• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW *July 2013 Trip Report Link*

LOVE THAT!!!:rotfl: Every year we always try a few new restaurants. I think I love eating there more than anything else lol. I look forward to trying something new all the time. But this trip I think we only have one new one we haven't tried yet that we really want to- Via Napoli. The past 2 trips we said we were eating here but something always beat it. All the others are favorites that we just want to eat at. My parents will be with us too and a lot of the places will be new for them so I'm excited.
These are the ones I'm thinking: (not sure of which days yet)
Garden Grill
Rose & Crown- to watch Illuminations
Cali Grill
Sci-Fi (boys' favorite)
Via Napoli
Flying Fish or Kona (new)
Chefs de France

I replied to your PM
Deb :)

Just wanted to add that I love your line-up! We've been to every one of the restaurants on your list and enjoy each one for different reasons.

Your Via addition is great. We love the light, airy atmosphere (high ceilings, hardwood floors), friendly and efficient service, and the food (pizza, caprese salad and sangria are all quite good!) We have several different tastes and eating styles in our family of five, and everyone enjoys Via. I hope you love it as much as we do!

As for Flying Fish or Kona, they are different but both very good. We prefer Kona for lunch and Flying Fish for dinner, but maybe it just comes down to which location is more convenient that day. Good luck with your decision!

Hi Dee!

Just caught up on your report! First, we're another family with allergies, so our pet options are limited. But I must say that "Monster Energy Cat" is the best cat name EVER - especially when paired with a sweet cat named Oreo. Love it!

Wow - that transportation ordeal made me nervous just reading it. Ugh. And then the time on the plane - another ugh! Whenever we experience transportation difficulties, one of us always says, "Where's the Magical Express?" Now, I know ME has been imperfect for many, but we've always had great experiences with it and we don't like renting cars. So we always miss ME when we travel elsewhere.

Always sad to see a Dee Trip Report come to an end. You're reporting on Nassau in February, right?

The funny thing about the cat names is that Monster Energy Cat (male) is a sweet snugglebug who purrs like crazy and will fall asleep on your lap as you pet him. Oreo (female), on the other hand, is full of energy and is going to be trouble. She is beautiful, playful and curious and she is not as interested in us as her brother is.

Thanks for reading along!

You sometimes have to suffer through some travel nightmares and I guess I'm glad it was on the way home instead of on the way to our vacation. We love Magical Express! It certainly is better than our experience this year.

Yes, I'll be reporting on the Nassau/Atlantis trip. Not until April though! We don't have anything booked for February :scared1: (yet?). Let's see if we hold out. We have had January/Feb vacations since 2008 and it really helps us to mentally survive the New England winters knowing we have a tropical getaway.

As some of you (from the BC/YC thread) know, I will also be adding a ticker for June- I WILL be accompanying my teenager and his friends for his 8th grade class graduation trip to Disney. I don't think the trip will merit a Pre-trip report, since I won't be doing much of the planning.

Just wanted to add that I love your line-up! We've been to every one of the restaurants on your list and enjoy each one for different reasons.

Your Via addition is great. We love the light, airy atmosphere (high ceilings, hardwood floors), friendly and efficient service, and the food (pizza, caprese salad and sangria are all quite good!) We have several different tastes and eating styles in our family of five, and everyone enjoys Via. I hope you love it as much as we do!

As for Flying Fish or Kona, they are different but both very good. We prefer Kona for lunch and Flying Fish for dinner, but maybe it just comes down to which location is more convenient that day. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks!! I really do get way too excited about eating there.
We have done FF for dinner in August and it was excellent!! So I think DH will wanna go back. Tues. makes 180 days yay!:cool1:

The funny thing about the cat names is that Monster Energy Cat (male) is a sweet snugglebug who purrs like crazy and will fall asleep on your lap as you pet him. Oreo (female), on the other hand, is full of energy and is going to be trouble. She is beautiful, playful and curious and she is not as interested in us as her brother is.

Thanks for reading along!

You sometimes have to suffer through some travel nightmares and I guess I'm glad it was on the way home instead of on the way to our vacation. We love Magical Express! It certainly is better than our experience this year.

Yes, I'll be reporting on the Nassau/Atlantis trip. Not until April though! We don't have anything booked for February :scared1: (yet?). Let's see if we hold out. We have had January/Feb vacations since 2008 and it really helps us to mentally survive the New England winters knowing we have a tropical getaway.

As some of you (from the BC/YC thread) know, I will also be adding a ticker for June- I WILL be accompanying my teenager and his friends for his 8th grade class graduation trip to Disney. I don't think the trip will merit a Pre-trip report, since I won't be doing much of the planning.

Glad to hear you decided to go. That will be so fun! I would love to hear all about it when you get back. So interested on what they do on a school trip, ya know?
Are you going to Nassau for April vacation?

Glad to hear you decided to go. That will be so fun! I would love to hear all about it when you get back. So interested on what they do on a school trip, ya know?
Are you going to Nassau for April vacation?

I was always planning on going. Nate would go back and forth about wanting me there, but finally I said, "I'm going!" I've gone on most of the other field trips, I want to watch him enjoying this one. And I'm good at this! And a lot of his friends' parents are glad that I am going.

I will definitely do a report on the Disney trip!

Yes, we are going to Nassau for April vacation (5 nights). We are staying at the Comfort Suites across from Atlantis and have full privileges for Atlantis. Much cheaper! We stayed at Atlantis (Beach Towers) in February 2009. Great trip, but it was a little cool in February.

I was always planning on going. Nate would go back and forth about wanting me there, but finally I said, "I'm going!" I've gone on most of the other field trips, I want to watch him enjoying this one. And I'm good at this! And a lot of his friends' parents are glad that I am going.

I will definitely do a report on the Disney trip!

Yes, we are going to Nassau for April vacation (5 nights). We are staying at the Comfort Suites across from Atlantis and have full privileges for Atlantis. Much cheaper! We stayed at Atlantis (Beach Towers) in February 2009. Great trip, but it was a little cool in February.

Sounds like you have 2 great trips coming up!! I'm so jealous about Atlantis. Maybe 2013.

Thank you!!! I was going to post pictures over on your PTR because I consider that the "way too cute" animal thread! Already trying to figure out how to dress up the kitties for Christmas.

They haven't met the gerbils yet.

Maybe a picture of all four of them. "Meow-y Kiss-Mouse"

Definitely post them on my PTR!! If you DO make that Christmas card, you HAVE TO post it!!!!

What a wait at the airport!! I know what you mean- I can't usually sleep on the plane, either, no matter how tired I am!
I'm sad your TR is over.

Definitely post them on my PTR!! If you DO make that Christmas card, you HAVE TO post it!!!!

The kitties just met the gerbils yesterday. Oreo is fascinated by them and will sit behind the aquarium and pace around it. The gerbils don't seem all that concerned. Yet.

I have a couple of pictures of the encounters.

What a wait at the airport!! I know what you mean- I can't usually sleep on the plane, either, no matter how tired I am!
I'm sad your TR is over.

Never been able to sleep on a plane! One red eye trip to London, I had been up for about 24 straight hours, and still couldn't sleep. I'm glad my boys can sleep on a plane and in moving vehicles, though.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the report!

scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg

And some assorted additional tidbits for Universal Newbies:

Places to check for discount tickets before you go: AAA, Undercover Tourist (Mousesavers), Costco, Theme park websites online (Sea World)

Bonine- we found this was a good, non drowsy way to combat motion sickness.

Transportation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2494908

Ollivander's is the show, the Owl Post is the wand shop. You can access the Owl Post via Dervish & Banges, which can have a line to enter but according to posters on the DIS, they have never seen this line longer than a 10-minute wait.

Making the Most of Hogwarts Castle and Forbidden Journey:

Try to use the regular queue for Forbidden Journey at least once- you will see all of the parts of the castle that way. Early in the morning would be best for this.

Then you can use the Single Rider Line to ride Forbidden Journey quickly. If you have children, parents can "sandwich" them. Adult first, then kids, then another Adult, so someone will be waiting for them at the exit. I believe the entrance to the SRL is across from the locker entrance, but just ask a Team Member to direct you.

To explore the castle at your own pace, you can use the Castle Tour line. You see almost everything, but to see the Sorting Hat, you need to go in the regular Forbidden Journey line.

Beverages in Hogsmeade:

You won't find soda in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (per orders of J.K. Rowling)

There are some other interesting beverages though:

Butterbeer, of course. We prefer the frozen.

Pumpkin Juice, on draft or in a souvenir bottle. We prefer the draft.

We didn't try the apple or pear cider.

* Important Note: You can use your AAA card for a discount on drinks in the Hogs Head Inn or The 3 Broomsticks, but not at the carts. You will probably encounter a shorter wait at the Hogs Head than you will at the carts *

scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg

And some assorted additional tidbits for Universal Newbies:

Places to check for discount tickets before you go: AAA, Undercover Tourist (Mousesavers), Costco, Theme park websites online (Sea World)

Bonine- we found this was a good, non drowsy way to combat motion sickness.

Transportation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2494908

Ollivander's is the show, the Owl Post is the wand shop. You can access the Owl Post via Dervish & Banges, which can have a line to enter but according to posters on the DIS, they have never seen this line longer than a 10-minute wait.

Making the Most of Hogwarts Castle and Forbidden Journey:

Try to use the regular queue for Forbidden Journey at least once- you will see all of the parts of the castle that way. Early in the morning would be best for this.

Then you can use the Single Rider Line to ride Forbidden Journey quickly. If you have children, parents can "sandwich" them. Adult first, then kids, then another Adult, so someone will be waiting for them at the exit. I believe the entrance to the SRL is across from the locker entrance, but just ask a Team Member to direct you.

To explore the castle at your own pace, you can use the Castle Tour line. You see almost everything, but to see the Sorting Hat, you need to go in the regular Forbidden Journey line.

Beverages in Hogsmeade:

You won't find soda in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (per orders of J.K. Rowling)

There are some other interesting beverages though:

Butterbeer, of course. We prefer the frozen.

Pumpkin Juice, on draft or in a souvenir bottle. We prefer the draft.

We didn't try the apple or pear cider.

* Important Note: You can use your AAA card for a discount on drinks in the Hogs Head Inn or The 3 Broomsticks, but not at the carts. You will probably encounter a shorter wait at the Hogs Head than you will at the carts *

Great tips Dee!!
Especially the staying on site! Our friends are thinking of doing the Disney/Uni/IOA trip next year and I told them to def. stay on site before transferring to Disney resort WELL WORTH it!!:thumbsup2
SRL are really great too! As DS14 found out when he rode Spidey like 6x in a row!
Did I say how sad I was that your TR was over? :sad1:

Great tips Dee!!
Especially the staying on site! Our friends are thinking of doing the Disney/Uni/IOA trip next year and I told them to def. stay on site before transferring to Disney resort WELL WORTH it!!:thumbsup2
SRL are really great too! As DS14 found out when he rode Spidey like 6x in a row!
Did I say how sad I was that your TR was over? :sad1:

Thank you! The staying on site, if you can manage it, is really great.

We only did the SRL once, when Nate and I rode FJ. With the express pass we didn't really need it, but we probably would have enjoyed FJ a few more times if we had thought to use it.

I think you have mentioned that you will miss this TR. :sad1: That's very sweet! Thanks, again!

Dee, just wanted to thank you again for emailing me the top tens before our trip this past August. We had a great time, and applied 1 - 4, the most important of the tips! Tip 10 is also excellent and I kept forgetting to do this, and therefore missed out on many discounts. You guys are very impressive in your technique, so I hope you keep the reports coming!

We have 3 day Costco Universal tickets squirreled away and can't wait to go back to Universal in a year or two. And I may be doing an adults-only birthday trip next fall, hopefully staying at the Beach Club, so you may be hearing from me again (fingers crossed).

When is your ADR day??? Have you seen these postings on the Restaurant boards?

If your 180 are today. Call. Don't go online: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2819059

I missed your post the other day.
I have been doing my ADRs w/ no problems :thumbsup2
I did check out that thread and some people were having problems others not I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!;)
I need to do my ADRs one at a time each day a new one b/c I'm staying off property- but even with having to do that I've got all the times I want :banana:
Thanks for giving me the heads up though!!!

Dee, just wanted to thank you again for emailing me the top tens before our trip this past August. We had a great time, and applied 1 - 4, the most important of the tips! Tip 10 is also excellent and I kept forgetting to do this, and therefore missed out on many discounts. You guys are very impressive in your technique, so I hope you keep the reports coming!

We have 3 day Costco Universal tickets squirreled away and can't wait to go back to Universal in a year or two. And I may be doing an adults-only birthday trip next fall, hopefully staying at the Beach Club, so you may be hearing from me again (fingers crossed).

You are welcome. Thanks for checking in. Glad to hear that you were able to use the tips and that you had a great trip.

There were a few times we forgot to ask for the AAA discount and it REALLY annoyed me!!! I think once I even went back and had them ring in our order again (much to my husband's embarassment)

I'm not a Costco member, but those tickets sound like a really good deal, especially since they don't expire for a few years.

Oh, I hope you book at the Beach Club- make sure you check out the FAQ thread if you do. A really great, helpful group of posters.

I missed your post the other day.
I have been doing my ADRs w/ no problems :thumbsup2
I did check out that thread and some people were having problems others not I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!;)
I need to do my ADRs one at a time each day a new one b/c I'm staying off property- but even with having to do that I've got all the times I want :banana:
Thanks for giving me the heads up though!!!

That's great that you are getting your reservations. I keep forgetting about the one-a-day for offsite guests. Let us know your lineup when you are done.

I'm bummed that I won't be making reservations for the class trip in June- I think we get vouchers for counter service meals. And I will be letting the kids pick where they want to eat. I'm hoping Nate will take the planning lead for our group. I have already quizzed him about where we should eat in each park- and I was pleased with his answers:

MK- Pecos Bill or Columbia Harbor House
EP- Sunshine Seasons (or lunch around the world)
AK- Tamu Tamu
HS- He didn't have an answer for this one.

We haven't really had counterservice meals at this park, but I hear good things about Starring Rolls. I think the giant sandwiches and even gianter cupcakes would please 13-14 year olds!

Well if that just ain't the crappiest way to end vacation :headache:

But, looking on the bright side (as I usually do), at least that storm was not DURING one of your vacation days. If it's GOTTA rain like that, I guess that was the best time to do it!

Glad you had a good time at Universal. A lot of people compare the two and...well, it can just get ugly :sad2:

Sorry to see your vacation end, but no doubt next one is in the works :teeth:

Thanx for sharing your vacation with us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter