• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weird for wanting to go to WDW?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
Do any of your friends or family think you are weird for wanting to go to WDW over and over agin?

I had a friend over today and I told her I am going back to WDW and first she says, "YOU ARE OBSESSED!"

Then she said there are so many other things she'd spend the money on.

Then I ask her what she would spend the $$ on and she says, "Help (like nannies and house keepers - she has 4 small children ages 1, 2, 3 and 5.)

She apparently has been to WDW once and stayed at "some asian place" which I"m guessing she means the Polynesian. And she said it was bad food and a lot of crowds.

Anyway, I really don't appreciate being treated like I have a problem. It's not like I'm taking drugs, drinking, etc. Geez. It's only a vacation spot I enjoy going to so why do these people act like they are so superior? What if I said I love going to Hawaii every year? I wouldn't get nearly as much flack.

<vent over>

I never trust anyone who doesn't like WDW! :rotfl:

We get that all the time. I even love to help others plan their trips. I live vicariously through them!

Someone once said to us, "You do realize there are other places to see in this country." Yes of course. But my life is so stressful at times I love my biggest decision while I am on vacation to be - Do I go to Adventureland or Fantasyland today? :)

People that act superior about not "liking" WDW are just jealous and wish they could go as often as some of us. They also feel like they are missing out on the magic and need to be rude and condescending in order to justify their own shallowness.

Do any of your friends or family think you are weird for wanting to go to WDW over and over agin?

Yup - probably all of them. We don't care even a little bit. :rolleyes:

DH and I never set out to have WDW be our 1 big annual vacation, but after our first 2 week trip with our camper and our dogs at FW, we were pretty much hooked. We now go every year and have managed to finagle saving up to stretch it from 2 weeks to 3.

It's not even so much that we're into the whole "Disney thing" as we just have so much fun being together in a place where you can totally tune out the insanity outside world and go back to being a kid for a while.

What could possibly be wrong with that? :goodvibes

Yeah, this person is definitely locked into home. She said there is no way she will travel with 4 little ones. A vacation would be stressful for her because her nanny could not come with her (big bucks).

Maybe it is jealousy. I don't know but she did say crowds and bad food so maybe she just didn't know how to do it right.

Indeed.
I went
several times, and I feel that isn't enough.

I am raising my little princess to have fun her whole life, and enjoy every day.
She enjoys every thing she does, including disney. :laundy:

Some people are dreery and negative these days. Can't let that reach the children. :surfweb:

I think there was a thread on here about this a few years back.

We always get the same response. We visit 1-2 times a year, and our friends and coworkers always say, "what are you going to Disney again?" or "are you guys obsessed?" or are "you guys nuts?"

Who cares what they say. As long as you enjoy it, thats what matters!

It just really sucks when people basically say that I am wasting our $$ by going somewhere over and over again. Why is it a waste when I know I will have a good time?

Also, like the OP says, it is insulated from the outside world like no other vacation spot is. Well, I guess a place like Club Med might be. I've never been there. But there are no rides there!!!

If you are middle class or lower and you want to go to Disney repetitively during an economic downturn then, yes, it is weird. Otherwise if you are upper middle or better and can safely afford to go without making any major sacrifices then hell who cares what you do with your money. Give it to the mouse all you want - he doesn't mind!

A few of my neighbors found out we were going for 8 days last year. They thought we were crazy. What could we possibly do for 8 days? Why in the world would we want to do that? Course I think 8 days is not enough! I am not very close with them. Never thought they were my kind of people. After that I as sure of it. Hee hee.

If you are middle class or lower and you want to go to Disney repetitively during an economic downturn then, yes, it is weird. Otherwise if you are upper middle or better and can safely afford to go without making any major sacrifices then hell who cares what you do with your money. Give it to the mouse all you want - he doesn't mind!

What is considered middle class?

I can totally empathize with you. People can be so judgmental sometimes. It's really not anybody's business why we choose to frequent Disney. Most people I talk to just don't "get it" either. I can tell they are thinking to themselves that something is wrong with us for wanting to take yet another Disney trip. But I just try to explain to them that there is so much more to Disney than most people realize and that if you only go once or twice that you aren't even scratching the surface.

But I think people only see what they want to see. So trying to convince a non-believer will likely end in frustration. Not worth it, IMO.

This is a timely topic for me. We "just went to Disney" last summer and have just booked a Dec trip. No one but DH and I know yet (not even the kids!), but I know as soon as my co-workers find out, one in particular will say, "but you just went." She does not realize that I could go several times a year and still not do the same things twice. Every time it would be a different trip; sometimes we may opt for the water parks, we can stay at different resorts, go to different shows, etc. This particular co-worker and I also have differing opinions on DL vs. DW, but that is a subject for a different thread! :rotfl: She insists that DW is not for "little kids" and so refuses to consider going to DW. They opt for DL instead. Which is fine, but there is nothing wrong with taking little kids to DW, IMHO.

I'm of two minds.

I totally get wanting to go to WDW over and over again. I would go all the time if I was a local. Ideally, I would get to go every 5 years or so.

I don't get going every year and going no where else. Disney is an amazing one of a kind place that does help you totally escape the real world. But there are just too many other places in the USA and the rest of the world that I want to visit too.

So in my perfect world :-)rotfl2::rotfl2:) A new place once a year for 4 years then Disney on the 5th!

Right now I take the kids every other year but now that I have found all the wonderful money saving tips I will be trying to go every year. People think I'm wierd for all the planning I am doing 6 months before the trip but I don't care because I will get my ressies and have a great trip unlike people who don't plan, plus I love all the new things I find out about Disney everyday.

As for middle class.. I am a single mom with 3 kids that work very hard in school and sports and around the house so I sacrifice a little to take them and I think after all the hard work we all do we deserve it!!!

:laundy: :teacher: :surfweb::cheer2:

You know I have the same problem with people at work saying "why do you spend so much money to go to Cirque du Soleil's VIP events in Montreal when they open a new show, it's so expensive". Well, I turn it right around on them and say, "why do you spend so much money going to NASCAR races, or Boston Celtics games? It's what I choose to spend my money on, it's my thing, the NASCAR thing is your thing, end of story." They've stopped criticizing my choices for how I spend my money now (it's none of their *#%$ business anyhow).

We go every year, and we work very hard to be able to do so. We are a family with one child and these are years we will never get to re-live again. We know there will come a time (not too far off I imagine) when this little girl will no longer think Disney is the best place in the world. We choose to go year after year because we know she will grow up way too fast, and these are memories that will stay with her for the rest of her life. So when people say "You're going to Disney AGAIN?" I don't let it bother me, different things are important to different people.:goodvibes

All the time...

"Doesn't it get boring?"

"We just went we need something new."

"That's just pointless."

I get it all the time :} But I don't care I love it anyways.

:goodvibes

I had a friend over today and I told her I am going back to WDW and first she says, "YOU ARE OBSESSED!"

Then she said there are so many other things she'd spend the money on.

Then I ask her what she would spend the $$ on and she says, "Help (like nannies and house keepers - she has 4 small children ages 1, 2, 3 and 5.)

She apparently has been to WDW once and stayed at "some asian place" which I"m guessing she means the Polynesian. And she said it was bad food and a lot of crowds.

Anyway, I really don't appreciate being treated like I have a problem. It's not like I'm taking drugs, drinking, etc. Geez. It's only a vacation spot I enjoy going to so why do these people act like they are so superior? What if I said I love going to Hawaii every year? I wouldn't get nearly as much flack.

<vent over>

Wow!! This exactly like a lot of my friends and family!! Right down to saying a lot of the exact same things! I thought I was the only that lived around a bunch of fuddy duds that don't know how to let loose, find the long lost kid in them, and enjoy life now!! :lmao:

Ignore them and continue to enjoy your disney vacations. You will have many wonderful memories to cherish. And I wouldn't doubt it if maybe there's a touch of jealousy when it comes to this criticism :confused3. Know what I mean?

Wishing you many, many more wonderful wdw vacations! :goodvibes

P.S. It's your money. You earned it. Spend on what you want!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter