Weird question, I know.........

dizneefamily5

Mouseketeer
We are trying to find out if there are any "beaches" in Orlando where we can take the kids. Our kids love the sand but our oldest is petrified of sharks so she won't go near the ocean. Are there any beaches at local lakes, etc. that are clean, nice and family friendly - and no sharks? :rotfl: Thanks!

disney has some beaches next to lakes

at the hotels - Poly, GF, WL, BC, YC, CRB

there are other hotels in the area with lakes...not many nice beaches - but there are some.

I think Orlando has a big park with a lake.

you don't go swimming in any lake in Orlando not even WDW - not only alligators but there is a bacteria that can do damage (get inside your ears or nose)

most of the places that have a lake - also have a sign 'don't feed the alligators' or 'watch for alligators' - they aren't kidding....

make sure she understands that an alligator is as dangerous as a shark...

if you just want the sand - then OKW playground is a nice one for little kids...

lots and lots of sand.

plus most of the WDW playground have sand in them...

where are you staying?

Highly recommend Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach. My kids love them. You have the water, without the shark, alligator, pollution worries.

Arrive early, when they open in the morning, lines for slides will be minimal. Both have nice sandy areas with lounge chairs, lots of water activities for the kids, wave pool at TL, bobbing pool at BB, relaxing lazy river rides at both.

My sister lives at the beach, so we have done both numerous times. Water parks are by far our favorite. Also, if you worry about sunburn, don't spend more than about 3 hours at the beach, even with sunscreen. TL is very shaded and easy to stay out of the sun. BB is a little more open, but it is still possible to get out of the sun. When you are at a Florida beach you are in the sun, unless you bring big umbrellas!

So for fun in the sun, sand for the kids to play in, and clean safe waves I recommend both Disney water parks.

TL & BB are your best best. Sand at the wave pools. Great way to spend the day. Note: TL does have the shark reef. It is self contained and he does not have to enter any water that is connected to it, but if his fear is extreme he may not want to even be in the park.

DO NOT swim in Florida lakes !

Thank you all so much! We had no idea about the alligators so lakes won't be an option, either :-( That's okay. We do have leftover hoppers from several years ago with a water aprk day on there. So, we will definitely be doing that. We are staying in a private villa so we will have a pool all to ourselves. I guess we may take a day trip to Cocoa Beach and she can play in the sand or read a book. Thanks so much, everyone. You're so helpful, as usual! :thumbsup2

I would so go to Typhoon Lagoon. The theme is that you are on a tropical island. There is sand and water everywhere. Only there will be no sharks-- well only in the snorkle reef- but that is optional and you know ahead of time. There are also no gators. So you can have a worry free time in the water. I just love the theme, and I swear I could spend a whole vacation there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter