• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...to an October 2011 PTR! *Trip Report link is up, pg 71!!*

I'm so excited about AKL! Have you stayed there before?

I almost wish my trip was a little longer, it seems like there is just so much to do in such a short time! :laughing:

We haven't stayed at AKL yet no, we did book our honeymoon resort there. But after weighing up the pros and cons after staying at the Poly we switched to the Poly.

Its an amazing resort and being able to walk out and see the animals is v cool and the theming is gorgeous as well as having Boma on your doorstep :)

Feel free to share with us how you are getting on with your weight loss programme. It is hard at times and frustrating I know, but don't push yourself too hard or get down on yourself. If you don't get make your target but still lost weight in the process that is still an amazing achievement. We are all beautiful in our own unique and special ways :hug:

Hope that doesn't sound negative, sometimes things don't come out the way I want them to when I write them down :)

Congratulations on starting your weight loss Jen. It really is a tough thing to do. DH and I started the old WW program before we got married, he lost about 30 pounds and I lost 15. We started gaining some back so he registered again and started the new program. It did take some getting used to so I understand you doing the old. If it worked, why not? My sister just joined a little over a month ago and already lost 18 pounds!! So 50 in 6 months is totally doable!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Losing Weight for Mickey (and myself!)

*Sigh.* So I know a lot of you guys read my PTR last year for my November trip, and a big part of it was me struggling to lose weight for my trip, which of course, I ended up giving up on and actually gained weight before I went to WDW last year! :sad2:

Well, I'm trying again. And this time, I'm serious! I'm just not happy with the way I look or feel...I hate going through all my Disney pictures once I get home and seeing how overweight I am, I hate not being able to go in a store and buy a normal pair of pants, and I hate how I feel just generally unhealthy. My mom has a lot of health problems, and I'd say 75% of them are from her being overweight and I really don't feel like following in her footsteps.

Last year, I was trying to eat sensibly and exercise, and one week I'd lose 3 pounds, and the next week I'd gain 2 back. I know that can work for a lot of people, but I need more structure. I don't like counting every little calorie I eat, so I've decided to do the only thing that has ever worked for me, which is Weight Watchers! :banana: I have all of the materials, so I'm going to do the old program for now, and then maybe I'll rejoin again online and try the new program, but I've read the new program just doesn't work as well as the old. :confused3 Does anyone have any experience with this?

As for exercising...well, I hate it! :rotfl: I have an elliptical machine in my house, and every second that I'm on that thing, I'm convincing myself to get off of it! If I don't find something I enjoy doing, I won't stick with it. I was going to Zumba classes last year, which I loved, but they were SO expensive I had to stop going, so I might order the DVD's you always see on TV! And I do like to walk, so when it gets a little warmer, I'm going to start going for walks on my break at work. I'd also like to complete the Couch to 5K program this year! Do you guys have a favorite exercise? :yay:

My goal is to lose 50-60 pounds by my October trip. I know that sounds like a lot, but I have almost 6 months til my trip, and if I lost 10 pounds a month, it gets me to my goal. So my plan is to report back to you guys every week with my progress, and I'm hoping doing so will keep me motivated! There's nothing worse than announcing weight loss plans publicly only to come back the next week and tell everyone you've gained weight! :eek:

I hope you guys don't mind that I'm mixing in weight loss stuff with Disney planning! For me, it kind of goes hand in hand, I'm so tired of being overweight at Disney World! :laughing: And I'm probably going to need to wear shorts this year, since it's gonna be hotter than I'm used to! :scared1:

I could have written this myself, almost word-for-word!

For years I've known I need to lose weight, but just don't have the motivation to do so. My size has never really bothered me... well, the #s on the scale and the size of my clothes. But lately, I don't like what I see in the mirror.

My BFF is also going to WDW in September (sadly, we aren't going at the same time :sad2:) and we are both determined to lose weight before our trips. My goal is to lose 2 lbs per week... making a total of 40 lbs by the time I leave for my vacation.

I'll be here to cheer you on!
:cheer2:

I think posting your weight loss journey here is a great way to stay motivated! I'm looking forward to following along with your progress. :goodvibes

I definitely think the key to a successful weight-loss attempt is finding a diet that works for you, so it sounds like you've already taken that first step! I know so many people who've had wonderful results on WW.

As for exercise, sadly I hate it too! :laughing: Once I get into the routine of doing it, it isn't that bad. But, if you ever break that routine, it is so hard to get back on the wagon! That's what I'm currently going through now - just trying to push myself to go to them gym. :headache: Do you like strength training at all? I prefer it over cardio because it isn't as boring. And, the more muscle you build the more calories you burn! I had a doctor tell me once that cardio should be about 20% of your workout and strength training should make up the rest for optimal results. And as far as cardio goes, I really like the cross trainer. I like to take a celebrity gossip magazine like US or In Touch and read through those while I'm on the machine. Normally once I reach the end of the magazine I've done 30 minutes!

Oh, and one more thing - have you tried intervals when you're doing your cardio? They are supposed to really maximize your results. I try to do a 5 minute "warm up" and then go as fast as I possibly can for 15 seconds and then normal pace for 1 minute, then speed up again, and so on. I normally just repeat that for 10 minutes or until I can't go any more! :lmao:

I totally understand the weight loss story - am sure all of us have been there at some point. Weight Watchers is the only thing that works for me as well - you've gotta love being able to eat whatever you want and still lose weight!! :banana:

Just take it easy - you have plenty of time before your trip and am sure you will be able to lose weight before going to Disney World :thumbsup2 I have done both WW programmes and have to say that at first I missed the old one and did not like the way of the new programme. However, I think my body has started to get used to the new points system as have been gradually losing weight - am not one of those people that loses lots each week but a slight loss is better then a gain right? ;)

The thing I think that stinks with the new programme is that everyone is on the same points - how is that possible?? :confused3 Keep us updated on how it goes and if you have any questions about the plan let us know.

Am looking forward to seeing your purchases :)

The plan is to go Saturday November 5th - Friday the 11th. I am hoping to catch the end of food and wine and get to see the Christmas decorations!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! I am also starting mine, I want to loose 100 lbs total in general, but would like to loose around 60 by November. I just returned from a short trip to Las Vegas on Friday and I hated having to be squished in an airplane seat and not being able to do any shopping at any of the stores because they didn't carry my size. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

The title of your PTR caught me and I had to come over and check it out. I am so happy that you guys get to go to WDW in October. My familiy and I went in Sept 2009 for a Wish trip and had a great time. MNSSHP was so much fun. We even found out the Johnny Depp was in the parade playing Captain Jack. Don't forget to bring your sweet tooth for all the free candy.

I am very jealous that you get to go to Disney so often. Our last (and only) trip will be 18 months before our next trip and I am not planning on the next one untill 2013 (though I am trying to look in the budget and convince some girl friends to go with me early November or December next year:thumbsup2).

I know what you mean about loosing weight for Disney. I looked at my pics from our last trip and think:sick:. I started walking the mall and watching what I eat. I also found an abe lounge that I need to use more often and am thinking about pulling out the Wii Fit. Good news is I have been doing this for 7 weeks and have lost 16lbs. :banana:

Hi, I just found your PTR and am joining in now! AKL is a beautiful resort-- I'm sure you'll love staying there!

I think mixing in weight loss updates with your PTR is a good way to stay on track! I have found that I do best with weight loss when I talk about it with people- helps hold me accountable!

We have an elliptical and we now have a small tv that we can watch while working out. It's been great- when I want to watch some bad reality tv that DH isn't in to, I can hop on the elliptical and watch whatever I want!

I agree with Courtney's suggestion of adding some strength training in... pick up a few small weights (or you can use water bottles or canned goods).

No matter what- getting healthier will help you feel better in so many ways!

Good luck on your goals. (That's a sincere good luck, not a sarcastic one.) Are you considering doing any of the races during your trip? I'd kind of like to do the stroller division 5K, but we're getting there too late.

Look at it this way...you've really been wanting to stay there. But really, the MK which would be the furthest drive is only about 15 minutes. It's not bad at all! Just imagine how much fun it's going to be going outside and watching the animals right outside your room! You will love it!

I know, I am really excited to stay there! :banana: And honestly, you know what bothers me the most about the drive, especially to MK (based on how I felt coming from ASMu, which is almost as far as AKL...)-I'm just SO impatient! When I'm on my way to a park, I want to be there NOW, I don't want to sit at lights and worry about traffic, I just want to be there! So if I can learn to be a bit more patient, the distance won't bother me as much!

I would love to hear about your weight loss journey as well as Disney PTR stuff! I would like to lose weight as well, but I HATE working out. I tried WW in college and I actually lost about 20lbs in 6 weeks, but then I got tired of keeping track of my points so I just stopped. I want to lose weight to be more healthy for when my DH and I decide to start a family. Right now, I'm going in baby steps. Making healthier portion decisions as well as choosing which foods to eat. Can't wait to hear more! Maybe we can be weight lose buddies!

Ugh, I know the feeling, I hate working out too! And when I first did WW, years ago, I lost 20 pounds in a month, then of course, I gave up, because I was like "eh, I don't need this, I can do it on my own!" Stopped tracking points and making good decisions and eventually, gained it all back, and then some. :eek: Going in baby steps is a good way to start, if you try to do everything all at once, it gets to be too overwhelming! :thumbsup2

We haven't stayed at AKL yet no, we did book our honeymoon resort there. But after weighing up the pros and cons after staying at the Poly we switched to the Poly.

Its an amazing resort and being able to walk out and see the animals is v cool and the theming is gorgeous as well as having Boma on your doorstep :)

Feel free to share with us how you are getting on with your weight loss programme. It is hard at times and frustrating I know, but don't push yourself too hard or get down on yourself. If you don't get make your target but still lost weight in the process that is still an amazing achievement. We are all beautiful in our own unique and special ways :hug:

Hope that doesn't sound negative, sometimes things don't come out the way I want them to when I write them down :)

LOL, if I could stay at the Poly over AKL, I'd definitely pick the Poly too, no question! It's my dream resort, it is so beautiful! But I think after staying at AKL, I might love it just as much as I love my Poly! :love:

You definitely don't sound negative, don't worry, I know what you're saying! :goodvibes I would like to lose 50-60 pounds by my trip, but if it doesn't happen and I lose like, 40, I'll be happy. Because my trip isn't going to be the end of this weight loss journey, unfortunately, I have a lot more to lose than 60 pounds to be in a normal weight range for my height. I know it's going to be challenging, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. I need a challenge in my life. :laughing:

Congratulations on starting your weight loss Jen. It really is a tough thing to do. DH and I started the old WW program before we got married, he lost about 30 pounds and I lost 15. We started gaining some back so he registered again and started the new program. It did take some getting used to so I understand you doing the old. If it worked, why not? My sister just joined a little over a month ago and already lost 18 pounds!! So 50 in 6 months is totally doable!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Thanks! :goodvibes Ugh, it is really hard to do! I would like to try the new WW program, but I'm so familiar with the old one, and I have all the materials still, so I'm just going to use that for now, at least I know it works! I hope 50 pounds in 6 months is doable! Usually when I start WW, I lose a lot really quickly, and then it slows to 1-2 pounds a week, so I'm hoping the first few weeks I'll lose a lot really fast! :woohoo: I will definitely keep everyone posted...and hopefully I'll have an awesome "after" picture to post at the end of this PTR, if you think of the pics at the beginning as my "before" pics! :laughing:

I could have written this myself, almost word-for-word!

For years I've known I need to lose weight, but just don't have the motivation to do so. My size has never really bothered me... well, the #s on the scale and the size of my clothes. But lately, I don't like what I see in the mirror.

My BFF is also going to WDW in September (sadly, we aren't going at the same time) and we are both determined to lose weight before our trips. My goal is to lose 2 lbs per week... making a total of 40 lbs by the time I leave for my vacation.

I'll be here to cheer you on!
:cheer2:

I know what you mean, I've been trying to get myself motivated to lose weight for, well, years. And it seems like I keep going in the opposite direction, gaining instead of losing. It's just SO hard to get started! :eek: But hopefully, once I start seeing results and feeling better, I hope my motivation will come back!

Good luck with your weight loss goals also, I'm cheering you on too! :cheer2:

I think posting your weight loss journey here is a great way to stay motivated! I'm looking forward to following along with your progress. :goodvibes

I definitely think the key to a successful weight-loss attempt is finding a diet that works for you, so it sounds like you've already taken that first step! I know so many people who've had wonderful results on WW.

As for exercise, sadly I hate it too! :laughing: Once I get into the routine of doing it, it isn't that bad. But, if you ever break that routine, it is so hard to get back on the wagon! That's what I'm currently going through now - just trying to push myself to go to them gym. Do you like strength training at all? I prefer it over cardio because it isn't as boring. And, the more muscle you build the more calories you burn! I had a doctor tell me once that cardio should be about 20% of your workout and strength training should make up the rest for optimal results. And as far as cardio goes, I really like the cross trainer. I like to take a celebrity gossip magazine like US or In Touch and read through those while I'm on the machine. Normally once I reach the end of the magazine I've done 30 minutes!

Oh, and one more thing - have you tried intervals when you're doing your cardio? They are supposed to really maximize your results. I try to do a 5 minute "warm up" and then go as fast as I possibly can for 15 seconds and then normal pace for 1 minute, then speed up again, and so on. I normally just repeat that for 10 minutes or until I can't go any more!

I love WW, I love that you can still eat regular foods, but you learn to portion them by counting the points! And I know it works for me, it's the only thing that has ever worked for me, and I've tried almost everything! :rotfl:

I hate exercising, but once I get going with it, if I skip a workout, I feel guilty! It's just getting to that point that is hard! :rotfl: And I have to find something I like, I do like to walk, and I kind of enjoy the elliptical once it stops feeling like torture! :laughing: I really loved Zumba, but like I said, the classes are ridiculously expensive where I went!

I can't stand strength training! :eek: I think doing weights is SO boring! But I know it's necessary, I know it helps boost metabolism, and it's good for your bones and everything, so I have to get started with that again!

Reading a magazine while exercising sounds like a good idea, I can do that on the elliptical! I also have a tv in that room, so I should just put on a Disney movie or something! I've done intervals before, but I never stick with it. I should really try that again, I know doing intervals burns a ton of calories! Have you heard of those Intensity DVD's? They're based on intervals, but instead of going really fast for a few seconds then slowing down, they do it the other way around...you work out really hard for like 20 minutes, then you get a quick minute break where you slow down! It sounds crazy, but I bet it works!

I have my computer back!

Anyway, there's a thread that some of us frequent over on the WISH forum, so if you want to check it out, feel free :teeth: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2572357

I hope your weight loss works out Mine's not really working :(

Yay!!

Is that the Boo to Us thread from when we all hijacked your PTR last year? :rotfl: I did join that thread when it first started, but then I gave up when I realized I wasn't doing anything to lose weight!

Thanks! I hope you figure out something that works for you! :goodvibes

Yay!!

Is that the Boo to Us thread from when we all hijacked your PTR last year? :rotfl: I did join that thread when it first started, but then I gave up when I realized I wasn't doing anything to lose weight!

Thanks! I hope you figure out something that works for you! :goodvibes

:lmao: Yes, it is :) It's a little active now, so if you want to join us, feel free :)

Eh, I'll figure something out :hug:

I totally understand the weight loss story - am sure all of us have been there at some point. Weight Watchers is the only thing that works for me as well - you've gotta love being able to eat whatever you want and still lose weight!! :banana:

Just take it easy - you have plenty of time before your trip and am sure you will be able to lose weight before going to Disney World :thumbsup2 I have done both WW programmes and have to say that at first I missed the old one and did not like the way of the new programme. However, I think my body has started to get used to the new points system as have been gradually losing weight - am not one of those people that loses lots each week but a slight loss is better then a gain right? ;)

The thing I think that stinks with the new programme is that everyone is on the same points - how is that possible?? Keep us updated on how it goes and if you have any questions about the plan let us know.

Am looking forward to seeing your purchases :)

I love WW, but the new one makes me nervous! I was such a pro at the old one, I could just look at whatever food I was eating, and as long as I had the nutritional facts, I could figure out the points in my head! Not knowing how to do that with the new one freaks me out! I'm glad it's working for you! I'd like to try it someday! :thumbsup2

The plan is to go Saturday November 5th - Friday the 11th. I am hoping to catch the end of food and wine and get to see the Christmas decorations!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! I am also starting mine, I want to loose 100 lbs total in general, but would like to loose around 60 by November. I just returned from a short trip to Las Vegas on Friday and I hated having to be squished in an airplane seat and not being able to do any shopping at any of the stores because they didn't carry my size. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Your November dates are great! We did the end of the Food and Wine festival last year, and it was so much fun! :banana: And the Christmas decorations are amazing!

Ugh, I know what you mean about the airplane seats! I was SO afraid I'd get booted off Southwest in November, but when I sat in the seat and actually fit, I was SO relieved! But I don't even want it to be a concern this year, I want to know I'm going to fit! :laughing: Keep me posted on how you are doing with your weight loss also! :goodvibes

The title of your PTR caught me and I had to come over and check it out. I am so happy that you guys get to go to WDW in October. My familiy and I went in Sept 2009 for a Wish trip and had a great time. MNSSHP was so much fun. We even found out the Johnny Depp was in the parade playing Captain Jack. Don't forget to bring your sweet tooth for all the free candy.

I am very jealous that you get to go to Disney so often. Our last (and only) trip will be 18 months before our next trip and I am not planning on the next one untill 2013 (though I am trying to look in the budget and convince some girl friends to go with me early November or December next year:thumbsup2).

I know what you mean about loosing weight for Disney. I looked at my pics from our last trip and think:sick:. I started walking the mall and watching what I eat. I also found an abe lounge that I need to use more often and am thinking about pulling out the Wii Fit. Good news is I have been doing this for 7 weeks and have lost 16lbs. :banana:

:welcome: I'm so excited to finally get to a MNSSHP! It seems like I always picked Christmas over Halloween, so I can't wait try something new! You saw Johnny Depp??? That's awesome! :eek:

LOL, I don't go to Disney that often...last year was a fluke going twice, it just happened to work out that we go married and needed a place to go on a honeymoon, so of course, I picked Disney! :laughing: And my DH keeps telling me we're not going every year anymore, so we'll see what happens with that! :confused3 I wish I could go twice a year, every year! :lovestruc

Congrats on losing 16 pounds, that's awesome! :thumbsup2 I love the Wii Fit, I tried it at my friend's house a few months ago, and have wanted one ever since, but never got one!

Hi, I just found your PTR and am joining in now! AKL is a beautiful resort-- I'm sure you'll love staying there!

Hi, :welcome: thanks for joining! I can't wait to stay at AKL, it is really beautiful! I can't wait to see giraffes every day for 8 days of my life! :cool1:

I think mixing in weight loss updates with your PTR is a good way to stay on track! I have found that I do best with weight loss when I talk about it with people- helps hold me accountable!

We have an elliptical and we now have a small tv that we can watch while working out. It's been great- when I want to watch some bad reality tv that DH isn't in to, I can hop on the elliptical and watch whatever I want!

I agree with Courtney's suggestion of adding some strength training in... pick up a few small weights (or you can use water bottles or canned goods).

No matter what- getting healthier will help you feel better in so many ways!

Thanks! That's kind of why I announced my plans here, so you guys can help motivate me if I don't do well! :laughing:

I have a tv near my elliptical too, but I always get so bored watching it! All I can think about is how I don't feel like elliptical-ing! :rotfl: But I'm gonna get over it, I hope! I didn't do it today, because I went for a walk on my break, but I'm going to try to use it at least every other day this week so I can get used it it again!

Strength training is a great idea, but I hate it! I'm telling you, there is very little exercise that I like! :eek: I have all sorts of weights-dumbbells, medicine balls-all sitting in a closet, just begging to be used! I really should dig them out and boost my metabolism a little!

I can't wait to feel healthier and have more energy! Because I sometimes feel that I can barely make it through the day, and that the simplest tasks are SO hard to get through! I just feel so unhealthy, all day long, and I want to stop that feeling!

Good luck on your goals. (That's a sincere good luck, not a sarcastic one.) Are you considering doing any of the races during your trip? I'd kind of like to do the stroller division 5K, but we're getting there too late.

LOL, thanks! :rotfl: I was thinking about doing the 5K, but I decided against it after finding out it was in AK this year (my least favorite park) and thinking I'd probably fall and break my ankle and ruin my vacation. :sad2: I want to do the half Princess marathon next year...gotta start training for that one soon if that's gonna happen! :woohoo:

I'm here! You are going to love MNSSHP and staying at the AKL! I am so excited for you. Can't wait to hear all about your plans!

Hey, I almost missed you, sorry about that! So glad you're here! :goodvibes I can't wait to go to MNSSHP...I wish my trip was tomorrow! :rotfl:

:lmao: Yes, it is :) It's a little active now, so if you want to join us, feel free :)

Eh, I'll figure something out :hug:

LOL, I can't believe that's still going! I'll definitely come by! :cool1:

I am here to support you on your weight loss journey! :thumbsup2 It's great that you are trying to be healthier. I really want to start focusing on giving up caffeine (diet sodas in particular) and eating more vegetables! Hopefully seeing your dedication will motivate me to make my own changes! By the way, I think you should go with what you did last time as well- everytime you lose a certain amount of weight you get a new Disney shirt! :)

Hi! Joining in...a little late :) We are going in Oct--also our first time to be going time of year. Can't wait!!

I'm here I'm here :cool1:

Very excited for your upcoming trip!! I actually just booked a trip for the end of October so your PTR is getting me even more excited...though too bad we arent going at the same time!!

I am so excited to read about the resort and about MNSSHP :goodvibes

I am actually trying to lose weight with my trip as a goal point as well!! I have some weight watchers cookbooks if you need any recipe ideas :thumbsup2

I'm hoping you reach your goals!!! They have those weight loss countdown tracker things! We will all be here to cheer you on!!!:yay::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter