Weight Watchers Chat -- Part III

Question: Does anyone plan on counting points or calories while on vacation at Disney?

Question: Does anyone plan on counting points or calories while on vacation at Disney?

We won't, my husband and I agreed we may enter just out of habit but won't really count or be crazy about it... I eat everything in site on vacation it will be a break for me!

One of my favorites: Variety of squash (I did yellow winter, green winter, and eggplant this time) cut up to fill 9x13 pan halfway. You can add any of the following if you want: pint of sliced mushrooms, one chopped up green pepper, one chopped onion, a couple cloves of garlic chopped. Drizzle some olive oil over top and stir all together. Top with two cans of Ro-Tel tomatoes (the spicier the better for me). Bake about an hour at 350°. Makes about eight servings. Sometimes I eat it as my vegetable, add some seasonings if I want. Other times I turn it into my main dish by adding chicken breast, ground turkey, or 93% (or higher) ground beef. I made a batch this week and Thursday I sprinkled McCormick Parmesan Herb seasoning on it -- Was this ever good! (After eating from the baking dish for a few days, I will freeze the rest in individual servings. It freezes fine for me.)

Sorry that I can't tell you the points on this. I switched to Simply Fillling in November. Everything here is either a power food or 0 points.

If someone had told me three years ago that I'd be excited about squash, I would have wondered what planet they came from.

We took our bathroom scale with us last time so we could keep an eye on our weight. (The blessing of driving is we can tote these kinds of things with us, along with lots of healthy snacks and breakfast food and water.) I only gained three pounds on that trip. Did I watch what I ate? Not really, but if I wasn't enjoying it, I didn't finish it. I constantly asked myself, "Is it worth it?" A soft pretzel went into the trash after three bites. Dinner at BOG was awful (I ordered the pork and it was horribly dry and yet not fully cooked!) so it was left behind. The cinnamon bun at Gaston's that I'd been eagerly waiting for turned into four snacks -- it was ok, but a few bites was enough at one time. At the buffets, I ate what I wanted without regard to points. I did make a conscious decision to major on vegetables and minor on sweets for the whole trip. We don't get the DDP so that eliminates the constant onslaught of desserts. Did I track? Nope. Am I going to track on this next trip? Nope! Am I going to overindulge just because I'm not tracking? Nope! I plan to nibble my way around the food booths at the F&GF and enjoy those nibbles. I don't have as many ADRs scheduled this trip (only five for ten days) so I have the freedom to eat the little things I see that I want instead. There is one thing I know I will probably overindulge on -- corn bread! I know it is on dinner buffet at Cape May Cafe (our first ADR) and the breakfast buffet at Trail's End (our last ADR). I'd rather have that than any desserts I can think of!

Amen to Cornbread! I love it. I have no plan to keep track of any foods. But...I think, like you, that I may not eat a whole portion of something. I'm going to mindful but not deprive myself of whatever I want. I'm going to eat tonga toast and try the Cronut's. I am going to eat cream cheese and Jalepeno stuffed pretzels. Dole whip....yes! And anything Apple/ fruit crisp! And...when I get home...right back on track...no exceptions. For me that will be key. I have to have a plan and stick with it otherwise one week turns into two, then a month and before you know it a year has passed and all the weight is back on. Slippery slope! To all of you out there who struggle with food addiction....I feel you!

I would never count points while on vacation. But then, the amount of walking you do while at the parks probably cancels out a lot of the extra points you eat.

I rarely gain weight on vacation, but rather just maintain it.

Yeah, the walking is definitely a factor. I can't walk, I have knee issues, so I have to use a scooter. I'm just going to have fun and worry about the weight when I get back. Spring in almost in the air, and with daylight savings it will seem more like spring every day. Staying Excited!

Geez, I can't even remember when Daylight Savings is!!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather so that I'll be able to go outside for walks. For the past few weeks I've been walking down 15 flights of stairs and up 5 in place of a 2-3km walk. Not nearly as much fun.

Winter can get out of here!!

:wave: After months of trying and failing to lose the weight I've gained since last summer (another 10 on top of the 30 extra pounds I was already carting around), I went back to WW last night. It's been about 8 years since I attended a WW meeting. I keep thinking I can do it on my own but it never works out (sort of like me, lol).

Things have changed but not by too much. I like the App and the website a lot. I was a bit shocked to see the points value of some of my favorite restaurant meals when I put the nutritional info into the calculator :(. I love the little scanner function on the app. DD was scanning everything this morning and yelling out point totals from the kitchen! :cheer2: Working at a desk all day and the horrible winter we've had are my current excuses since you can't call it baby weight when "baby" is 12. I need motivation and nice weather, and not necessarily in that order. C'mon Spring!!!
I have a trip planned to FL Keys and then Universal/WDW coming up in 3 weeks and was hoping to be less pooh: and more :tinker: I want to get a fitbit or similar to keep track of my activity. Any recommendations?

:wave: After months of trying and failing to lose the weight I've gained since last summer (another 10 on top of the 30 extra pounds I was already carting around), I went back to WW last night. It's been about 8 years since I attended a WW meeting. I keep thinking I can do it on my own but it never works out (sort of like me, lol).

Things have changed but not by too much. I like the App and the website a lot. I was a bit shocked to see the points value of some of my favorite restaurant meals when I put the nutritional info into the calculator :(. I love the little scanner function on the app. DD was scanning everything this morning and yelling out point totals from the kitchen! :cheer2: Working at a desk all day and the horrible winter we've had are my current excuses since you can't call it baby weight when "baby" is 12. I need motivation and nice weather, and not necessarily in that order. C'mon Spring!!!
I have a trip planned to FL Keys and then Universal/WDW coming up in 3 weeks and was hoping to be less pooh: and more :tinker: I want to get a fitbit or similar to keep track of my activity. Any recommendations?

Congrats on getting back on the WW wagon! It's not easy! I have a Fitbit flex and like it for the most part, it synchs to the WW app which is nice. However it doesn't track my steps great when I'm pushing the stroller (but not sure that's an issue for you!) I also love the scanner I use it while food shopping and don't even buy the bad stuff!

Good luck!

I need to get back on the wagon I totally let this week go to hell! Oh well just looking forward not back! I did turn down black & white cookies today!

Hi Sharona, welcome to our group here. We haven't been as active as we used to be. When I joined WW, I joked that I was losing my baby weight -- however, my baby was 30 and had already been going for two weeks when I decided to join up with her. I've had a tough time since November but started losing again last month and then boom, this week, nada. Well that's better than up (which is the way it had been going since November). We also have a trip planned in about three weeks (but might have to cancel).

As for a recommendation, I don't use any fitness gadgets, so can't give you input there.

Congrats on getting back on the WW wagon! It's not easy! I have a Fitbit flex and like it for the most part, it synchs to the WW app which is nice. However it doesn't track my steps great when I'm pushing the stroller (but not sure that's an issue for you!) I also love the scanner I use it while food shopping and don't even buy the bad stuff!

Good luck!

I need to get back on the wagon I totally let this week go to hell! Oh well just looking forward not back! I did turn down black & white cookies today!

Thanks! I wonder the fitbit is off because your hands are not making the same movements you normally would when walking without the stroller? Good job on turning down the cookies. I managed to stay on track yesterday. Felt good about it. Ignored the fudge (yes, I said fudge) that my cousin sent to me and my mom as a thank you for some support we gave her. Asked my mom to take it away.

Hi Sharona, welcome to our group here. We haven't been as active as we used to be. When I joined WW, I joked that I was losing my baby weight -- however, my baby was 30 and had already been going for two weeks when I decided to join up with her. I've had a tough time since November but started losing again last month and then boom, this week, nada. Well that's better than up (which is the way it had been going since November). We also have a trip planned in about three weeks (but might have to cancel).

As for a recommendation, I don't use any fitness gadgets, so can't give you input there.

Thanks for the welcome! Not sure where you're located but for me, this winter was particularly tough to even get outside to walk the dog. He and I have both been couch potatoes for a few months. Now that I'm (gasp) 50, it's a struggle to even lose 1 lb. I feel like I've been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. for months. I hope you can take your trip!

I'm 59 and my leader is probably over 65! She used to be a teacher and is full of energy. I am in south central PA in the mountains. It has been way too cold to walk.

Thanks! I wonder the fitbit is off because your hands are not making the same movements you normally would when walking without the stroller? Good job on turning down the cookies. I managed to stay on track yesterday. Felt good about it. Ignored the fudge (yes, I said fudge) that my cousin sent to me and my mom as a thank you for some support we gave her. Asked my mom to take it away.

Thanks for the welcome! Not sure where you're located but for me, this winter was particularly tough to even get outside to walk the dog. He and I have both been couch potatoes for a few months. Now that I'm (gasp) 50, it's a struggle to even lose 1 lb. I feel like I've been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. for months. I hope you can take your trip!

It does pick up some steps just not all of them. Example there is a loop we do on the weekends sometimes it's 1.8 miles and when I push the stroller I get about 500-1000 less then the days when DH pushes the stroller. I googled it and its a known issues with the flex, I wish I got the zip now :(. Oh well!

I need to get back on track today, I was so bad last week and I gained a little nothing crazy but I only have 5 weeks till Disney and I would like to loss a little more before we leave. If I'm good the next few weeks it should be do able.

Good luck to everyone have a great day!

I have the Fitbit Charge, and I find it doesn't calculate stairs well at all.

Some days it tells me I've climbed 8 sets when I know I haven't, and other days I WILL have climbed those 8 sets and it will only say 4-5.

Step wise, though, I find the Charge pretty good. Although I don't have a stroller. :)

Hello fellow "goal setters"! I'm not doing WW, I'm a myfitnesspal gal. But...we are all in the same situation. Here to support and encourage everyone with the struggle. EASTER....bah.....candy everywhere. I try not to look at it when I go to the store. The fitnesspal app is free and as long as you are honest in charting your food, it does work really well. I started in Nov. and have lost 40 pounds so far. I average about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds weekly. I'm pretty much hungry all of the time. I watch that show, my 600 pound life....has anyone seen it? It really gives you perspective on what can happen if you just eat whatever you want. I've been doing that for about two years straight. My knees are giving out, so had to do something....finally. Knees are better but did have to use a EVC last Disney trip. So winter has been awful here in NH and because of my knees, I have to be so careful when I do walk....lots of ice this year. I have 40 more pounds to loose before my November trip. I can't say it is any easier but I have been able to have a treat, everynight. That helps a great deal, I don't feel deprived. I eat the jello sugar free puddings and jello and plain yogurt with fruit. I just want to encourage everyone to keep at it...it will pay off eventually. Be strong...it's not easy. Everyday is a struggle!

Made it through my first week of WW without going over my points! Even have some bonus points or whatever they're called and some activity points leftover! I've tried to stay off my scale this week so not sure how it'll go tomorrow at weigh in. I'll be disappointed if I didn't lose a pound or two but since I have PMS, it's possible... going to wear my lightest clothes, lol.

Made it through my first week of WW without going over my points! Even have some bonus points or whatever they're called and some activity points leftover! I've tried to stay off my scale this week so not sure how it'll go tomorrow at weigh in. I'll be disappointed if I didn't lose a pound or two but since I have PMS, it's possible... going to wear my lightest clothes, lol.

Congrats! The first week is hard!!! I hope weigh in goes well, but more importantly how do you feel?? I always try to ask myself do I feel good? Do I feel healthy that's as important (to me) if not more important then the numbers!

I've been bad this week every day I start tracking and then after lunch I get a snack and its all down hill! This is my fault because last week I let myself cheat now I'm having trouble getting back on track!!!

Congrats! The first week is hard!!! I hope weigh in goes well, but more importantly how do you feel?? I always try to ask myself do I feel good? Do I feel healthy that's as important (to me) if not more important then the numbers!
Very good points! The whole purpose of loosing is to feel better. There are times your body just wants to hold onto that pound and then the next week you loose two. It can be a pitfall.....so good luck with your weigh-in...but if you have stayed within your points the weight will come off, maybe not till week two. Hang in there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter