• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weight loss while cruising

Deck6crew

Earning My Ears
Believe it or not, I actually lost about 3 lbs. during the cruise. No, I never skipped a meal, in fact I ate more than I do at home. What did it for me was taking the stairs rather than elevator 99% of the time. That and not snacking between meals or eating my kids' leftovers. 0:

Just posting in case this helps someone. Boycott those elevators!! :-)

I also took the stairs a lot on our previous cruise and it helped me to come home without weight gain!

My fitbit kept me sane. Had to work hard for those 10,000 steps doing laps around each deck.

They say the average cruiser gains 1 lb per cruise day. I assume buffet users are worse.

We also took the stairs the majority of the time. I know I was getting a workout because the next day my calves were kind of sore and I exercise on a regular basis. As for food I don't eat much red meat anyhow so I always ordered fish/seafood or chicken dishes. I ate a ton of peel and eat shrimp!! My thought was if I go light on main course I can have dessert:cool1: sometimes I would get the sugar free dessert. Some aren't that bad, but then some aren't that good;)

I didn't gain any weight on our last cruise (7 night). In addition to not using the elevator I don't go to the buffet and just eat in the MDRs and take advantage of the fitness classes on board.

Believe it or not, I actually lost about 3 lbs. during the cruise. No, I never skipped a meal, in fact I ate more than I do at home. What did it for me was taking the stairs rather than elevator 99% of the time. That and not snacking between meals or eating my kids' leftovers. 0:

Just posting in case this helps someone. Boycott those elevators!! :-)
All I have to say is, Your amazing! That is not easy to do.

I used the stairs almost exclusively on my cruise and still managed to come home 4 pounds heavier from a 3 night cruise. I blame the All Hands on Deck platter and my dinner at Palo.

I also lost weight on my last cruise by using stairs a lot and mainly sticking to water or tea the whole trip. I'd have my cheat drink maybe once or twice throughout the cruise but mainly stayed away from the pop and juices. I brought a bobble to keep on refilling at the pool deck with water :)

Me too! My husband, on the other hand, always gains weight on a cruise.

My time on a cruise is spent going here, going there, doing this and that, and OH MY GOSH, look at all that cut up fruit that looks so tasty, and all that salad and fixings, and oh wow, fish, yummy fish, that isn't stinking up my kitchen! This is what my brain says on a cruise, and I love that someone else is preparing all these things for me. I am pretty sure I eat a year's worth of fruit, vegetables and seafood on a 7 day cruise.

My husband, however, is mesmerized by all the meat and the bed. Eat meat, take a nap. Repeat constantly. Let the wife go here and there, while the husband takes a nap. Cruises are eating and sleeping fests for him.

At home, I have a lot more time where I sit, be it in front of the computer, working, or just on the phone. I hardly ever sit while on a cruise, as there is too much I feel compelled to experience.

I believe that I need to be on a cruise for a few months as a weight-loss program. This would work for me. :cool1:

I found that limiting adult beverages helps too. Spritzers and Bloody Mary's or Caesars are always good. Then, if you have a second drink, make it a sparkling water with lemon or lime.

Thanks to all you stair users - one of our sons uses a wheelchair and we really appreciate when people take the stairs to free up space...glad you are seeing another benefit!

I lose weight also - and believe me, I still feel like I am indulging! I find the portions aren't too big, so I can enjoy having >1 course without eating too much. I'm also lactose intolerant and DCL prepares some delicious meals that...without the lactose...are actually quite modest in calories. And with all the pre-cut fruits and veggies, it's easy to make good choices.

But believe me...I still indulge!

I somehow manage to lose weight on all our sailings despite eating until I can't move. I take a mix of elevators and stairs, drink lot's of soda and eat almost constantly on board. Mmm... shwarma!

Of course, the trick is to use up more calories than you take in. We always seem to go on all-day excursions that involve a lot of activiy/walking. I lost 6 pounds on our last Med sailing somehow and boy, did we eat on that trip!

I somehow manage to lose weight on all our sailings despite eating until I can't move. I take a mix of elevators and stairs, drink lot's of soda and eat almost constantly on board. Mmm... shwarma!

Of course, the trick is to use up more calories than you take in. We always seem to go on all-day excursions that involve a lot of activiy/walking. I lost 6 pounds on our last Med sailing somehow and boy, did we eat on that trip!

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience. Gaining weight is a major concern of mine for our first cruise in February.. I'm a foodie with a sweet tooth and I know I won't be able to contain myself.

Even using stairs almost exclusively, avoiding overeating, salads at dinners vs entrees (I would order the salad for the evening then another of the same salad w/a grilled chicken breast on top), maybe 3 desserts the entire time, only actually eating breakfast less than half the time (I bring meal replacement shakes), and making it a point to go for a few runs on deck 4....I don't drink soda.... The adult beveraging still kills me and I still gained 10+ lbs over a total of 14 nights this past Sept/Oct. In May when we do the Panama Canal I'm going to drink less adult drinks, restrict food choices even more, and run more. I don't miss desserts on the ships. I dislike them for the most part. It's the adult beverages that are my nemesis!

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience. Gaining weight is a major concern of mine for our first cruise in February.. I'm a foodie with a sweet tooth and I know I won't be able to contain myself. http://distickers.com/ticker/

If you're a foodie you prob'ly won't be very impressed by the desserts. I have a HUGE sweet tooth and there's only a few I'll even eat. For the most part they're pretty bland. I'm no foodie, either. Now if there was a Cupcake Cupboard like the Allure has I'd be broke and rolling off the ship like a big ol' butterball! LOL!

If you're a foodie you prob'ly won't be very impressed by the desserts. I have a HUGE sweet tooth and there's only a few I'll even eat. For the most part they're pretty bland. I'm no foodie, either. Now if there was a Cupcake Cupboard like the Allure has I'd be broke and rolling off the ship like a big ol' butterball! LOL!

Yup! I also have a sweet tooth and I end up passing on the desserts.

I'm thinking that the food served is high in sodium which contributes to the weight gain. I watch my calorie intake and have never gained, but I always end up feeling puffy from water retention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter