Well...Looks like I will know tomorrow if my Dh's empl.will close Update post #14 SAD

mum4jenn

<font color=purple>My dd is the love of my life!!<
I have posted before about my Dh working at Cooper Tire. He has worked there since 1993 and they are proposing to close at least one of their US plants. There was a big meeting in Detroit today to make the final decision and they have called a meeting with all the employees for tomorrow morning. I don't know if I will get any sleep tonight or not.

Their hours have been drastically cut since Hurricane Ike and we have used all of our savings to keep the bills paid up until now. if they decide to close our plant I just don't know what in the world we will do. I do not make much money at all with my job as a lunchroom manager and there just are NOT any jobs around here. The help wanted ads here used to be several pages long and this past Sunday there were 3 ads total!!

I can't believe there are actually people who think there is nothing wrong with the economy.

Please say a prayer for us. Even though the decision has been made already, I just need a little HOPE.

I know the feeling. It's very scary to look at your field and know that there is very little that you can do with it. I have been out of work for six months now. (I refuse to count my three weeks back in the classroom as work.) You don't want pity. You want a friend. It's ok to be angry, sad and even scared.

I'm sure plenty of people will give you advice on what to cut but I'm going to say something that many will consider sacreligious. Here is the order of bills to be paid~Housing, food, medical. Credit cards can wait. You need to have a place to sleep, food to eat and be healthy.

As far as unemployment, if it does happen (I"m really hoping it doesn't.) remember that there is now emergency unemployment compensation. You can get through this. I never thought that we would be able to do it but we are doing it. In fact, we are doing pretty much the same as we were last year in terms of quality of life. I'm using the UE to pay off CC's so that when it runs we can make it one income.

You will get through this and you will be stronger for it.

Good luck. Its tough times all around these days.
I hope you get some good news.

Keeping you in my thoughts. My husband is on the retail end of the auto industry and we have lost about 2/3s of our income. Not fun nor pretty here in my house right now.
I am hoping that things get back on track for you starting with good news tomorrow.

I am with you. My job got cut to 1/2 pay and we cannoy live on that. There is no other work. Not sure what we are going to do I just can't think about it

Here in NJ, if your hours are cut more than 20%, you are eligible to collect unemployment for what you were cut while still working. So, for all those who have had cuts at work, please check your with your state, you may still be able to collect something.

I have posted before about my Dh working at Cooper Tire. He has worked there since 1993 and they are proposing to close at least one of their US plants. There was a big meeting in Detroit today to make the final decision and they have called a meeting with all the employees for tomorrow morning. I don't know if I will get any sleep tonight or not.

Their hours have been drastically cut since Hurricane Ike and we have used all of our savings to keep the bills paid up until now. if they decide to close our plant I just don't know what in the world we will do. I do not make much money at all with my job as a lunchroom manager and there just are NOT any jobs around here. The help wanted ads here used to be several pages long and this past Sunday there were 3 ads total!!

I can't believe there are actually people who think there is nothing wrong with the economy.

Please say a prayer for us. Even though the decision has been made already, I just need a little HOPE.

Just saw this and wanted to let you know your family will be in my thoughts today as I sprinkle some pixie dust on you :wizard: .
On a side note, if something does happen with DH, have him check out area colleges/schools for training programs. Also if DH is prior military have him look into Voc-Rehab. He needs to learn a new trade quickly. I know college might not be what you are thinking of at this point but the earlier he starts the better off ya'll will be. When the Ford plant closed here last June, our college had an incentive for those employees wanting to further their education. Just ask around, it can't hurt.

My DH took the buyout package in July and went back to school for skilled trades. He ended in November and hasn't found anything, even though the school promised him placement at the end of the $10,000 course.

Thankfully I'm a nurse and I can pick up shifts at the drop of a hat, but honestly, I'd rather be with the kids more. I guess I have to do what I have to do. He is convinced he'll have a job by mid-January though; although I have to wonder what type of fantasy world he is living in!

My DH took the buyout package in July and went back to school for skilled trades. He ended in November and hasn't found anything, even though the school promised him placement at the end of the $10,000 course.

Thankfully I'm a nurse and I can pick up shifts at the drop of a hat, but honestly, I'd rather be with the kids more. I guess I have to do what I have to do. He is convinced he'll have a job by mid-January though; although I have to wonder what type of fantasy world he is living in!

You know it is a tough economy :sad2: . I also help out in our career services department and I know a lot of times the resume can make or break you. If your DH hasn't already, have him take his resume to a 3rd party to review. The school should never promise they will place you. I know with us, we give you all the tools and resources you need (even set the interviews) but at that point you are on your own. Look into your DH doing an internship/externship in his line of work. That will get him field experience which is really what employers want to see. Here is some pixie dust for your family as well :wizard: .

UPDATE::scared:

I heard this morning that it WILL be our plant that will close. Dh let me know as soon as he found out and they just announced it on TV as well.

This sucks but at least we know now.

I'm in Tifton today and just heard the news and wanted to say how sorry I am and :hug: for you and your family.

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter