Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW *July 2013 Trip Report Link*

Loving it! Mark's comment about having his sunglasses on almost made me spit my coffee out on the computer screen this morning. Thanks for the laugh!:lmao: I have been known to say that when I have I left the lens cover on.:blush:

Your pictures so make me wish I knew how to swim. I know, I know, I need to schedule those classes!!

We also have an underwater camera, the Olympus TG-1. It was something we needed for our first trip to SAB. We can just float around the lazy river, camera in hand, and not worry at all.

So now, this just adds to our growing family of cameras we take on our trips. We also have a point-and-shoot (not waterproof) we bought a couple years ago, with lots of zoom and easy enough for Missy to use. It would be a back up camera. And of course the big DLSR.

He lifted the camera and said "There's something wrong with the camera! The screen is dark!"

:scared:

"Oh. I'm wearing sunglasses"

Lots of screens, not just camera screens, will blackout with polarized sunglasses. Either rotate the screen (or your head :rotfl2:) or tilt the screen.

Then there are people (like me) who try to use polarized sunglasses while looking through the viewfinder of a camera with a polarized filter... :cool1:

Loving it! Mark's comment about having his sunglasses on almost made me spit my coffee out on the computer screen this morning. Thanks for the laugh!:lmao: I have been known to say that when I have I left the lens cover on.:blush:

Your pictures so make me wish I knew how to swim. I know, I know, I need to schedule those classes!!

We had a few laughs about that during the trip!

I am just getting used to the whole lens cap thing, too. It takes me a minute to figure out why I can't see anything through the viewfinder.

We also have an underwater camera, the Olympus TG-1. It was something we needed for our first trip to SAB. We can just float around the lazy river, camera in hand, and not worry at all.

So now, this just adds to our growing family of cameras we take on our trips. We also have a point-and-shoot (not waterproof) we bought a couple years ago, with lots of zoom and easy enough for Missy to use. It would be a back up camera. And of course the big DLSR.

Lots of screens, not just camera screens, will blackout with polarized sunglasses. Either rotate the screen (or your head :rotfl2:) or tilt the screen.

Then there are people (like me) who try to use polarized sunglasses while looking through the viewfinder of a camera with a polarized filter... :cool1:

How do you like the Olympus? Because now I need a backup underwater camera.

I solemnly swear I won't bring it back to Mexico!!!

I keep gravitating towards Olympus- it was my first camera, and I love the outdoor shots, but the darn things keep leaking on me.

And I also had a really weird thing happen with one. The sound stopped recording with videos, but the sound recording files somehow became associated with the still pictures. You could click on a picture file and hear "Smile" "Move to the left"- Freaky!

So what does it look like when you are bi-polarized?

First off, I had to laugh at Mark's comment about the screen being dark and it was because he was wearing sunglasses. I may or may not have said something very very similar before. :rolleyes1

You guys hit the jackpot when it came to seeing the turtles and all of the various fish! I can't say that I blame you for taking so many pictures. I would have too! Well, I take that back, I probably would have jumped out of the water when I saw the eel. They look too much like a snake! :scared1:

Oooh, the fish pictures are better than the bird pics. (although I was afraid I was going to have to look at all of your turtle pics.)

The buried skate is definitely my favourite. :thumbsup2

He lifted the camera and said "There's something wrong with the camera! The screen is dark!"

:scared:

"Oh. I'm wearing sunglasses"

:rotfl2: That is something I would do! :rotfl2:

Wow - to all the under water critters you got to see and photograph. Those turtles are really cool. I admire you for knowing the names of all the fish! I'm impressed!

I realize I'm sooo slowwwww... this is where you have your Mexico trip!! How the heck do you know the names of all thos fish. I simply say, the blue/yellow guy, the stripey one, and the spotty dotty one! I love turtles! I look for the turtle that hangs out near the bridge in Epcot where you cross to go to World Showcase. We saw a kid spit in the water and the fish and turtle high tail it over there since they thought it was food being dropped. Funny and ick all at the same time. Anyhoo....what a fabulous trip!

First off, I had to laugh at Mark's comment about the screen being dark and it was because he was wearing sunglasses. I may or may not have said something very very similar before. :rolleyes1

You guys hit the jackpot when it came to seeing the turtles and all of the various fish! I can't say that I blame you for taking so many pictures. I would have too! Well, I take that back, I probably would have jumped out of the water when I saw the eel. They look too much like a snake! :scared1:

It was a classic moment!

And once again goes to show who doesn't spend enough time behind the camera- as if it takes that story to figure it out.

I was so excited to see that eel. I yelled out "Eel!" "Eel!" to try to get Mark over to see it. But underwater with a snorkel in my mouth, it sounded like

"ARGHUL!" "ARGHUL!"

and he missed it. :sad1:

Oh and PM me your address so I can send that cute little backsack to you!

I should not have commented that I liked it.

But I suspect that I am not going to win in a stubborness contest with you (there aren't many people who could best me there), so I will give you my address. And I will continue to promote the virtues of the string backsacks to anyone who will listen!

My backsack has, literally, revolutionized the way we carry stuff around Disney. And elsewhere!

Oooh, the fish pictures are better than the bird pics. (although I was afraid I was going to have to look at all of your turtle pics.)

The buried skate is definitely my favourite. :thumbsup2

I like the fish pictures better too!!! Although I do have a few more bird pictures to post- Did you see the teaser for the bonus track? The Land and Soarin'?

You are welcome that I restrained myself on posting the turtle pictures.

:rotfl2: That is something I would do! :rotfl2:

Wow - to all the under water critters you got to see and photograph. Those turtles are really cool. I admire you for knowing the names of all the fish! I'm impressed!

I did have a second or so of panic. This was after we lost the Olympus and the thought that my main camera was out of commission definitely made my heart skip a beat!

Mark and I have been avid snorkelers for over 20 years. Early on I purchased a couple of excellent field guides that I still use. Well, not actually field guides- they are not waterproof, but they are great for helping me identify the beautiful fish.

I realize I'm sooo slowwwww... this is where you have your Mexico trip!! How the heck do you know the names of all thos fish. I simply say, the blue/yellow guy, the stripey one, and the spotty dotty one! I love turtles! I look for the turtle that hangs out near the bridge in Epcot where you cross to go to World Showcase. We saw a kid spit in the water and the fish and turtle high tail it over there since they thought it was food being dropped. Funny and ick all at the same time. Anyhoo....what a fabulous trip!

:welcome:

As I mentioned above, I have a couple of excellent books to help me ID the fish and lots and lots of snorkeling experience.

But the observant reader may notice that I failed to identify the torpedo shaped fish in the second-to-last picture :confused3 and the grey fish in the last one (probably a chub)

I'll have to look for that turtle. I have seen one in the water out at the BC bus stop. Funny and Ick! :rotfl2:

If you haven't seen Lisa's Backsacks, here you go!

I have my eye on that first one- the orange world traveler fabric.

The one I am using now is the green, brown, leaf pattern, without the mouse emblem

I promise that a Disney installment is coming soon but I've had several people send me messages asking about my backsacks. The following are the ones that I already have made and are ready for sale. Sorry for the wrinkles in some, they do iron out and will be ironed before mailing.

I do take custom orders and would be glad to send pictures of the fabric that I have on hand or take questions from those who are asking for specific colors, initials, etc.

DSCF6841_zpsd1da6580.jpg

DSCF6842_zpsa3a91991.jpg

DSCF6843_zpsee193631.jpg

DSCF6844_zpsdb8c2834.jpg

DSCF6845_zps2b2cc56f.jpg

DSCF6846_zps5f5af425.jpg

DSCF6847_zpsd2dc08d0.jpg

DSCF6848_zps7a4e2373.jpg

DSCF6849_zps76df7520.jpg

DSCF6850_zpscc011947.jpg

I still need to do the stitching around the Mickey but it will be a color that blends in with the fabric:

DSCF6851_zps0548f631.jpg

DSCF6852_zpsd60de481.jpg

DSCF6853_zps98eb2ffc.jpg

DSCF6854_zps9952ff2b.jpg

DSCF6855_zpse9866de6.jpg

DSCF6856_zpsce4ab517.jpg

DSCF6857_zps2b8f7958.jpg

DSCF6858_zpsc08878c6.jpg

DSCF6859_zps0cfc83e7.jpg

DSCF6860_zps97690d1c.jpg

If you see anything that you like, shoot me a message and I'll give you more info!

How do you like the Olympus? Because now I need a backup underwater camera.

I solemnly swear I won't bring it back to Mexico!!!

I keep gravitating towards Olympus- it was my first camera, and I love the outdoor shots, but the darn things keep leaking on me.

And I also had a really weird thing happen with one. The sound stopped recording with videos, but the sound recording files somehow became associated with the still pictures. You could click on a picture file and hear "Smile" "Move to the left"- Freaky!

We have only used it the one time in the water, at SAB. I would basically swim with it, keeping the camera underwater, then bring it up to take a picture. Other times we have used it have been without water. I like the custom settings it has. It has 2 slots to recall setting you customized. As well as many automatic modes. That makes for easy transitions in and out of the water. Or from indoors to outdoors.

So what does it look like when you are bi-polarized?

It's usually big dark lines through the viewfinder. It depends on how the filter is rotated on the lens.

If you haven't seen Lisa's Backsacks, here you go!

I have my eye on that first one- the orange world traveler fabric.

The one I am using now is the green, brown, leaf pattern, without the mouse emblem

So now who is calling whom stubborn! :rotfl2: You didn't have to post my backsack pics but thank you for doing it! If anybody out there needs a backsack, PM me and we'll chat.

I got your address and the backsack is being mailed out tomorrow. The return address will be: OH STUBBORN ONE, It's My Way Or The Highway, Louisiana. :laughing:

We have only used it the one time in the water, at SAB. I would basically swim with it, keeping the camera underwater, then bring it up to take a picture. Other times we have used it have been without water. I like the custom settings it has. It has 2 slots to recall setting you customized. As well as many automatic modes. That makes for easy transitions in and out of the water. Or from indoors to outdoors.

It's usually big dark lines through the viewfinder. It depends on how the filter is rotated on the lens.

Thanks for the info on the camera. I'll be interested in seeing your snorkeling pictures in October.

I think all of the underwater camera instruction manuals instruct that you change out the seals every year, blah, blah, blah! But it probably costs around $100 to do that, 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of the camera to begin with.

I'm hoping my Lumix lasts. I have been very happy with the pictures under and above the water.

So now who is calling whom stubborn! :rotfl2: You didn't have to post my backsack pics but thank you for doing it! If anybody out there needs a backsack, PM me and we'll chat.

I got your address and the backsack is being mailed out tomorrow. The return address will be: OH STUBBORN ONE, It's My Way Or The Highway, Louisiana. :laughing:

:goodvibes

Thanks, Lisa!

You are a sweetie!

Turtles!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is supremely cool.

:rotfl: where cameras go to die. That's pretty funny, though not so that you go through them at that rate, expensive to have one plus a backup around.

Glad it was just the sunglasses.

Turtles!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is supremely cool.

:rotfl: where cameras go to die. That's pretty funny, though not so that you go through them at that rate, expensive to have one plus a backup around.

Glad it was just the sunglasses.

Thought you would like that about the turtles!!!

I'm not sure if this is a nesting beach, I don't think so and I have never seen nests marked, but a couple of times a year they do a release of baby turtles that guests can help with. That would be so incredible!

Yeah, the "camera graveyard" would be funny if it wasn't so expensive!!!

Thought you would like that about the turtles!!!

I'm not sure if this is a nesting beach, I don't think so and I have never seen nests marked, but a couple of times a year they do a release of baby turtles that guests can help with. That would be so incredible!

Yeah, the "camera graveyard" would be funny if it wasn't so expensive!!!

I did, we were just talking about Vero (which makes me think of Turtles) last night and today and thinking we'd love to own there if the dues weren't so horrendous. Swimming with the turtels though, that is so cool!

Catching up - I go away from boards for the end hockey season break....come back and you have already been on another adventure and sharing. Love it!

I did, we were just talking about Vero (which makes me think of Turtles) last night and today and thinking we'd love to own there if the dues weren't so horrendous. Swimming with the turtels though, that is so cool!

Your Vero Beach trip sounded like a lot of fun, and I especially liked your turtle walk.

Turtles are great-

Ninja Turtles
Pecan Turtles
Turtle Krawls

and of course, Real Turtles!

Catching up - I go away from boards for the end hockey season break....come back and you have already been on another adventure and sharing. Love it!

We have been very lucky in the travels we have been able to take over the past year. Some really spectacular trips!

And did you notice the shiny new tickers?

Finally returning to the Beach Club this summer. Unfortunately, I will just miss Robyn! She leaves the day before we arrive, I believe. You know that story!!!

Your underwater pics are truly stunning!!! I LOVE the turtles!!

I should have guessed your camera died. Lol

Thanks so much! I love taking pictures of the fish and other animals. Snorkeling with the turtles was one of the best experiences we have had in the water. Just awesome!!!

Yup. Another camera!

Bonus Nature Post- The Land and Soarin

"Wildlife abounds at the mighty Barceló"- as quoted by a member of the UBM board

First off- my apologies to anyone who is coming here expecting something completely different (and Disney-related). This Land and Soarin update pertains to critters that walk on the land and birds that are soarin in the sky.

The Barcelo is home to some interesting creatures. Around the resort are markers describing some of the animals you may see:

Coati

IMG_0172.jpg

We either saw one of these or an agouti, which is a large tail-less rodent. Kind of like a groundhog, but thinner. Yes, I think that is what we saw.

Iguanas

IMG_0155.jpg

P1130311.jpg

P1130318.jpg

P1140234.jpg

Brown Basilisk

P2170414.jpg

P1130904.jpg

P1130905.jpg

People have also seen deer and a raccoon-type animal (I forget the name right now)

There are also some animals that are brought to the resort by photographers and you can have your picture taken with them and then order a print. We havent done this because 1) it is pretty pricey and 2) Im not sure how well the animals are treated, so I dont want to contribute to the problem if there is one.

But it wont stop me from taking a picture:

Spider monkeys

P1130903.jpg

Macaws

P1130938.jpg

P1140208.jpg

One morning I saw a couple of men leading a small animal on a leash. As they approached, I held up my camera and was told No pictures! You can have your picture taken with him

Yeah...

Right!

P1130720.jpg

My kids think it is hilarious that I took contraband photos. Nate tried to get one of the leopard later that morning, but they told him no. Then when we saw animals, my boys would pretend to pose, and I would pretend to take pictures of them, to get the prohibited pictures!

In a prior post, I showed some of the birds we saw from the balcony in our room.

Out on the property, we saw some other impressive birds:

White Heron

P1130699.jpg

Gulls at the Pier at Fish Feeding Time

P1130806.jpg

Peg- this is a one-legged bird we saw out at the pier a couple of times.
Mark successfully fed her (or him) pieces of fish food

P1130701.jpg

P1130811.jpg

And my favorite tropical bird. When I see these birds I know I am in one of my happy places.

A funny bird the Peli-can
His beak holds more than his belli-can
He holds in his beak
Enough food for a week
I dont know how the heli-can.

P1130227.jpg

P1130425.jpg

P1140012.jpg

P1140013.jpg

P1140014.jpg

Next up: Time to Xplor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter