Well...what did Charley do to WDW

Nink

Mouseketeer
The rest of us are sitting out here wondering what has happened at WDW......

:confused:

No major damage to the parks. Animal Kingdom sustained the most damage - fallen trees. If it didn't open by noon, it wasn't opening today. Magic Kingdom opened at 9, the others opened at 10. Crowds are light.

Power is out all around - but not at WDW (or Celebration).

1:30 p.m. - The afternoon rainstorm is coming! Think we'd catch a break!!! ;)

Had a relative there during the storm. He was amazed at how much damage was done in 45 minutes. He said he couldn't imagine what happened within the eye.

They just showed a demolished trailer in a trailer park.Next to it was one that looked virtually untouched. The reason: the standing unit was built after Andrew when higher standards were mandated. Prior units had to withstand 90 mph winds, newer ones 130 mph.

These are not my pictures just a couple of Links to websites that show some of the damage that Charley did to WDW.
All of the signs were tied down so they would not become projectiles and go crashing into other areas of the park. They were not damaged.

Our family was at WDW last week. We had a great time, and were able to get in a day on Saturday before leaving. Everything was open except for Animal Kingdom. We went to MGM and the Magic Kingdom, and the only noticeable differences from when we were there earlier in the week were (a) they only had 2 of the 4 elevators operating on Tower of Terror, (b) FastPass wasn't working at either park, and (c) the Monorails weren't taking passengers from the TTC to the MK that morning (it was working later in the day, however). I was very surprised that everything was working so well, because a lot of Orlando got creamed by the storm. Both airports were having big problems Saturday--so big, in fact, that our flight out of Sanford was cancelled and our rental car company waived our drop charge so we could drive all the way back from Orlando to our home in Louisville. But bottom line: everything was working pretty well at WDW the day after the storm.

I went back to work notice that Disney had many trees of different types have been blowned down, there has to be a few hundred trees that have to be cleared, many of the trees are on the sides of the roadways.

I flew into Orlando {MCO} airport from a trip to NJ on Sunday, the 15th. The airport had sustained some damage to the roof on one area of the terminal. The baggage carousels did not have power to the flight boards, so you could not tell which carousel your bags were on. Took about 45 minutes to find my bags. My DW picked me up and we spent the next two days at OKW. She said on the way to the airport, there was very little power in the area and most of the gas stations were not able to pump gas. When we checked in, we noticed that all of the Hess stations on property had lines that werre VERY long. {shades of 1973-4!} We found that people were coming onto the property from local areas to get gas. There were no problems with power at WDW. There were a LOT of downed trees all over the property, which many, many crews were working to clean up. There were a lot of Crape Myrtles blown out of the ground, but by Wednesday morning, they had uprighted most of them and added new guy wires to hold them in place. {Trees down here in Florida have rather shallow root systems} All in all, they did a great job in clearing everything off of the roadways. We saw no structural damage at all, just tons of tree limbs everywhere.

The Hess stations on site have gas prices below the area average. If these prices were maintained, there would be a lot of incentive for outsiders to come in.

I just came back sunday I saw that trees fell into a couple of the treehouses. I was flying south west saturday noon time bzzzzzzz wrong answer flight canceled due to airport damage but while waiting in line the wife heard some guy say it was a 5 hour yes five the number between 4 and 6 yup 5 hour drive to orlando from the BIG EASY new orlens. And there was a flight leaving in 45 miniuts cool made the flight all hapy got to see the mississippi river and the superdome cool was getting our baggage i ask a cop how long the drive is to orlando he said you can make it in about11 hours hua 11 hours yup man was i ready to kill sombody.but we got our rental car and made it in a little under 10. If you ever come across a guy from Philly area that says that orlando is 5 hours away from New Orlanes hold him i would love to chat with him. It was a very easy drive i was quite supriesed

Hasn't Hess been keeping the prices at a reasonable rate? We have been there dozens of times since they took over the service stations, and the prices are still good. I remember NEVER buying gas on property when Exxon had the stations. Their prices were always way out of line. Maybe Hess will be more reasonable about their pricing structure? We can hope....

We were there during the hurricane at the Poly. I was very impressed at how Disney handled it. Came around with notices and flashlights for all guests. They kept us updated throughout Friday the 13th day and night. The restaurants at the Poly were opened until early evening and and they offered a buffet at Kona. We were staying concierge and they seemed to have a little more at the evening offerings that night. The actual storm brought tons of rain and wind. The lights flickered a few times but we never lost power. The next day we went to Epcot and MK and we noticed lots of trees down, but the parks were in wonderful shape. I talked with a CM at the MK that night and she said that Disney was hit worse that the guests knew but they had crews working round the clock. One CM I talked to on the monorail told us that they had to report to work at 5 the next morning. Some CMS never made it home that night. Again I was very impressed at how Disney made everything "neat and pretty: for their guests. They are a fantasy world after all and no mention was made about the hurricane the next day. We were there for the next two weeks and drove outside WDW a few times and did notice much damage. It was a truly awful time for Florida and I hope and pray that everyone is OK now and did not suffer too much damage. It's amazing what can happen in an instant.

Now, we switch tracks: What will Frances do to WDW? It is on a direct path through the same east coast and central areas hit by Charley.......Time will tell.

No kidding, Frances is already rumored to be "the Big One" according to WESH.

Yea, they are saying the worst in over a hundred years. NOBODY knows what kind of havoc this thing will bring to Florida

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter