Weird, Wacky and Good to know (4/16 Magic)

Kissimmee_Family

Earning My Ears
Still getting used to the idea that if we want to eat we have to actually cook and wash dishes again.

1) Sea legs. Not sure if our cruise started out super rough but I'm guessing it was getting up there. Two thoughts come to mind. a) Avoid activities that require eye concentration, reading, fiddling with camera settings etc. b) When you are walking in high seas, focus at the furthest point ahead and don't look at the floor just in front. You will walk straighter and feel less queasy.

2) Yes, when you get ashore it is normal for the ground to keep moving.

3) If you hear "Bright star alert" on the Public Address system, someone has had a medical emergency. Sadly we have since learned that a loved one passed away that night. His family is in our prayers and I want to believe he is in heaven sharing happy memories with Walt.

4) Consider wearing a VERY large Button in St. Thomas that reads. "NO THANKS, I DO NOT NEED A TAXI BACK TO THE SHIP YET".

5) Room layout and boat motion. We had two rooms. In our inside cabin the bed was oriented from side to side. Since the motion of the ship is predominantly a rolling movement, the effect is like your bed is on a teeter totter and alternately your head is below your feet and then vice versa. If you have ever dangled upside down you will instantly recognize the blood rushing to your head feeling. By contrast the bed in our Navigator Veranda cabin was head to bow and feet to stern. In this case the rolling motion rocked the bed from side to side, a much more pleasant sensation. If you are expecting rough seas or fear you might be susceptible to motion sickness consider how your room is laid out.

6) If you own a cell phone (sprint PCS in my case). Keep tabs on the passing Islands. You will often be within range of service even if land is not visible. I used a hand held GPS with map display to plot the passings, alternatively they are often posted in the navigator with approximate times. Be sure to check with your cell provider which Islands are available and what if any cost is added.

7) I did not use the on board internet as my cell also doubles as a digital modem but I did chat with the internet manager and she confirmed that there are about 20 terminals between crew and passengers and they all share a single 512 kilobit satellite connection. It was $89 for the 7 day cruise and at least one PC had a web cam and a few others had headphones. No way to plug in a USB device or read digital film, not even a CD drive.

8) Very hard to fly kite from deck. The winds are very turbulent around the ship and it is all but impossible to launch a kite from the deck.

9) When you board if you get some bread from the bon voyage buffet and toss it in the air as you leave port the seagulls will fly up and take it from your hand or if you prefer they will catch it in the air.

10) Silly bread trick number two. Put some bread in a baggie before you go snorkeling at castaway key/cay. Knead it into a ball and then release small bits of it in the water and watch the fish swarm around you.

11) I was expecting every other cabin door to have a welcome magnet. In fact, maybe only a dozen doors had one. In case you are not sure what I'm talking about, you buy an 81/2 x 11 printable magnetic sheet at a stationary store (Wal-Mart too) and print it in your inkjet. The doors on the Magic and Wonder are steel and make excellent refrigerators, for magnet purposes. Special note: the hallway ceilings are also steel and the magnets stick there as well.

12) I was lead to believe that each room had a full mini bar filled with items to purchase. I guess Disney has given up that idea and now you have an empty fridge to store your own items. Milk, cereal, Danish, lox, cream cheese etc all found a home in ours.

13) Disney conveniently provides a health club on each floor in the elevator lobbies. They're called stairs. Use them.

14) Bridge tours are only offered when the ship is in port. Almost as good or even better to some is to go to the exercise room full forward in the spa during docking or getting under way. The health club looks down into the bridge and you can even read the instruments.

15) Apparently food service to the crew is either inconvenient or timed poorly for some of them and many will kiss your feet for a plate of fries and chicken tenders from the deck 9 counters. Be discrete and ask them first.

16) Flat soda. A chronic problem was flat soda. I guess the CMs don't taste the cola so if you don't say anything you'll keep getting flat soda.

17) Near Shutters there is a new "burn your 3D portrait in an Acrylic Block with a Laser" booth. Check it out.

18) If your children are resisting going to the clubs and they are 9 and older, try giving them sign out privileges along with clear rules. Part of the problem with my DD was that she felt trapped in there and hence resisted going. Once she had sign out rights she loved to go there.

19) If your read the original #19 ignore it. I mixed up the story.

20) Avoid the “Duty Free World” store at the St. Maarten pier. It is in the large corner shaped building right at the exit to the ship. I posted the why, elsewhere.

21) Do not sit in the left front row of the Walt Disney Theater during the BumbleSquat show unless you want to boogie with Mrs. BumbleSquat on stage.

22) You are on one of the most expensive vacations of your life. Your server wants you to enjoy every meal. If you order something you don’t care for, tell them and select something else.

Hope some of these are helpful and unique. Enjoy your cruse. We did and the Forums helped us a lot.

Wow! This has to rank right up there as one of the most useful and funny posts I have seen yet! Thanks so much for the insight!:flower:
I especially like the observation about the bed arrangement in the inside rooms as opposed to most of the other rooms...I was thinking it would actually be better to have the big bed against the back wall so the kids didn't have to trapse through our "area" to get to the bathroom, but it will be helpful to know to try sleeping perpendicular on the bed if the ship's a rockin'!
Flat soda sure doesn't excite me...did they do anything about it?
And sneaking food to the CM's? How did you find out they don't get to eat much? This would be a super tip for all Disers to know...how to reward your favorite CMs...Chicken Fingers! :banana:

Thanks again for the fun post!

Kissimmee - Very, very funny. It was great meeting you!! I am sure the kids will be emailing soon. Right now, mine are getting back into their Gamecube mode!!

Stinasmom - One of the Cruise Staff had a running joke with some of the kids on board who brought her chicken fingers one day. She said they don't get to eat the same food as the passengers, in fact she said they have rice at almost every meal! She said if you want to get on a CM's good side, get them chicken fingers!!!

Also, thanks to advice I got on this board, I gave phone cards in addition to my gratuity to several CM's. Our Stateroom Host was most appreciative and thanked DH several times. I had no idea it would be so popular!

Stinasmom said:
Wow! This has to rank right up there as one of the most useful and funny posts I have seen yet! Thanks so much for the insight!:flower:
I especially like the observation about the bed arrangement in the inside rooms as opposed to most of the other rooms...I was thinking it would actually be better to have the big bed against the back wall so the kids didn't have to trapse through our "area" to get to the bathroom, but it will be helpful to know to try sleeping perpendicular on the bed if the ship's a rockin'!
Flat soda sure doesn't excite me...did they do anything about it?
And sneaking food to the CM's? How did you find out they don't get to eat much? This would be a super tip for all Disers to know...how to reward your favorite CMs...Chicken Fingers! :banana:

Thanks again for the fun post!

Sleeping sideways is not an option as the bed is actually two beds and there is a noticeable ridge down the middle. You may be able to rotate the whole bed, I never thought to try that.

The soda issue is a matter of which machine you get it from. In the case of the deck 9 self serve. check each machine and find the one closest to your taste and go back there. In the restaurants let your server know if it happens and they will watch for it the rest of the cruise.

Yes dining servers will beg you to order something if you dot like it....One night we had one..and some of them 2 of everything on our menu....We were a sight.....It was 11 of us, 5 kids...and Sachin (the short one) wanted to make EVERYONE happy. He would even go to the other restaurants and get something we liked from there....Creme Brulee...YUM!!

Great post. I'm feeling the need to make a "This Lady don't want NO Hair Braids" button for Nassau. :rotfl:

The one thing I would omit is feeding the fish though.

Human food is REALLY not good for the fish and it dirties up the water. Even fish food really isn't a good idea either. The fish don't need us to feed them and MORE FOOD in the water = MORE FISH POOP in the water. We are already sliming up this water with sunblock, adding food/poop will eventually send these cute little fishies looking for a cleaner home. Take only pictures, Leave only footprints.

(Bread is bad for the Rats with Wings too)

Please do not follow the bread ideas. All you are doing is teaching the birds to come closer and closer to the ships and you will soon have a problem especially embarkation day and trying to eat outside.

As far as the fish Honu is right that bread and other human food isn't good for them.

I have to agree about the bread and the seaguls at the port.....they will associate the ship with food and start hovering and pooping and making a mess....how much fun would it be to be at the sailaway party and get pooped on!!!

We were in one of the ports on the Magic and someone started throwing bread in the air from their verandah...within a few second hundred of gulls were swooping in very near the ship and it was like a scene from the Birds....there was poop all over the side of the ship and verandahs....so beware of feeding the birds!!!

Not sure why you thought the cabins had fully stocked mini bars, though....DCL did away with having them stocked years ago....I remember them in 98 or 99 but I don't think after that....

The rest of the report was great, though!!!

Honu said:
Great post. I'm feeling the need to make a "This Lady don't want NO Hair Braids" button for Nassau. :rotfl:

The one thing I would omit is feeding the fish though.

Human food is REALLY not good for the fish and it dirties up the water. Even fish food really isn't a good idea either. The fish don't need us to feed them and MORE FOOD in the water = MORE FISH POOP in the water. We are already sliming up this water with sunblock, adding food/poop will eventually send these cute little fishies looking for a cleaner home. Take only pictures, Leave only footprints.

(Bread is bad for the Rats with Wings too)

We are not talking about a 10 gallon aquarium here. Any contribution to the general turbidity is absolutely insignificant. Second, bread is 100% bio degradable. Third, we have a two acre fish pond in my back yard with several thousand catfish, bass and brim. I also raise Koi. If you have the opportunity to read a fish food label, not your Hartz Goldfish food but the 50lb sacks of balanced pond diet. You'll see that the main ingredients are the same grains common to your average Disney dinner roll. So, contrary to your concerns, bread is in fact good fish food and all my old breads, cereals and English muffins go into the pond weekly. You can peak at my pond here

My Pond

I'm still smiling ... I hope you are too:earboy2:

Very entertaining and informing. Now I'll know what to do to get an acrylic cube photo or have Seagulls eat from my hands. Thanks for the heads up Kissimmee Family! :rotfl2:

Auercat

PS Less than 2 weeks to go before our first Disney Cruise. I'M STOKED!! :earsboy:

mmouse37 said:
I have to agree about the bread and the seaguls at the port.....they will associate the ship with food and start hovering and pooping and making a mess....how much fun would it be to be at the sailaway party and get pooped on!!!

We were in one of the ports on the Magic and someone started throwing bread in the air from their verandah...within a few second hundred of gulls were swooping in very near the ship and it was like a scene from the Birds....there was poop all over the side of the ship and verandahs....so beware of feeding the birds!!!

Not sure why you thought the cabins had fully stocked mini bars, though....DCL did away with having them stocked years ago....I remember them in 98 or 99 but I don't think after that....

The rest of the report was great, though!!!

Two points. There were many posts about taking coolers onboard to keep drinks cold. Guess I just assumed the mini bar was unavailable. I know better about a lot of things now...

Second point. I love watching birds in flight. We live on a rural lakefront farm in Kissimmee Florida and we are graced with many beautiful birds including sand cranes, bald eagles, wild turkeys, egrets, hawks, falcons, barn owls, wood peckers and too many others to list. In my 51 years I've always fed birds from ships of all sizes. I don't ever recall one pooping on me or anything else. I think you underestimate birds, they may be bird brains but they aren't stupid. No one has to throw food for them to know that those are tempting Disney baked goods down there on the Topsider Deck. The birds were landing on tables to sample the treats and no one was tossing anything their way except maybe a napkin or two.

Click here to see our very own Bald Eagle Scroll down to the third photo.

Great post Kissamee_Family

I was on the ship with you. I have to especially agree with you on point number 21. Unfortunately there was no wat for me to know this. I was the poor unsuspeting person who got to make a fool of himself. My kids loved it and nobody onboard would lwt me forget it.

It was a great trip.

David

Kissimmee_Family said:
Two points. There were many posts about taking coolers onboard to keep drinks cold. Guess I just assumed the mini bar was unavailable. I know better about a lot of things now...

Second point. I love watching birds in flight. We live on a rural lakefront farm in Kissimmee Florida and we are graced with many beautiful birds including sand cranes, bald eagles, wild turkeys, egrets, hawks, falcons, barn owls, wood peckers and too many others to list. In my 51 years I've always fed birds from ships of all sizes. I don't ever recall one pooping on me or anything else. I think you underestimate birds, they may be bird brains but they aren't stupid. No one has to throw food for them to know that those are tempting Disney baked goods down there on the Topsider Deck. The birds were landing on tables to sample the treats and no one was tossing anything their way except maybe a napkin or two.

Click here to see our very own Bald Eagle Scroll down to the third photo.

Certainly don't want to debate bird behavior....I was just relaying what I witnessed once in port (either St. Thomas or St. Maarten). I do realize that birds will find food, but no sense in contributing to the problem. I also have seen the birds at Topsiders and know folks were not too pleased to have them around. No doubt birds in flight are a beautiful thing but feeding them from your private backyard and from a cruise ship are two different things.

Still think you had a great report!!!

I do not usually send back food I don't care for or isn't cooked as ordered. It seems that everyone else is finished eating by the time it comes back to the table. How long does a new food item take to prepare and return to your plate? :hourglass
Angie_OH

Kissimmee_Family said:
We are not talking about a 10 gallon aquarium here. Any contribution to the general turbidity is absolutely insignificant. Second, bread is 100% bio degradable. Third, we have a two acre fish pond in my back yard with several thousand catfish, bass and brim. I also raise Koi. If you have the opportunity to read a fish food label, not your Hartz Goldfish food but the 50lb sacks of balanced pond diet. You'll see that the main ingredients are the same grains common to your average Disney dinner roll. So, contrary to your concerns, bread is in fact good fish food and all my old breads, cereals and English muffins go into the pond weekly. You can peak at my pond here

My Pond

I'm still smiling ... I hope you are too:earboy2:

Biodegradable into what?? is the question. Nitrates and Botulism is what eventually happens to bread in the water. The consumed bread becomes nitrates. Water rich in nitrates is toxic. Bread that is not consumed sinks to the bottom where it ferments. This rot produces the growth of botulism bacterium. When the fish (or birds) eat or drink the toxic water or soil they become very sick, even paralyzed, and eventually die. This is much more common in ponds and fresh water that the in the ocean. Bottom line here though is that every small bad action adds up. Pollution is pollution.

I'm still smiling too. :wave:

The consumed bread becomes nitrates. Water rich in nitrates is toxic. Bread that is not consumed sinks to the bottom where it ferments. This rot produces the growth of botulism bacterium. When the fish (or birds) eat or drink the toxic water or soil they become very sick, even paralyzed, and eventually die.
I never knew bread in ocean water was toxic! :confused3
And the think the ocean can handle bits of bread, since it's not like all 5 billion people on the planet were throwing bread into the oceans at the same time.

I gave phone cards in addition to my gratuity to several CM's. Our Stateroom Host was most appreciative and thanked DH several times. I had no idea it would be so popular!
I'm glad to hear that the phone cards are still appreciated. I thought the CMs would be up to their ears in phone cards, since it's a common tip being mentioned on various cruise boards. But I guess when you're far from home, you can never have too many phone cards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter