Weight restrictions on luggage for Southwest Airlines?

Susan Prescott

Cool Cruiser
My husband & I are leaving in the AM on a Southwest flight to Orlando. We were wondering if anyone knows if there are any weight restrictions on the regular luggage as our suitcase is quite heavy. Thanks for any info. Susan:wave2:

Originally posted by Susan Prescott
My husband & I are leaving in the AM on a Southwest flight to Orlando. We were wondering if anyone knows if there are any weight restrictions on the regular luggage as our suitcase is quite heavy. Thanks for any info. Susan:wave2:

Max weight per bag 70 pounds. 3 checked pieces, 1 carry-on plus personal bag and unlimited disability assistive/mobility-related carry-ons.

I have my Southwest papers in front of me, it states that the luggage cannot be more than 70 pounds each.

I see Lynda was posting as I was reading my Southwest papers and posting.

Thank you so much for your responses. Since I'm not sure how much my bag weighs, I think I'll split it up just to be safe. I was just trying to consolidate but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again.

Sue

Originally posted by Verandah Man

I see Lynda was posting as I was reading my Southwest papers and posting.

I'm flying Southwest in a couple of weeks ....the info. was right on the tip of my fingers...;)

Wow, they must have changed. I thought EVERYONE changed to 50 pounds maximum per bag on July 1. I flew Southwest at the end of June and they were warning everyone it was changing to 50 pounds. I flew America West after July 1 and it was 50 pounds for sure.

Originally posted by tvguy
Wow, they must have changed. I thought EVERYONE changed to 50 pounds maximum per bag on July 1. I flew Southwest at the end of June and they were warning everyone it was changing to 50 pounds. I flew America West after July 1 and it was 50 pounds for sure.

Their website still gives the 70# information. Guess they did not change.

Yeah, as I recall now the 50 pound restriction was part of the union contract the baggage handlers had. I just checked America West, United, Delta, and American's websites....all union airlines...and they have the 50 pound limit. Southwest, which is non-union has the 70 pound limit.

I had to take 3 emergency trips this year at the last minute and booked Southwest blindly assuming they would be the cheapest. They were $50 cheaper if you booked well in advance, but with a weeks notice they were double what America West was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter