• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Well I'd rather go to Paris...

hforman

Mouseketeer
It seems like every third person I tell that I'm going to Disney World responds with, "If I were going to spend that kind of money I'd go to Paris (Italy, Australia, etc.)"

Am I being overly sensitive or are non-Disney people smug? How am I supposed to answer that? "Boy, you sure are classier than I am!"

;)

I don't think they are being smug. We love Disney and have been to WDW more than 20 times as well as visited DL and DL Paris. We've also been to Paris twice. The cost to visit WDW can rival a trip to Europe if you stay on the premises at a deluxe hotel and eat at the TS restaurants. Of course you can do Disney much cheaper if you want. Honestly, as much as we love Disney and especially Epcot, there is a lot to be said about visiting other places as well. We've decided to space out our Disney trips so we can go other places before we retire, especially since there hasn't been a lot of new things outside of Fantasyland. Retirement for us may mean relocating to Florida for many reasons, one of which is minimizing our Disney costs so we can use our travel dollars elsewhere. Each person decides their travel priorities and one is not necessarily better than the other.

It feels like a criticism, though. The subtext always seems to be that it's a crass or commercial choice. I'm not knocking international travel, Greece is my dream trip. But it would cost way more than my Disney vacations. Maybe post-college payments I'll get there!

:) If you are willing to travel independently and off season, you can go to Europe on less than you might think. Our last 11 day trip to Paris probably cost us about $7500 in total for the two of us at a very central, wonderful hotel. We even upgraded our flights to extra leg room (hubby is 6'2"). Keep saving for your dream vacation to Greece. Don't take other's comments about Disney as criticism (even though for some it may be). Not everyone get's the Disney magic. Just smile and tell them that Disney is a big stress reliever for you and something you can do now. Your big trips will follow in due time. Enjoy!

It seems like every third person I tell that I'm going to Disney World responds with, "If I were going to spend that kind of money I'd go to Paris (Italy, Australia, etc.)"

Am I being overly sensitive or are non-Disney people smug? How am I supposed to answer that? ;)

"Oh, how fabulous?? Tell me all about it... when are you leaving? Where are you staying? How long will you be there??"

Then let them backpedal about how your vacation pales by comparison to the one they haven't planned.

Don't let anyone make you feel badly about the choices you've made for yourself and/or your family.

"Oh, how fabulous?? Tell me all about it... when are you leaving? Where are you staying? How long will you be there??"

Then let them backpedal about how your vacation pales by comparison to the one they haven't planned.

Don't let anyone make you feel badly about the choices you've made for yourself and/or your family.

thanks, that would be funny!

ha, the plane ticket to Paris alone costs more than my entire last trip to WDW.

Ditto. We ARE taking our kids to Paris this summer, and it's far more expensive than Disney. Even though we have a great deal on an apartment rental in Paris, that trip still far far exceeds the cost of our deluxe CL stays at Disney with two ADRs per day.

Ditto. We ARE taking our kids to Paris this summer, and it's far more expensive than Disney. Even though we have a great deal on an apartment rental in Paris, that trip still far far exceeds the cost of our deluxe CL stays at Disney with two ADRs per day.

Yes. We travel often and a trip to Paris far exceeds a cl deluxe dining disney trip! I agree with the plane tickets alone exceeding the cost of a disney trip.

When I told DH I wanted to go back to WDW, he offered a trip to Paris instead. I want to go back to Paris so much that when I watch movies or read books set there, I start crying. DH is very aware of this and was sure I'd take him up on a trip back to Europe. I still chose the return trip to WDW. My son is about to turn 11 and I can already tell that the days that he wants to spend touring theme parks with Mom are numbered. DD is 7, so I might squeeze in a few more trips with her, perhaps to DL Paris ;)

Perfect reply!

Eh, we love Disney! This will be our 3rd trip in 5 years to the World, with 2 previous trips to land many years ago when we lived in Nevada. Negative nancys don't bother me. It's my vacation, and my money. My husband wants to go to Disney, my teenager(and how often does that really happen?), wants to go to Disney, we are going. We don't cruise, and both my spouse and I grew up military brats, we have seen the country. Now as married folks and him in the Air Force, we were previously stationed in Italy, and have done a fair amount of European travel, at great reduced rates, to include visiting and touring the "real" Cinderella" castle in Germany.

People will always find a way to make you feel guilty for your choices. I am over it.

Have a great trip!!!

Try - "Just got back from Paris. It was a wonderful trip. We are now are going to Disney. " Or that is what I would say. My teenager is much more excited about the Disney Trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter