• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

weight watcher points at disney

zendisney

<font color=deeppink>The Dis is like potato chips.
I was wondering if anybody out there is involved in weight watchers and has experience with "point values" at Disney. I just joined weight watchers and I am trying to really stick with it. Thought I would ask because we will be at wdw in July. Any tips feedback will be appreciated.:goodvibes

Wow! I really admire your determination to "stick with it!" I'm on WW too - planning a trip in August.

I'm not sure about the points, but you can probably figure some out by looking at the recipes. Here's a link to the recipe board on here...

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103

BTW, be sure to allow some extra points for all that walking! :goodvibes

Good luck!

I did a little searching, but it doesn't look like the point values are known for any WDW restaurants. Most of the other threads suggested switching to the core plan or just trying to make good choices instead of counting points. The good news is, with all that walking you should be able to burn off lots of extra calories!
Two of the things I would do are breakfast in the room (to skip the huge breakfast platters you'll get at any restaurant you choose) and skip dessert unless it's something you can't live without.

There were some good tips in this thread:
http://www.passporterboards.com/for.../87879-weight-watchers-walt-disney-world.html

Been doing WW for a year 75lbs lost. Going to Disney in Sept. I also go the gym on a regular basis so that helps. I went to the Smokeys for vacation last year. Did not even try to stay on plan. Did not over eat though. Watched my portions and drank lots of water. My sister teaches WW and she goes to Disney every year. She says it's a vacation enjoy yourself. Remember you're walking a lot and that really helps. I was afraid when I got home from last years vacation but I actually lost 2 lbs that week. Enjoy yourself and go straight back on plan when you get home and you should be fine.

Kudos to you for sticking to points at WDW! I plan to mostly ditch points for our week there. I figure all the walking will help rationalize that! :rotfl: 11 pounds until goal here! :woohoo:

Honestly, I'd rather not know, it is vacation after all. For me the hardest part is always getting back on the wagon when I get home.

I am on ww as well! I have been on almost a year and have lost 75lbs also! Yay! I am leaving for orlando on the 11th of May and going to seaworld and universal. Then October 26th we are doing 11 nights in wdw. Like you, I was trying to figure out points, etc. But I am just going to accept if I have a small gain. I signed up for the deluxe dining plan and will definately be over my points, but hoping it balances out with all the walking, etc. that we will be doing. I am very close to goal (or the one that my dr gave me -- 15 more lbs to go) and was freaked out by actually gaining on the May trip. But I am going to enjoy myself!

If this helps my plan is to take trail mix for the room and eat that for breakfast with a glass of milk.

I am on WW and took a very conservative approach when I went to WDW earlier this year. I compiled a list of foods that appear on the menus available online and their approximate point values. I tried to stay within my point range and did fairly well. Good luck!

I have pretty much done every diet out there at Disney until my last trip when I just decided to go and have fun. I try to eat low carb, similar to WW core plan, and anyone that has ever low carbed and then stopped knows that you gain back weight VERY quickly when you stop omitting the healthy carbs and eat..well most Disney food! We were on the Dining plan and I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted with desserts and snacks and everything. It was like a total pig out carb fest! Well when I got back I weighed in and only gained 2 pounds. It was all the walking!! I would go, not count points (this is nearly impossible to do there due to serving sizes and such) and just try to make healthy choices like grilled instead of fried, fruit instead of ice cream and drink lots of water. There are plenty of choices that are healthy all around you there and if you make the right choices you might even lose weight! Enjoy yourself and allow yourself to indulge a couple times during the trip, it's a vacation!! Even if you gain a pound or two it's not the end of your new way of eating, just more reason to get back on track when you get home. Remember that WW is not a diet, it is teaching you to make better choices so you can live life and enjoy it and not feel deprived. Even in every day life you will indulge now and then and it's ok!

I would try and do a "Core' kind of approach- I know they call it Simply Filling or something now- its week 6,ask for it at your mtg-

I am on WW and took a very conservative approach when I went to WDW earlier this year. I compiled a list of foods that appear on the menus available online and their approximate point values. I tried to stay within my point range and did fairly well. Good luck!

I'm trying to do the same thing. You wouldn't be able to post some of foods you figured up point values for, would you? I'm sure it would help some of us out on the boards.

I've went to Disney World the last two years, each time taking a break from weight watchers and gained weight both times (5lbs the first time and 7lbs last time). I've just restarted weight watchers last month and I really don't want to fall off the wagon again. I'm also planning to bring my fitness dvd with me this trip and try to do it each night before bed.

Mel

I'm on Weight Watchers too - three months and counting. I've actually been a member on and off for 12 years! (lost 100 pounds after my son was born - currently working on 20 extra I have)

I am choosing to be prepared for my trip (5 more days! :cool1:) and I went on allears.net and printed out the menus for my ADR choices. I've been looking at them and plan on studying them on the plane ride. I've been on vacations in the past where I ate leaves while everyone else had yummy vacation food and I don't plan on feeling deprived this time- BUT I will be informed! I am approximating the points values as best I can, based on serving size visuals from the meeting materials. (also, have you checked out Dotti's weight loss zone? She has menus from practically EVERYWHERE - not WDW but there are some great places to make comparisons) I'm also bringing along packets of salad dressing (2 points each!) that Kraft makes - so when I do choose to have a salad (Hello, Brown Derby Cobb) I can keep it healthy.

Did you see the new POINTS pedometer? You can set it to "active" mode to see how many POINTS you burn while walking! This will be a huge encouragement for me. Even though I might not be able to 100% know how many POINTS there are in the food at WDW I can give it my best guess, and seeing how many activity POINTS I earn will keep me motivated. My goal is to at the very least maintain. I didn't need WW because of too many vacations! It's a lifestyle, a commitment, so stay on track and you'll feel great. The most awesome thing about WW is that NOTHING is forbidden - you just have to watch portions. SO go ahead and indulge a little (I plan on it!) and make healthy decisions. I'll let you know how I did when I get back! :cheer2:

I just found this thread. I have been a member of Weight Watchers for 2 months now and have lost 12 pounds. I am going to Disney for 10 days in July and am worried about the food. I see there hasn't been any more posts since 5/2/09. Has anyone figured out points values for anything or have some ideas for sticking with it while at Disney?

Would you mind sharing. I am also on WW and the last time I went to WDW I was able to find that the Mickey Ears Ice Cream calculated to 7pts. I took my pt calculator with me. Other than that I looked at menus before meals and looked for comparables on the WW site.

I ate bfast in room (brought 3pts cereal wiht me) and then drank lots of water

Good Luck the walking does help. :woohoo:

Hi there! I've been doing WW for almost 4 years, and we have our trip planned for July, also.

I've not seen points values listed anywhere, but you might go to the WW boards and see if you can find any information there.

The way I've approached this situations is to go with what I know and to not expect perfection. For instance, if you go to breakfast, you know that fruit is great and low in points. Scrambled eggs aren't to bad, but you start to pack on the points with things like waffles and syrup and sausages and bacon.

For lunches and dinners, you look for "grilled." Grilled chicken, steak, fish, etc. You avoid the fries and see if they can't serve fruit or salad with it. Basically, you do what you'd do at home for the most part.

Some places will be more difficult than others, and then you make a choice. We'll be doing 50s Prime Time and Sci Fi. Well, I've heard that Sci-Fi has great burgers, so I'm going to plan to eat a fattening burger, but that means that I'm making the choice to have the grilled chicken sandwich at 50s Prime Time. Though I'll be eating there on different days, I don't plan to go all out so I have to decide which is more important.

We'll also eat at Teppan Edo and Tutto Italia. For Teppan Edo you again look for veggies and lean meats; skip the noodles and rice if you can. For Tutto Italia, I'll look for an entree that's not a cream sauce entree.

See what I mean?

I have been on Weight Watchers for 6 months, but I am going to relax my stance a bit on my food and wine festival trip.

But a month after I joined WW, I had the Adventures by Disney trip to California. Most of the inclusive meals were buffets. The other meals, I used my best judgment to keep to smaller portions than what I was served. Here's what I did:

Buffets:
Walk the perimeter of the buffet and check out all items before picking up a plate. Don't skip the "bad" stuff if you really want it, but take a small portion of it. And if you make return trips to the buffet, choose veggies or fruits, aka the "filling foods".

Counter Service:
There's usually a healthier option than burgers or hot dogs, so I tend to choose those things. Instead of fries, ask for their healthy option, which is usually a pack of baby carrots or apple slices.

Snacks:
All the parks have fruit and veggie stands. Find them. I like to hit the stand near the Kilimanjaro Safari at AK.

Full Service:
Before you order, check out the menu. Avoid breaded or fried foods, if possible. And when you get the meal, look at the portion. Most often, you're served double what we're supposed to eat. While the little girl in me who was a member of the Clean Plate Club hates to leave food, I had to condition myself to think it's ok to do so. When you order something like a mac and cheese entree (which I did at the Uva Cafe in DLR's Downtown Disney), I ate half and was satisfied. I didn't deprive myself if I wanted something that wasn't entirely "healthy".

And when you want to indulge...go for it. But also look for opportunities to get more activity in. Walk another lap around World Showcase Lagoon. ;)

The important thing is that you're still having fun. I'm definitely going to do a lot of splurging during my October trip, but I know that I'll get back on track when my trip is over.

Just wanted to share some :goodvibes from a UK WeightWatcher!

I have to be honest though I am not planning on counting points whilst we are at WDW but like lots of posters here have said the whole ethos of Weight Watchers is to teach you to make good choices to be able to maintain a healthy weight. I am a little worried as when my brother (also a WW) was in Florida last year he put on about 10lb - he blames the cheese!

Well done to everyone who is going to WW whether just starting or nearly at goal (only 4.5lbs to go!!!) and remember it is a lifestyle choice not a diet, and slow and steady wins the race!

:grouphug:

My yearly trip to Disney is one of the few times a year when I don't count points. I just enjoy, relax, and find that I still make some what better choices anyway.

But even when I totally pig out on the trip I find that I have only gained about 3 pounds when I get back, I can live with that and just hop right back on the program the next day.

Life is too short not to indulge yourself on your vacation.

:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter