Well this is quite a meltdown

What's the Deal with Disney Managment

• These closings were the wrong thing to do and Disney MAnagment really is trying to weasel as much mo

• These moves were a mistake, but managment is trying to do the right things

• These were the right moves to make, But Disney is also trying to soak us for all we're worth

• These were the right moves and Disney has the best interests of the parks and the long term ahead of

Results are only viewable after voting.

YoHo

If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
I'm really really surprised by the explosion of negative posts. Not that Disney doesn't deserve it. I suspect they've made a mistake and cut the wrong things, but IT amayzes me how all of a sudden people believe the worst from the company.

So with all the newfound frustration and anger I have a new poll. (not even on the resorts board.

I just noticed on the attractions and planning bboard a note to come to the rumours board to find out about, well rumours.
I came real close to making a snide comment to the moderator about our sudden up in active posters, but didn't.

The point is, its not fair to most of our new (previously blissfully ignorant of our bizzare rituals and references) guests as they have no Idea which side you fall on. :):):)

I'm not sure I like the phrasings...

I definetly think that these specific cutbacks were the wrong ones to make so that leaves me with #1 or #2.

But before the recent events, I've felt that if management were given two options

a. profits increase 10%, but guest satisfaction goes down
b. profits increase 5%, but guest satisfaction goes up or remains constant

management would choose "a." That seems more like being "weasely" to me than trying to do the right thing and I don't know how much I believe that the whole managment team could do an about face overnight, so I went with #1.

But that doesn't mean I believe management is sitting around making nefarious plans to torture guests.

Well, That's why I erased my original wording (which included the word evil) and went with what I did.

Option 1 basically says profits and only profits over sound company practices and long temr thinking.

I'm in between 1 & 2. I believe the wording of #1 is a little strong, and the wording of #2 is a little weak. I went with 2, it's closer to how I am feeling.

PS Before the poll I did on the Attractions board got locked - it was 70% to 30% that the Company had made UNREASONABLE cuts this go 'round.

so, dscoop,
I take it you
1: Don't think they're doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.
2: Don't think they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.
3: Don't think they're doing the Right thing for the wrong reasons
4: Don't think they are doing the right thing for the right reasons.

I must say I'm at a loss. Perhaps I should have posted the question as I did just now. I didn't think it was possible for their to be a 5th answer.

They either made a good choice, or a bad choice and it was either done for the good of the company or the good of their pocketbooks. Please explain to me what options I missed?

Well if it means anything, 50% of the people think Disney has good intentions, 50% think bad intentions.

...you should post similar polls on the Theme Parks board, targeting the hours cuts specifically, and on the Resorts board, targeting the EE cut specifically.

I'll say it again; budget cuts in hard times are a business reality, but cutting those things that encourage people to stay on-site, when you're trying to _cure_ hemorrhaging bookings, just seems like slow suicide.

Jeff

Resorts and attractions seems to be trying to funnel this to here, so I thought I'd avoid the risks of getting the thread erased.

gcurling

I wouldn't doubt it.
You know the old saying" if the shoe fits, wear it"

5) Management is trying to do the right thing, but they are being terribly inept.

Yeah, that's my vote. They are trying to "save the company" but they are doing it wrong. Apparantly rather than try and generate business which takes a lot of work and is really a lot of trouble, they are going to get by with just the repeat customers. Unfortunately, the repeat customers are giving them the big rasberry.

I've always said and will say again - this is an excellent time to focus efforts on getting new customers. If the pie is shrinking, then I want a bigger slice. Disney management, on the other hand, is acting like they have to get by with the same percentage they always had. I say that if they want to survive then put the other guy out of business. No one ever won a war by staying in a bunker. Eventually, you have to step up and fight. I want to see Disney step up and fight for customers and you don't do that by cutbacks and cancellations. You do that by providing better experiences for your customers. Do I care that I can see everything in a couple of hours because there are less crowds? Not really, I go on vacation to have fun not to 'get things done'. If you are going to turn out the lights at 7, then don't charge me for electricity until midnight.

TTM1

My thought is that management is trying to do just that - manage. It's entirely possible that they might have even attempted to gauge what the reaction to various changes would be before they were implemented. But, for at least a segment of their guest demographic, they misfired.

I'll guess that it used to be, you (literally or figuratively) walked up to WDW, gave 'em a wad of money, and went in - or stayed a while. None of this fishing for special discount codes, wrangling for points programs, etc. Pay a la carte or buy a package - there you go.

Over the last (five? ten?) years, there's been an explosion of "Do Disney Cheap", "Kommando Kingdom", etc. books and websites, purporting (and fulfilling) the mission of getting the biggest bang for the buck.

Suppose mgmt saw that trend and figured, "They don't really need all the extra 'fluff' like sidewalk entertainment, or six shows a day. Hey, with drops in tourism, the ones that come are going to do the 'commando' routine to try and squeeze as much out of their stay as possible. So, they'll be satisfied with whatever they get."

It's not completely evil. It's along the lines of the aforementioned "10% profit increase with customer satisfaction decrease".

Catch is that goodwill is absolutely critical in the entertainment and tourism industry. Nobody NEEDS to be entertained - it's not like food, shelter, raiment (too poetic?). Maybe somebody lost sight of that important fact, and they might wind up with their figurative head on a platter soon, if goodwill keeps leaking out everywhere.

<end of incoherent rant>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter