Weighted blanket

lilwendigirl

Earning My Ears
We have a 15lb weight blanket for our dd that she needs to sleep. We do not go anywhere without it- which hasn’t been a problem bc we haven’t flown in forever. We are flying to WDW. I know that she will have to have this blanket to sleep well thru the night ( and ensure we can have minimal tantrums and meltdowns during the day- let alone seizures- all which she has if she doesn’t sleep week). We were only paying for 3 suitcases bc, well it’s crazy expensive if you aren’t on SW. adding a 12 lb blanket to our luggage is going to put us over 50lbs easy. Not to mention it’s thick.
what do we do? Carry it on? Can I get an allowance or something b/c she has to have it?

Carryon would probably be my choice too, if it will fit in a carryon. But here are some other thoughts…

If you’re flying certain airlines (Delta, American, etc.) they give at least 1 free bag per person to people who have their credit card. I know several people who only have the Delta card for this benefit, and one who applied just days before flying and it was successful in getting them free bags., even though they didn’t have the card in hand yet. There are annual fees with these cards, but possibly cheaper than the bags fees, and often the first year fee is waived.

Alternatively, you could pack the blanket separately (it must be completely separate, in its own bag, with no other items) and ask for it to fly as medical equipment. I know people who do this with Cpap machines and overnight heart monitors. I don’t know anyone who’s tried a weighted blanket as medical equipment, but it might work.

And if you decide to pay to fly it as baggage, but sure to check whether your airline is cheaper to have an extra bag or an overweight bag. Last time I checked airlines differed on this policy.

I would cut down on the amount of clothing that you take and do laundry mid way to be able to fit the blanket in the amount of bags that you have.

I would contact TSA Cares and ask them about it. If she has a prescription from her doctor for the blanket due to her disability, I would also mention that. Make sure you note the date, time, and agent you speak to at TSA Cares.

I would contact TSA Cares and ask them about it. If she has a prescription from her doctor for the blanket due to her disability, I would also mention that. Make sure you note the date, time, and agent you speak to at TSA Cares.

I’m not what your suggesting contacting the TSA to ask. Whether it is allowed as carry-on? I cannot think of any reason it wouldn’t be - they aren’t mentioned specifically but blankets, electric blankets and sleeping bags are allowed in both carry-on and checked luggage.

As far I as I know, it is not within the Transportation Security Administration’s mandate to control whether or not an airline charges for luggage or what size/weight restrictions they have. So, not sure what contacting them would do (if this is what you are thinking).

We have a 15lb weight blanket for our dd that she needs to sleep. We do not go anywhere without it- which hasn’t been a problem bc we haven’t flown in forever. We are flying to WDW. I know that she will have to have this blanket to sleep well thru the night ( and ensure we can have minimal tantrums and meltdowns during the day- let alone seizures- all which she has if she doesn’t sleep week). We were only paying for 3 suitcases bc, well it’s crazy expensive if you aren’t on SW. adding a 12 lb blanket to our luggage is going to put us over 50lbs easy. Not to mention it’s thick.
what do we do? Carry it on? Can I get an allowance or something b/c she has to have it?

Buy one online and have it shipped to your hotel.

I’m not what your suggesting contacting the TSA to ask. Whether it is allowed as carry-on? I cannot think of any reason it wouldn’t be - they aren’t mentioned specifically but blankets, electric blankets and sleeping bags are allowed in both carry-on and checked luggage.

As far I as I know, it is not within the Transportation Security Administration’s mandate to control whether or not an airline charges for luggage or what size/weight restrictions they have. So, not sure what contacting them would do (if this is what you are thinking).
TSA Cares is a special division for people who are disabled or traveling with medical conditions. They are the best possible to person to advise on carrying something like this on, how to check it as medical equipment, etc.

TSA Cares is a special division for people who are disabled or traveling with medical conditions. They are the best possible to person to advise on carrying something like this on, how to check it as medical equipment, etc.
I disagree with both of you.
We‘ve used TSA Cares multiple times. They will help facilitate going thru Security or with Security Questions.
This is copied from the TSA Cares questionnaire regarding things they can help with:
  • Difficulty standing or waiting in line
  • Difficulty following instructions
  • Mobility limitations including difficulty standing, walking or lifting your arms
  • Use of mobility aids or support devices
  • Internal/external devices or other concerns that may affect your ability to use screening technology
  • Transporting medically necessary liquids, gels, aerosols over 3.4oz
  • Traveling with a service animal
  • Difficulty understanding and communicating in English
  • Religious or cultural items
  • Religious headwear or garments
  • A Tribal traveler with cultural, sacred items and/or regalia
  • Concerns regarding screening for transgender and gender diverse individuals
TSA Cares

Whether an airline will allow an item to be checked as medical equipment is up to the airline. The airline decides whether or not it’s medical equipment that can be transported without payment or counting towards bag allowance.
If it is packed in a checked bag, it will be checked before going thru security and TSA will have nothing to do with it.
If it’s in a carry on, it will go thru the x-ray machine. TSA won’t be concerned about it as long as it doesn’t contain any hazardous or prohibited material. Once it’s past Security, TSA doesn’t have anything to do with it whether the airline will say if it’s too big or heavy to be placed in the overhead bin.

I would suggest contacting the special services/disability services department of the airline with the questions.

I disagree with both of you.
We‘ve used TSA Cares multiple times. They will help facilitate going thru Security or with Security Questions.
This is copied from the TSA Cares questionnaire regarding things they can help with:
  • Difficulty standing or waiting in line
  • Difficulty following instructions
  • Mobility limitations including difficulty standing, walking or lifting your arms
  • Use of mobility aids or support devices
  • Internal/external devices or other concerns that may affect your ability to use screening technology
  • Transporting medically necessary liquids, gels, aerosols over 3.4oz
  • Traveling with a service animal
  • Difficulty understanding and communicating in English
  • Religious or cultural items
  • Religious headwear or garments
  • A Tribal traveler with cultural, sacred items and/or regalia
  • Concerns regarding screening for transgender and gender diverse individuals
TSA Cares

Whether an airline will allow an item to be checked as medical equipment is up to the airline. The airline decides whether or not it’s medical equipment that can be transported without payment or counting towards bag allowance.
If it is packed in a checked bag, it will be checked before going thru security and TSA will have nothing to do with it.
If it’s in a carry on, it will go thru the x-ray machine. TSA won’t be concerned about it as long as it doesn’t contain any hazardous or prohibited material. Once it’s past Security, TSA doesn’t have anything to do with it whether the airline will say if it’s too big or heavy to be placed in the overhead bin.

I would suggest contacting the special services/disability services department of the airline with the questions.

That’s what I was thinking. They’d be helpful if you didn’t know if the blanket was allowed on the plane (either carry-on or checked) but have I didn’t think that they’d have any say in the airline allowing it and/or charging extra for it. But I was wondering if maybe I didn’t understand what the PP’s were suggesting the OP ask TSA Cares.

The airline are who the OP needs to contact.

That’s what I was thinking. They’d be helpful if you didn’t know if the blanket was allowed on the plane (either carry-on or checked) but have I didn’t think that they’d have any say in the airline allowing it and/or charging extra for it. But I was wondering if maybe I didn’t understand what the PP’s were suggesting the OP ask TSA Cares.

The airline are who the OP needs to contact.
As long as it doesn’t contain any prohibited items, TSA would have nothing to say about whether it can be carried aboard the plane.

As pp said it’s a good idea to just carry it on incase your luggage gets lost.
Just buy a small roll aboard suite case that fits under the seat.

Given how much you say you need it, I would not check it. I would figure out a way to carry it on the plane.

you need to figure a way to have the blanket in a carry on. what would you do if it is in the case that does not make your flight or ends up on the wrong flight and takes a couple of day to catch up with you. see if her doctor will make it medically needed

you need to figure a way to have the blanket in a carry on. what would you do if it is in the case that does not make your flight or ends up on the wrong flight and takes a couple of day to catch up with you. see if her doctor will make it medically needed

I really don't think that you need a doctors note for a blanket. My kids have carried on their blankets in the past without issue. It is a hassle actually carrying around such a heavy blanket. TSA is going to screen the heck out of it though. Since most have plastic pellets, it is going to look funny on the scanner. That is why I recommend checking it. The bag will probably be opened and the blanket checked out, but that is less of a hassle then the TSA agents going to the gate. You get an uneducated one that has never heard of a weighted blanket and it will be a mess.

I really don't think that you need a doctors note for a blanket. My kids have carried on their blankets in the past without issue. It is a hassle actually carrying around such a heavy blanket. TSA is going to screen the heck out of it though. Since most have plastic pellets, it is going to look funny on the scanner. That is why I recommend checking it. The bag will probably be opened and the blanket checked out, but that is less of a hassle then the TSA agents going to the gate. You get an uneducated one that has never heard of a weighted blanket and it will be a mess.
from what mother said would be bad if daughter didnt have. checking still run the risk of bag not making flight as has happened to us. took a couple of days with an evening arrival, 2 nights

from what mother said would be bad if daughter didnt have. checking still run the risk of bag not making flight as has happened to us. took a couple of days with an evening arrival, 2 nights

Yes there is always a risk. There is also a risk that you get a TSA agent that is clueless and they confiscate the blanket depending on what is inside. If it were a normal blanket there would be zero issues. The fact that it is weighted is what might be an issue. The good news is that Florida is not some deserted Island. If something happens, they can easily go to the store and buy a new one.

Buy one online and have it shipped to your hotel.
Target and Amazon both deliver to Disney resorts. Last trip, the weighted blanket we wanted was on sale at Target and delivery was free, so we went that route. I'll look in a couple of weeks and figure out which vendor will be most economical for our Easter trip.

Yes there is always a risk. There is also a risk that you get a TSA agent that is clueless and they confiscate the blanket depending on what is inside. If it were a normal blanket there would be zero issues. The fact that it is weighted is what might be an issue. The good news is that Florida is not some deserted Island. If something happens, they can easily go to the store and buy a new one.
which could work depending child/adult child involved to use a new one. if that would work with this person think I would but one to be shipped to resort and then check bag home where the other one is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter