Well I'm off to Philly on Thurs morning! If anyone wants to....

Adrianna

Resident Sports Chick...Are YOU ready for some FOO
hook up while I'm there, PM me tonight or tomorrow and maybe we can have a little mini-meet somewhere and at least say hello. Wish me luck, I have a 6:30 a.m. flight out of Portland, yuk!! Thank GOD for Starbucks :p

So I won't be around for a while on the board, I know you're just crushed :teeth: - have fun and catch ya latah!

This morning they were even saying we'd have a nice weekend without rain! :teeth: Of course, that's likely to change by lunchtime. ;)

I hope you have a good time! Make sure you grab a cheese steak & a coupla pretzels. ;)

Have a great time and have a cheesesteak and a soft pretzel for me! I miss them terribly -- I'm from Allentown and my DH grew up in Springfield, PA (Delaware County). VAL

And I grew up in Glenolden and Folcroft, lived for a little while on Lincoln Avenue right off of Baltimore Pike in Springfield! :p

Get the heck outta here!!!! I lived in Springfield (Indian Rock Dr.) till I was about 6 or 7, then moved to Secane and grew up there. My parents still live there, that's where I'll be staying!! This is such a riot, it's so nice to have people know where the heck you're talking about when you say Secane or Springfield!

I eventually moved to Media and then West Chester, but holy crap I can't believe you guys know these places, AWESOME!!!

:)

Remember the old "Alpine Inn?" It's now called the Springfield Inn, isn't it?

Remember when the Kohl's store was "Clover?" Speaking of Clover, Springfield had a BIG Strawbridge and Clothier store right on the corner Baltimore Pike. I loved that store!

Remember the old Dick Barone Chevy dealer? Now it's called something else.

I used to love the "Village Porch" for ice cream, that was in that strip shopping center right before you'd get to the Springfield Mall on Baltimore Pike.

Ahhh...the memories of my old stomping grounds!

Havertown checking in to say the Village Porch is still operating. My Mom treats me to lunch there every so often!!!

Well, just talked to my DH and walked him down "memory land" thanks to you guys! He added these to the list --

Remember PLAYTOWN? He said it was an amusement park that was across the street from where Kohl's (Clover) is.

How about the PALM BEACH SWIM CLUB? He said it was at 420 and Baltimore Pike.

The BAZAAR -- he said it was the first mall around there and it was in Clifton Heights.

He said Dick Barone's Chevy dealership is now Rothrock's.

How about MARRA's PIZZA?

And the MEDIA TOWNE INN -- DH's parents have all of their special celebrations, wedding receptions, etc. there.

DH's 20th class reunion (13 years ago) was at the ALPINE INN.

DH used to work at Block Distributors and, as a teen, he worked at Cavalier Car Wash on Baltimore Pike. His parents live on Franklin Avenue in Springfield -- for about 50 years! DH graduated from Cardinal O'Hara HS and Temple University!

Boy, good times!! Glad to meet you guys! VAL

I take it you never visited the BAZAAR yourself, Val. It wasn't anything like a mall - at least to me. In MontCo we had the Montgomeryville Mart that was similar. Sort of like a farmer's market . . . very dirty, a bunch of stalls under one roof. It's where DH & his brothers used to spend their allowances. ;) They had the best "butter cakes" in the world, though!

Remember PLAYTOWN? He said it was an amusement park that was across the street from where Kohl's (Clover) is.

I do! I do! My mom would take my little brother and I there every now and then! It closed up in the early 1970's if I remember correctly! (maybe it was the late 1960's?)

Val, you certainly have brought back some long gone memories for me! I remember Block Distr. and Best--they were two similar operations.

I also remember the Bazaar! The best man in our wedding had a store in there called Sportsman's Corner and sold lots of Phillies/Eagles/76'ers/Flyers t-shirts, ballcaps, memorabilia, etc. The Bazaar was like the first mall that Delaware County had though. It was seedy and run down, but it always drew a crowd. MacDade Mall on MacDade Blvd. in Glenolden was Delaware County's first mall...then the Springfield Mall opened, and soon thereafter, the Granite Run Mall. I worked in Gimbles there right out of H.S. for a few months (1978.)

I remember the big theater near the Village Porch, wasn't it an "Eric" theater--now long gone! Saw lots of movies in there!

Don't remember the Palm Beach Swim Club at all though!

I totally remember the Alpine Inn, wasn't that like a motel or something? I think the Springfield Inn is still there, called Richetti's or something? Guess it's been a while :)

My mom and I used to go to Clover on Baltimore Pike all the time, my mom was heartbroken when it closed. She used to go to the S&C in Springfield Mall (or was it Granite Run?).

I remember Dick Barone too, my ex's brother used to work there! I think actually my parents bought their last couple cars there, but I can't remember what it's called nowadays.

This is so cool :teeth:

Originally posted by Blondie
Remember the old "Alpine Inn?" It's now called the Springfield Inn, isn't it?

Remember when the Kohl's store was "Clover?" Speaking of Clover, Springfield had a BIG Strawbridge and Clothier store right on the corner Baltimore Pike. I loved that store!

Remember the old Dick Barone Chevy dealer? Now it's called something else.

I used to love the "Village Porch" for ice cream, that was in that strip shopping center right before you'd get to the Springfield Mall on Baltimore Pike.

Ahhh...the memories of my old stomping grounds!

I remember passing the sign for the Palm Beach Swim Club - but don't remember where it was. :rolleyes:

Going out on a limb here - Do any of you remember which car dealer advertised that their cars were "creampuffs"? DH had a T-shirt from there with a "creampuff" on it when we first got married. Maybe it was a dealer in South Philly not Delaware county?

I totally remember the Alpine Inn, wasn't that like a motel or something? I think the Springfield Inn is still there, called Richetti's or something? Guess it's been a while

Yes, the Alpine Inn was/is a motel/restaurant/banquet hall, and you could also have wedding receptions there as well....my Mom and I looked into having my reception there, but went with The Log Cabin on Baltimore Pike (near Granite Run Mall) instead. It burned down many years ago. I think a car dealer is in it's place now.

That's right, the old Richetti's is now The Springfield Inn my SIL had her baby's christening reception there! Duh! The old Alpine Inn is now Christopher's!

Anyone remember the old Longhorn Restaurant that was way down Baltimore Pike as you were heading in the direction of Longwood Gardens?

How about the old Fireside Restaurant inSpringfield? DH's aunt, and my SIL were waitresses there for a while. We attended lots of wedding receptions there as well.

We used to love The Country House near the Franklin Mint. It's changed hands since we left the area, but they used to have great food!

Holy crap!! :) I remember the Log Cabin, I was there once probably in the late 80s, I remember it was nice.

OMG the Longhorn!!!!! I remember going there as a kid, I loved that place!!! I'll have to mention that to my parents when I'm there visiting, they'll get a kick out of that.

How about Luciani's (sp??) on Baltimore Pike?? It was an Italian place I went to when I was growing up, they had such good pizza!!!

I remember the Fireside and Country House!! I used to go to the Country House for dinner a lot with my boyfriend at the time, gosh that was probably back in the late 80's also.

This is such a trip, it's so nice to talk with people who know this stuff.

Do you remember the pretzel stand at the Bazarr??? They used to have the BEST pretzels!!!

Also, the Last Stand (hot dog stand) on MacDade Boulevard, I remember going there back when I went to Amosland Elementary, and last I checked a year ago, it was still there. Gotta love it!!

Originally posted by Blondie
Yes, the Alpine Inn was/is a motel/restaurant/banquet hall, and you could also have wedding receptions there as well....my Mom and I looked into having my reception there, but went with The Log Cabin on Baltimore Pike (near Granite Run Mall) instead. It burned down many years ago. I think a car dealer is in it's place now.

That's right, the old Richetti's is now The Springfield Inn my SIL had her baby's christening reception there! Duh! The old Alpine Inn is now Christopher's!

Anyone remember the old Longhorn Restaurant that was way down Baltimore Pike as you were heading in the direction of Longwood Gardens?

How about the old Fireside Restaurant inSpringfield? DH's aunt, and my SIL were waitresses there for a while. We attended lots of wedding receptions there as well.

We used to love The Country House near the Franklin Mint. It's changed hands since we left the area, but they used to have great food!

Hey, if it's one thing the Bazaar did right, it was their soft pretzels! The bakery there also had yum cheesecake and sticky buns!

Ever been to Nifty Fifties on the corner of MacDade Blvd and Kedron Ave./420? Great milkshakes there!

Remember the Jack in The Box at the same intersection?

One thing that Delaware County did right was their restaurants!

The Clam Tavern on MacDade Blvd, the Lamb Tavern near Cardinal O'Hara, The Trieste on Chester Pike, countless pizza places, etc.

Oooo...here's one for walking down memory lane...any of you girls attend the Bonner Mixers?

I never used to miss a Saturday night! Me and my glittery platform shoes! :eek:

Adrianna & Blondie -

I've been reading your posts to my DH and he's just going crazy too with all these memories. They're more familiar to him, though, as I'm from Allentown. I remember places like Dorney Park, Yocco's Hot Dogs, and the Allentown Fair.

I asked him the question about the car dealership with the "creampuffs", but it wasn't familiar to him, so maybe it was South Philly.

Adrianna, have a terrific trip! We'll be going up there (Allentown and Springfield) over Christmas this year. Not looking forward to the cold weather and possibly snow, but our DD17, who grew up here in Florida LOVES it! Of course, she's never had to DRIVE in it!

Talk to youse when youse get back! LOL VAL

P.S. Blondie -- just saw your post about Bonner. I think some of DH's nieces and nephews go there and/or Prendy (sp?). They're private schools, aren't they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter