Weird, Wacky and Good to know (4/16 Magic)

Angie_Ohio said:
I do not usually send back food I don't care for or isn't cooked as ordered. It seems that everyone else is finished eating by the time it comes back to the table. How long does a new food item take to prepare and return to your plate? :hourglass
Angie_OH

All of the menus are limited and made in quantity so it is usually only a minute or three for your server to show up with another selection. A better trick is, if you are at all uncertain you'll like something ask if it would be ok to choose two items. They will of course say yes but it is still polite to ask.

I'm not suggesting everyone should order every item on the menu but with a bit of common sense you should not have to suffer through a meal you didn't enjoy. Your server does not want that and neither do you. In my case, they insisted on a second entree when I did not eat the first and on another night there were two items I wanted to try and they were happy to bring both.

Use some common sense and you will have a much better experience at dinner.

Thanks for posting this. We booked, for our next DC. a category six room and the room across the hall from it. The info about the rocking might be helpful. I enjoyed your report and appreciate the tips. That's a lovely place you have in Kissimmee.

Honu said:
Biodegradable into what?? is the question. Nitrates and Botulism is what eventually happens to bread in the water. The consumed bread becomes nitrates. Water rich in nitrates is toxic. Bread that is not consumed sinks to the bottom where it ferments. This rot produces the growth of botulism bacterium. When the fish (or birds) eat or drink the toxic water or soil they become very sick, even paralyzed, and eventually die. This is much more common in ponds and fresh water that the in the ocean. Bottom line here though is that every small bad action adds up. Pollution is pollution.

I'm still smiling too. :wave:

Well now you've gone and done it... Tweaked the scientist in me... A rough calculation comes up with Castaway Cay Bay containing in excess of 78,000,000 gallons or 651,000,000 pounds of water and it is flushed at least partially twice a day by the tides.

The nitrate concentration in sea water is typically 120 parts per million. Now if the approximately 300 people that snorkeled on our cruise each took two one pound loaves on bread into the bay, a ridiculous assumption, and if we assume a 100% conversion of bread into nitrates it would add less than 1 part per million to the total concentration.

thomprod said:
Sorry, but what does #19 refer to? No one got arrested???

Long story... My mother mentioned that a five year old was handcuffed and I said " you saw that here on the boat ?" and she said "yes". I interpreted what she said to mean Disney had handcuffed a five year old on the boat for throwing and breaking things. I found out latter she meant she saw a news story on the TV on the boat. If you knew my mother you'd understand...

If it still isn't clear don't worry, just ignore #19

Fabulous and funny report! Thanks so much! When we've snorkled in areas outside of Castaway Cay we've used bread crumbs or something like that . . ummm

Still losing pounds so I can really enjoy the food!

Have a great day!

Very informative and funny post. Couldn't agree more about the stairs. I couldn't believe how many people (young and healthy) would take a crowded elevator one or two decks when the stairs are right there! :confused3

Honu said:
...The one thing I would omit is feeding the fish though.

Just a funny side note -- I did not know about not feeding fish any food on our first Disney cruise (Western) -- we did the Fury snorkel and beach party excursion in Cozumel and the tour guides were giving us tortillas to feed the fish. Of course, it worked and the fished gathered close by. But when we inquired about tortillia-eating fish, the guide said, "well of course they love tortillas, they are mexican fish!" Thought I'd share....
I promise to not feed the fish anymore...:blush:

Thanks alot for taking the time and energy to do this post. I found it very informative and helpful and can't wait to use some of your tips on our cruise in September.

3) If you wake up at 3 am on the last day of the cruise to hear "Bright star alert" on the Public Address system, someone has had a medical emergency. (PS does anyone know the other secret Disney codes?"

4) Consider wearing a VERY large Button in St. Thomas that reads. "NO THANKS, I DO NOT NEED A TAXI BACK TO THE SHIP YET".

I was wondering what on earth woke me up that morning. I was so out of it that I promptly forgot about it til I read your post. Why did they have to pipe that into every room?

The taxis in St. Thomas were hilarious. We were walking down a side street in town and there was a taxi that kept pace with us the whole length of the street trying to get customers to ride with him back to Crown Bay. Then later we saw him cruising down the main street with the same passengers. I wonder how long it took him to get his taxi full. I felt sorry for his passengers. They could have walked back to the ship faster than he got them there.

Toni

Kissimmee_Family said:
Well now you've gone and done it... Tweaked the scientist in me... A rough calculation comes up with Castaway Cay Bay containing in excess of 78,000,000 gallons or 651,000,000 pounds of water and it is flushed at least partially twice a day by the tides.

The nitrate concentration in sea water is typically 120 parts per million. Now if the approximately 300 people that snorkeled on our cruise each took two one pound loaves on bread into the bay, a ridiculous assumption, and if we assume a 100% conversion of bread into nitrates it would add less than 1 part per million to the total concentration.

you rock :)

I'm now wondering how much trouble I'll get in feeding the gulls on my veranda...

This has to be one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read on this forum: my two cents on the feeding fish/birds thing is that I cannot imagine that a few slices of bread in the Caribbean is going to disrupt the eco system. We arrive on Castaway Cay in a megaton ship spewing oil and sewage into the ocean all the way there, and then I should refrain from feeding fish a few bites of bread? I don't see it, but then again, I'm no ecoscientist.

As for the feeding the birds issue, however, I have a different opinion, based solely upon consideration for fellow cruisers. I've been on ships and beaches where people have started feeding the gulls, etc., as a pleasant diversion, and my daughter has been the victim of "collateral damage" from bird bombs as a result. I can see how it can be fun at first, but once you get a flock of birds (especially gulls) going, that area is ground zero for the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion. Carry on.

Thanks for clearing up the north star alert at 3 am in the morning.
I had finally fallen asleep and thought I was dreaming when I heard her saying north star north star cabin 6094.
I could not get back to sleep and ended up on deck 4 watching us go back to Port.

Marnie

I'm curious what you mean about the chicken fingers?!? Are our servers not getting enough to eat?

Thanks everyone for the positive response to my post.. Might even try a

Wierd, Wacky and Good to Know Part II....

I'll skip any more silly bread tricks.

WDWLVR said:
Please do not follow the bread ideas. All you are doing is teaching the birds to come closer and closer to the ships and you will soon have a problem especially embarkation day and trying to eat outside.

As far as the fish Honu is right that bread and other human food isn't good for them.

I have to agree with this!

bobsuzla said:
I'm curious what you mean about the chicken fingers?!? Are our servers not getting enough to eat?

Someone posted that they do not get the same food as we guests do..They have a lot of rice, and other foods. I would imagine it is a special treat for them. Also the thought is nice. :love:

Kissimmee_Family said:
We are not talking about a 10 gallon aquarium here. Any contribution to the general turbidity is absolutely insignificant. Second, bread is 100% bio degradable. Third, we have a two acre fish pond in my back yard with several thousand catfish, bass and brim. I also raise Koi. If you have the opportunity to read a fish food label, not your Hartz Goldfish food but the 50lb sacks of balanced pond diet. You'll see that the main ingredients are the same grains common to your average Disney dinner roll. So, contrary to your concerns, bread is in fact good fish food and all my old breads, cereals and English muffins go into the pond weekly. You can peak at my pond here

My Pond

I'm still smiling ... I hope you are too:earboy2:

Would you like to adopt a new daughter. LOL. I love your yard, it is absolutely beautiful. Do your kids realize just how lucky they are?

KyCruisinSusan said:
Would you like to adopt a new daughter. LOL. I love your yard, it is absolutely beautiful. Do your kids realize just how lucky they are?

Actually we have only been here a year so the shine has not worn off yet. But the first day back DS (7) was moping around "I'm bored. there is nothing to do."

The wife has often mused about adopting. Send us an application.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter