.

Go on the Sun pass site and buy the mini transponder if you are likely to come back to Florida. It's $5-6 dollars.

You can load it with $10 for tolls.

I think for the missed toll when they billed me there was a $4.50 processing fee.

When I entered my new Sun Pass number, the toll reduced and the processing fee went away. A 75 cent toll reduced to maybe 51 cents or something like that.

I wish tolls around where I live here were so cheap....

If it is your one and only trip, probably cheaper to pay the toll and processing fee.

Interesting. I was already thinking it would be worthwhile to get the SunPass transponder thingy just to avoid the lines. We have been going to FL about once a year. So, did they mail you the transponder?

Interesting. I was already thinking it would be worthwhile to get the SunPass transponder thingy just to avoid the lines. We have been going to FL about once a year. So, did they mail you the transponder?

I bought mine at the Florida Welcome Station on the way to Florida a couple of years ago, but you can buy the mini on the website.

It is $4.99 plus tax, then you load it with funds. I usually do $10.

The website says they mail it.

If you are still there in Florida, you can buy it at convenience stores such as a 7-11.

We mailed them a check after we had to drive through once with a rental car when there was no one at the both and we didn't have any change. We never heard back after mailing the check. We included the date, time and location of the booth and the license plate number.
It depends on the rental car agency. We wound up on an on-ramp accidentally with a 50-cent toll and no change driving a Hertz car. We tried to send the FL toll authority a check, but they returned it because Hertz has an agreement with them to read the licence plate and charge Hertz for the toll. I have not seen the charge come through, but they have the right to charge us $25 plus the 50-cent toll *sigh*.

I bought mine at the Florida Welcome Station on the way to Florida a couple of years ago, but you can buy the mini on the website.

If you are still there in Florida, you can buy it at convenience stores such as a 7-11.

I would do this - and have done it.

brought several for my brother and his family - they save you money and time.

think you can also get them at Publix (in Florida) grocery stores

Yes, they mail it. Even way up here to the frigid North. Took a couple of weeks to arrive in the mail. No extra charge even for international shipping.

We also used ours for parking at MCO when picking up the second half of our party. Way easy to get in and out of the parking garage.

I just ordered one. I hope it works this way. The directions on the website say to send a check or money order, but the application gives a fax number. So, I ordered one by sending a fax and including my Visa credit card info. Hopefully it gets here in 3-5 business days!

:) www.sunpass.com

I just ordered one. I hope it works this way. The directions on the website say to send a check or money order, but the application gives a fax number. So, I ordered one by sending a fax and including my Visa credit card info. Hopefully it gets here in 3-5 business days!

:) www.sunpass.com

I'll vouch for this as well - and just yesterday added some more to our account. It's great having the transponder and not having to worry about how we are going to get gouged. I mean, billed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter