• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weird police activity at my house . . .

Even if it were a real cop the night before, even if he was a jerk, he should have given you his card.

We have had issues where we live, one cop who was way over and above what was necassary at our door. I didnt know the person, he wasnt at my house, the cop was just a jerk, I was hiding no one, I had dd at home. I did ask for his card, I never called but held onto it in case he showed up again. They then sat for a day or 2 in the church parking lot across from our house, the must have found thier guy as they havent been around in a while. We live in an interesting area, people have used our address, any idiot can drive down a street and copy down a house number.

On the upside, the street will be safer, less speeding, etc as long as the cop sits there. You didnt do anything wrong, you dont know her, but they dont know that. Too bad so many people lie and cheat.

Sounds like it was a process server to me. Take the dog for a walk and stop by the sherrif's car and ask if he needs any help.

Actually we did have something like that happen to us a few years ago. Almost the same story. We had lived there for TEN years, so this 'recent' address story was just a load of crap.

The problem is that just because you own the home, does not mean that Sue Smith is not living there now or lived there in the past. After all, plenty of people have roommates or people staying with them. And if Sue Smith is still listing your home as her address, then you have a problem because how do you prove that Sue Smith is not living there? And unfortunately in these situations, it ends up that YOU have to prove your innocence. In our case, they staked out our home for several days trying to find Sue Smith. It was very nerve-wracking and I made sure all of our drapes and doors were completely closed since I knew someone was watching us. We truly felt like we were being stalked by the people who should be protecting us from being stalked!

Eventually they did find Sue Smith living elsewhere and kindly (/snark) let us know that we were off the hook but warned us "To avoid letting other people use our address." Oh, screw YOU! We had never heard of or seen this Sue Smith, so we certainly never gave her permission to use our address.

Just call the police department and explain the situation. Asking an officer if he needs any help makes no sence, why would he need any help from a resident walking their dog.

A simple phone call will clear it up once and for all. The police are their to protect you, they dont know who is telling the truth just because your husband said so. You dont know what is behind the vist. Just call.

I find it extremely strange that the man didn't leave a business card also. Policemen who want follow up always seem to do that.
I would just casually walk up to the car outside your house (in plain sight) and ask if everything is okay, etc. to see what reaction you get. I wouldn't be afraid about it. If you want to call your local police first, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Eventually they did find Sue Smith living elsewhere and kindly (/snark) let us know that we were off the hook but warned us "To avoid letting other people use our address." Oh, screw YOU! We had never heard of or seen this Sue Smith, so we certainly never gave her permission to use our address.
Good grief! That's so Barney Fife! :rolleyes:

This is creepy to think of the police staking out innocent people because a criminal lied. How can other people control a criminal giving their address when it is false? :rolleyes:

(for clarity, this is NOT the kind of neighborhood like on COPS where a fugitive turns out to be hiding in the upstairs closet)?

That can happen in any neighborhood

This is creepy to think of the police staking out innocent people because a criminal lied. How can other people control a criminal giving their address when it is false?
How can the police find out the criminal lied unless they stake out the home the suspect supposedly lives in?

A simple phone call will clear it up once and for all. The police are their to protect you, they dont know who is telling the truth just because your husband said so. You dont know what is behind the vist. Just call.
Well said

also I agree with the posters that the person last night might have not been an actual officer. I think it was probably bounty hunter/bail bondsmen or a process server.

simple phone call will clear it up once and for all. The police are their to protect you, they dont know who is telling the truth just because your husband said so. You dont know what is behind the vist. Just call.
No, it won't clear it up if they are convinced that you are lying. That is, after all, why they are staking you out to being with -- because they don't believe you. So calling and reiterating that you are telling the truth is a waste of time. BTDT. I called many many times to complain and point out the obvious -- that a person can write down ANY address they want and it means nothing. But I was still staked out for days.

Like any of us have control over that? My DH is still getting phone calls for the person who had his cell phone number. Apparently, she still gives it out wrong on occasion.

OP, I'm with the others. Call the station NOW. Last night's visitor sounds like a process server, though.

Suzanne

It surprises me that so many posters see the police as the enemy in this situation. :confused3 FTW - I'm not a police officer or a police officer's wife but I've known enough of them to know that most of them are decent human beings who do their best to do their jobs. Are there police officers who are jerks? Sure! There's also teachers, next door neighbors, doctors, etc who are jerks.
I'd call the precinct, talk to a supervisor, invite them over to take a look. Hell, I'd even have coffee brewing when they got there. These are the folks you want on YOUR side! What bad thing could possibly happen from being open and friendly with the police?

It surprises me that so many posters see the police as the enemy in this situation. FTW - I'm not a police officer or a police officer's wife but I've known enough of them to know that most of them are decent human beings who do their best to do their jobs. Are there police officers who are jerks? Sure! There's also teachers, next door neighbors, doctors, etc who are jerks.
I'd call the precinct, talk to a supervisor, invite them over to take a look. Hell, I'd even have coffee brewing when they got there. These are the folks you want on YOUR side! What bad thing could possibly happen from being open and friendly with the police?

BRAVO

The reason they show up at odd times like at night or on the weekend is they are trying to catch the person during nonbusiness hours, so they are not expecting it.

DH is very bad about paperwork and such. When we moved he did not bother to change his address right away. Well he got into an accident where he hit a state trooper's car. The trooper was pulling out onto the highway to actually clsoe down the turnpike bc it was too icy. DH put on his brakes but skidded right into the officer. DH 's car was totaled, he was not fined bc it wasnt his fault, but they did an accident report and DH told them our new address.

Well lo and behold somehow they couldnt find us to serve us papers bc the cop and his wife were suing us. So the sheriffs office came knocking on our door finally after they found our new address although DH gave it to them at 8 am on Sat morning, trying to "catch" us before we went out so they could serve him.

I'd call the precinct, talk to a supervisor, invite them over to take a look. I'd even have coffee brewing when they got there. These are the folks you want on YOUR side! What bad thing could possibly happen from being open and friendly with the police?

I agree. Obviously, the officer last night and the car this morning are connected. I don't even blame them for not believing you. I'm sure they do get lied to a lot. I would just call, ask for a supervisor, explain the situation, and go from there.

I would have found the entire situation odd. I also would have called the PD that same night to verify that they had sent someone out for that reason. Doesn't make any sense to me that the police officer that night didn't leave any contact information. You never know if the guy was really a cop or someone looking to do some harm to that person.

Hmm. Sounds to me that the sheriff is waiting for a search warrant to be issued. Good luck.

Wow - thanks everyone for your concerned responses - I really appreciate them!

As it turned out, I watched the guy for about a half an hour more. I noted his license plate. Then I took my scarier looking dog on his leash and made like I was going to the mailbox - he drove away.

I called the township police and told them about the guy last night, and this guy this morning, and gave them the plate from this morning. I told her (dispatcher? whoever answers the non-emergency number) someone seemed to be looking for a previous resident of the house who had been gone for at least 5 years and who we didn't know. She said she would make a note of the incidents. She also said she would ask some of her colleagues to do a couple of unscheduled drive-bys on our street today. Finally, she said if anyone showed up on our property or at our curb again, please call the 911 number and they would send uniformed township police immediately. She said the town could insert themselves between whoever it was and us, whether they were legitimate or not. I guess my high taxes are actually paying for something!

Then I called DH and he yelled at me:mad: ! He said I shouldn't have called the police and he was sure it was nothing anyway (but then he also said I was stupid for going outside?!). Easy for him to say - he's not waddling around the house all day by himself with only the two dimwitted hounds to protect him!

We'll see if anyone else shows up.

Jane

Wow - thanks everyone for your concerned responses - I really appreciate them!

As it turned out, I watched the guy for about a half an hour more. I noted his license plate. Then I took my scarier looking dog on his leash and made like I was going to the mailbox - he drove away.

I called the township police and told them about the guy last night, and this guy this morning, and gave them the plate from this morning. I told her (dispatcher? whoever answers the non-emergency number) someone seemed to be looking for a previous resident of the house who had been gone for at least 5 years and who we didn't know. She said she would make a note of the incidents. She also said she would ask some of her colleagues to do a couple of unscheduled drive-bys on our street today. Finally, she said if anyone showed up on our property or at our curb again, please call the 911 number and they would send uniformed township police immediately. She said the town could insert themselves between whoever it was and us, whether they were legitimate or not. I guess my high taxes are actually paying for something!

Then I called DH and he yelled at me:mad: ! He said I shouldn't have called the police and he was sure it was nothing anyway (but then he also said I was stupid for going outside?!). Easy for him to say - he's not waddling around the house all day by himself with only the two dimwitted hounds to protect him!

We'll see if anyone else shows up.

Jane

Your husband yelled at you for checking on this situation? Hmmm....Why would he be upset you chose to contact the police?

FWIW I'm glad you contacted the authorities. Your township's offer to help is exactly what I was hoping for when I mentioned city manager/mayor.

Keep all the written details on the for awhile. Hope it's over, but if it's not it's always good to be able to give precise info.

No disrespect to your husband, but I can't for the life of me understand why he would be upset that you tried to get the situation straightened out. :confused3

that is really scary. I would have done the same thing that you did. I do not understand why your DH got mad at you though. . .

No disrespect to your husband, but I can't for the life of me understand why he would be upset that you tried to get the situation straightened out. :confused3

He accused me of having a pregnant woman hormonal thing! I dared him to say that to my face when he got home!

He thought I was over reacting and I had no reason to think last night and this morning were connected. He said the guy this morning was probably just doing some paperwork and randomly chose our house to stop in front of (for over an hour?). He thought calling the police was overkill.

As I mentioned in my PP, I told him to remember this the next time he complained about our high taxes - maybe it is nothing, but it was nice to get a little personalized service and reassurances from the town!

He's just cranky from dealing with his pregnant wife (or NOT dealing with her, if you catch my meaning!;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter