Weird question: AKL Club Level vs. 1 BR OKW

mellvswdw1

DIS Veteran
OK, a little bit of background: DH and I will be celebrating our 10 yr wedding anniversary in a few weeks with our DD who just turned one. We got married at WDW and spent our honeymoon with a savanna view. We are now DVC owners who absolutely love OKW.

So my question is this....we are doing a major split stay vacation for our anniversary trip. Due to us using our points for some larger upcoming trips we will be paying for a few nights. We have a pass holder rate for an OKW 1 BR for 4 nights at the end of our trip. I just found 4 nights at AKL club level for about $175 more. Do I give up the space, the washer and dryer to try club level in a regular room? We are staying for 2 nights at BWV and 3 nights at BCV in a 1BR. Our DD has just learned to talk, and we love the space. However, As much as we love being DVC owners, we feel pulled to AKL due to sentimental reasons and I don't know if we will ever have this opportunity again...ugh.

Help!

Melissa

As much as we love being DVC owners, we feel pulled to AKL due to sentimental reasons and I don't know if we will ever have this opportunity again...ugh. Help! Melissa

I haven't stayed at either, but you say you may never have this opportunity again. If it's something you think you'll regret missing out on for years to come do it!

I've stayed in 1 br at OKW and club level standard rm at AKL. Hands down I'd choose AKL. I just had my 23rd stay at Disney and AKL club was by far my favorite.

Thank you both....I'm so torn, but I'm being drawn to AKL. It was such a magical stay 10 years ago. Now when we go there it's usually to kidani as we own there.

I just hate the thought of giving up space but I really want something special. My only fear is going from a 1 BR to a regular room. Unfortunately, due to being locked into our dvc points we can't put the club level at the front part of our stay.

Thanks for the advice!

mellvswdw1 said:
Thank you both....I'm so torn, but I'm being drawn to AKL. It was such a magical stay 10 years ago. Now when we go there it's usually to kidani as we own there.

I just hate the thought of giving up space but I really want something special. My only fear is going from a 1 BR to a regular room. Unfortunately, due to being locked into our dvc points we can't put the club level at the front part of our stay.

Thanks for the advice!

We do miss the washer and dryer BUT we consider the lounge an extended living room! The staff probably gets tired of seeing us but it's a lot of space to spread out in. We met a couple of other families in the "kids" area and the kids loved playing together. We both brought toys and they had a ball. Noted we were considerate of others and didn't hog the space. Other than breakfast the lounge was pretty dead. The staff was wonderful and really took care of us.

I'm not fond of split stays, and you've got 3 different resorts. That's a lot of moving, but with planning should go smoothly.

I'd prefer AKL at the end, to really relax and celebrate! Just do all your laundry before moving over (if you're like me, you'll still have to do a load at the AKL, but they have a convenient laundry room by the pool anyway).

I loved the AKL club level. The staff was really great, and it's nice to really enjoy the resort and have a place to chill during the day and be pampered. The offerings are well worth the extra cost; many nights the appetizers and desserts were enough for dinner for us (one night we were fine with it, but DS wanted a hot dog, so I ran down to Mara and got him one to eat up in the lounge). The cappuccino machine was great - I'd wake up early and go have my coffee and read the paper and relax while the others slept in. They'll give you a beer or glass of wine any time (at least they did back when we stayed there), and having milk or soft drinks is great to not have to worry about stocking your fridge in the room yourself with too much.

For a special celebration, I think it would be way nicer than OKW.

Thanks for the advice!

There is no question I would stay with the 1 BR with a just walking toddler. Having the fridge for breakfast, juice and snacks and the washer, dryer alone would make it worth it to me.
You have wonderful memories of your honeymoon which is very special. There is no way this trip will be anything like that, so choosing AKL to have a visit like that just isn't going to happen. You are different, your life is different and you now have a little one.

There is no question I would stay with the 1 BR with a just walking toddler. Having the fridge for breakfast, juice and snacks and the washer, dryer alone would make it worth it to me.
You have wonderful memories of your honeymoon which is very special. There is no way this trip will be anything like that, so choosing AKL to have a visit like that just isn't going to happen. You are different, your life is different and you now have a little one.

My DH and I are dealing with this as well. What we want to do versus what we know is best for our 3 year old don't sync up :) We've been torn between a 1 BR at BLT and deluxe CL at BWI. My husband can't stand the thought of not having a washer and dryer for 9 days, but the deluxe CL room is actually cheaper because we have the military discount on it.

My DH and I are dealing with this as well. What we want to do versus what we know is best for our 3 year old don't sync up :) We've been torn between a 1 BR at BLT and deluxe CL at BWI. My husband can't stand the thought of not having a washer and dryer for 9 days, but the deluxe CL room is actually cheaper because we have the military discount on it.

This right here is the delimma and I think we will stick with the one bedroom. As much as I want to enjoy the club level, our DD comfort and the ability to do laundry if an oops happens is invaluable. We spend a lot more time in our room and the comfort level is key. Thank you all so much. I told my DH when she's older she can stay with grandma and grandpa and he and I would stay at club level!

Melissa

Just don't cancel your DVC reservations 30 days or less out from your stay. Those points will go into holding and have to be used by the end of your UY. If you do cancel, make sure you can bank those points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter